We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Massachusetts current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Massachusetts that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.

Adams

Need an Image for ID# 197

Susan B. Anthony Birthplace Museum

67 East Road, P.O. Box 244
Adams, MA  01220
Phone: (413) 743-7121
Year Built: 1817
Admission Price: Adults, $5; Seniors, $3; Children, 6 and udner, fr
Hours: 10-4 pm, Thu-Sat, Oct-May

The newly restored Susan B. Anthony Birthplace Museum is the childhood home of the legendary human rights leader. This rural, Federal-style home, containing a portrait gallery, legacy room, and birthing room, depicts family and work life in the early 1800s, authentic period pieces, ephemera, and a detailed timeline.

Amesbury

Need an Image for ID# 638

John Greenleaf Whittier Home

86 Friend Street
Amesbury, MA  01913
Phone: (978) 388-1337
Year Built: 1829
Admission Price: Donation
Hours: 11am to 4pm Sat, May-Oct

The author and abolitionist lived in the home 1836-92. The house remains almost unchanged and contains original furnishings.

Need an Image for ID# 637

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House

277 Main St.
Amesbury, MA  01913
Phone: (617) 278-9000
Toll Free: (800) 277-8943
Year Built: 1780
Admission Price: $5 suggested donation, children 12 and under free
Hours: See their website

Originally the Squire Bagley house, it was home to Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, from 1868-70.

Amherst

Need an Image for ID# 639

Amherst History Museum

67 Amity Street
Amherst, MA  01002
Phone: (413) 256-0678
Year Built: 1750
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

Housed in the circa 1750 Strong House, the Amherst History Museum offers guided tours detailing the vibrant history of the Town of Amherst and the residents who have lived in the Strong House.

Need an Image for ID# 640

The Emily Dickinson Museum

280 Main Street
Amherst, MA  01002
Phone: (413) 542-8161
Year Built: 1813
Admission Price: Adults $12, Seniors $11, Students $6
Hours: See their website

The Emily Dickinson Museum includes The Homestead, where poet Emily Dickinson was born and lived most of her life, and The Evergreens, home of the poet’s brother and his family. The two houses share three acres of the original Dickinson property in the center of Amherst, Massachusetts.

Arlington

Need an Image for ID# 642

Cyrus E. Dallin Art Museum

611 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA  02474
Phone: (781) 641-0747
Year Built: 1832
Admission Price: Free
Hours: 12pm-4pm, Wed-Sun

The restored 1832 home of Jefferson Cutter features displays the art of sculptor Cyrus E. Dallin.

Need an Image for ID# 641

The Jason Russell House

7 Jason St.
Arlington, MA  02476
Phone: (781) 648-4300
Year Built: 1740
Admission Price: Call
Hours: Call

The Jason Russell House, built in 1740, still bears bullet holes as the site of bloody fighting on the first day of the American Revolution. British soldiers, in retreat from Lexington and Concord, shot and bayoneted Jason Russell on his own doorstep. Eleven other area Minute Men, who had gathered in Arlington, due to its strategic location, also lost their lives here in the April 19, 1775 skirmish.

Avon

Need an Image for ID# 644

Blanchards Colonial Tavern

98 North Main Street
Avon, MA  02322
Phone: (508) 587-2884
Year Built:
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

Blanchard' s Tavern in Avon dates back to the Revolutionary War. It served as a tavern and general store through much of the nineteenth century . In 1937 it became the Avon Town Hall and in 1975 was restored as a colonial tavern offering drinks, snacks, and entertainment of the period . There is also he Captain Samuel Robbins house that is operated as a museum.

Beverly

Need an Image for ID# 645

Balch House

448 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA  01915
Phone: (978) 922-1186
Year Built:
Admission Price: $5
Hours: Jun-Oct

The 1636 frame house was occupied by the Balch family until 1914 and is furnished in period.

Need an Image for ID# 666

Long Hill

572 Essex Street
Beverly, MA  01915
Phone: (978) 921-1944
Year Built: 1916
Admission Price: Free
Hours: 8am-5pm Daily

In 1916, Atlantic Monthly editor/publisher Ellery Sedgwick bought a working farm on a Beverly hillside, where he built a grand summer retreat for his family. Under the expert guidance of his wife, Mabel Cabot Sedgwick, and Marjorie Russell Sedgwick (who married Ellery Sedgwick after the death of his first wife), the Long Hill gardens gained an international reputation.

Need an Image for ID# 664

The John Cabot House

117 Cabot St.
Beverly, MA  01915
Phone: (978) 922-1186
Year Built: 1781
Admission Price: Adults $5, Students/Seniors $4
Hours: 10am-4pm, Tue, Thu-Sat, 1-9pm Wed

The John Cabot House is a Georgian style mansion built in 1781 during the Revolutionary War, and it was the first brick mansion built in Beverly. The wealth of the Cabot family is reflected in the architecture of the house, the beautifully carved paneling, and decorations such as the Dutch tiles surrounding the fireplace. It would have been furnished with elegant furniture and decorative objects from around the world; a showplace to emphasize the success of John Cabot.

Need an Image for ID# 665

The Rev. John Hale Farm

39 Hale Street
Beverly, MA  01915
Phone: (978) 922-1186
Year Built: 1694
Admission Price: Adults $5, Students/Seniors $4
Hours: See their website

The oldest part of the house, two rooms up and two rooms down, was built for Reverend Hale in 1694. In 1745, Colonel Robert Hale, Jr. (John Hale's grandson), added the front section of the house with the gambrel roof. He excavated a cellar (where evidence of a buttery has been found), added the present staircases, and built an addition of two rooms down and two up, along with the gambrel roof that allowed rooms on the third floor. The property at that time included about 100 acres and extended to the ocean.

Boston

Need an Image for ID# 667

Gibson House Museum

137 Beacon Street
Boston, MA  02116
Phone: (617) 267-6338
Year Built: 1859
Admission Price: Adults $9, Students/Seniors $6, Children $3
Hours: Tours at 1pm, 2pm & 3pm, Wed-Sun

Built in 1859-60, the Gibson House stands as the historic house museum of the Back Bay. In 2001, the National Park Service declared the Gibson House a National Historic Landmark. It is unique as an unspoiled single-family residence that retains its kitchen, scullery, butler’s pantry and water closets, as well as formal rooms and private family quarters, filled with the Gibsons’ original furniture and personal possessions. Visitors enjoy a glimpse of the lives of a well-to-do Boston family and their domestic staff.

Need an Image for ID# 669

Nichols House Museum

55 Mount Vernon St.
Boston, MA  02108
Phone: (617) 227-6993
Year Built: 1804
Admission Price: Adults $8
Hours: See their website

The Nichols House Museum occupies an impressive four-story town house, one of the earliest Beacon Hill structures, constructed in 1804. In 1885, Dr. Arthur Nichols purchased the house for his wife and daughters. Their eldest daughter Rose Standish Nichols, noted landscape architect, writer and suffragist, inherited the house. Miss Nichols owned and cared for the house from 1935 until her death in 1960. Since 1961 the Nichols House Museum has been open to the public as an historic house museum reflecting the domestic life of a typical family of Beacon Hill at the turn of the last century. The house is furnished with priceless possessions accumulated over several generations. The collection includes fine European and American wooden furniture from the 17th-19th centuries, ancestral portraits, Flemish tapestries, oriental rugs, European and Asian art, and works by America's foremost sculptor of the 19th century, Augustus Saint-Gaudens.

Need an Image for ID# 668

Otis House

141 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA  02114
Phone: (617) 994-5920
Year Built: 1796
Admission Price: Adults $8, Seniors $7, Students $4
Hours: 11am - 5pm, Wed-Sun

Otis House is the last surviving mansion in Bowdoin Square in Boston's West End neighborhood. Charles Bulfinch designed the house for Harrison Gray Otis, a lawyer who was instrumental in developing nearby Beacon Hill, served in Congress, and was a mayor of Boston.

Need an Image for ID# 670

The Paul Revere House

19 North Square
Boston, MA  02113
Phone: (617) 523-2338
Year Built: 1680
Admission Price: Adults $3.50, Seniors & Students $3, Children $1
Hours: See their website

On the night of April 18, 1775, silversmith Paul Revere left his small wooden home in Boston's North End and set out on a journey that would make him into a legend. Today that home is still standing at 19 North Square and has become a national historic landmark. It is downtown Boston's oldest building and one of the few remaining from an early era in the history of colonial America.

Brookline

Need an Image for ID# 672

Frederick Law Olmsted NHS

99 Warren Street
Brookline, MA  02445
Phone: (617) 566-1689
Year Built: 1883
Admission Price: Free
Hours: 10am-4pm, Wed-Sun during summer

The designer of New York City's Central Park, (as well as San Jose's downtown park, although FLO's design has been lost) worked and lived in this house from 1883 until he retired a decade later. The 2 acre estate reflects his design principle that nature and buildings can exist in harmony.

Need an Image for ID# 673

John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site

83 Beals Street
Brookline, MA  02446
Phone: (617) 566-7937
Year Built: 1909
Admission Price: Free
Hours: See their website

John F. Kennedy NHS preserves the birthplace of America's 35th president. In 1967, the president's mother returned to Brookline, where Kennedy spent his boyhood, and restored the house to her recollection of its 1917 appearance. Each year, thousands of visitors join NPS staff to share Mrs. Kennedy's memories in a tour of the house and neighborhood that, in her words, hold "many happy memories.

Burlington

Need an Image for ID# 528

Francis Wyman House

56 Francis Wyman Road
Burlington, MA  01803
Phone: () -
Year Built: 1666
Admission Price: Free
Hours: Contact Museum

The Francis Wyman house is a historic house in Burlington, MA. The original part of the house was built in 1666 with a major addition around 1730. The house will be open to the public for the first time starting the summer of 2012. Please check our web site for details.

Cambridge

Need an Image for ID# 674

Longfellow House

105 Brattle Street
Cambridge, MA  02138
Phone: (617) 867-4491
Year Built: 1759
Admission Price: Free
Hours: See their website

Longfellow House - Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site preserves the home of Henry W. Longfellow, one of the world’s foremost 19th century poets. The house also served as headquarters for General George Washington during the Siege of Boston, July 1775 - April 1776. In addition to its rich history, the site offers unique opportunities to explore 19th century literature and arts.

Canton

Need an Image for ID# 675

Eleanor Cabot Bradley Estate

2468B Washington Street
Canton, MA 
Phone: () -
Year Built: 1902
Admission Price: Grounds are free, house only open for events
Hours: Sunrise to Sunset, daily

Dr. Arthur Tracy Cabot inherited the family property in the late 1800s. In 1902, Cabot retained noted architect Charles Platt, who specialized in designing impressive country homes in natural surroundings. Arthur Cabot died in 1912, and his wife, Susan, retained ownership for another three decades; in 1945, his niece, Eleanor Cabot Bradley, and her husband, Ralph Bradley, acquired the estate. The Bradleys preserved the genteel traditions of the property, adding such amenities as ponds, a sunken camellia garden, and an art studio. They also maintained a commitment to the formal gardens and other plantings.

Centerville

Need an Image for ID# 676

Centerville Historical Museum

513 Main Street
Centerville, MA  02632
Phone: (508) 775-0331
Year Built: 1840
Admission Price: Adults $7, Seniors/Students $6
Hours: 12-4pm, Tue-Sat, May 1 to Dec 12

The Centerville Historical Museum, founded in 1952, is dedicated to preserving and sharing the history of Centerville and Cape Cod. The fourteen-room museum includes an 1840 house and contains an outstanding collection of historic costumes, maritime and military artifacts, quilts, Crowell birds, 18th and 19th century decorative arts, paintings, tools, and children's toys and dolls.

Chatham

Need an Image for ID# 677

Atwood House Museum

347 Stage Harbor Rd.
Chatham, MA  02633
Phone: (508) 945-2493
Year Built: 1752
Admission Price: Adults $6, Students $3
Hours: See their website

Your journey begins with a tour of the historical dwelling built circa 1752 by Chatham sea captain Joseph Atwood, and occupied by his descendants for some five generations. Since 1927, this Cape Cod style home has been carefully preserved as an historical house museumoffering the rare opportunity to experience Cape Cod life, art, and culture of the 18th and 19th centuries. Captain Atwood's antique dwelling never had running water or central heating. It is fully furnished, as it would have been in the course of its history, with colonial and early American antiques, artwork, accessories, housewares, clothing and toys.

Chestnut Hill

Need an Image for ID# 907

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House

400 Beacon Street
Chestnut Hill, MA  02467
Phone: (617) 278-9000
Toll Free: (800) 277-8943
Year Built: 1880
Admission Price: Adults $5, Children under 12 free
Hours: Contact Museum

The last home of Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science. This large stone building was originally built for a Boston family in the 1880s. When Mrs. Eddy purchased the home, she had it significantly renovated, adding a large addition to accommodate the needs of her growing staff. By the time she moved here, she was the recognized leader of a worldwide religious movement. She occupied a modest suite on the second floor, while most of the house served as executive headquarters for her to carry forward her work for the Christian Science movement. It was here that she founded "The Christian Science Monitor," an international newspaper still published today. Guided tours available year-round; please visit www.longyear.org for details.

Cloucester

Need an Image for ID# 693

Cape Ann Museum

27 Pleasant Street
Cloucester, MA  01930
Phone: (978) 283-0455
Year Built: 1710
Admission Price: Adults $10, Seniors $8
Hours: 10am-5pm, Tue-Sat, 1-4pm Sun (Closed Feb)

The White-Ellery House, located at 245 Washington Street in Gloucester at the Route 128 Grant Circle Rotary, was built in 1710 and is one of just a handful of First Period houses in Eastern Massachusetts that survives to this day. The Captain Elias Davis House, built in 1804 by one of Gloucester's most successful sea captains, houses much of the Museum's Furniture and Decorative Arts Collection.

Cohasset

Need an Image for ID# 678

Capt. John Wilson House

4 Elm Street
Cohasset, MA  02025
Phone: (781) 383-1434
Year Built: 1810
Admission Price: Cal for info
Hours: See their website

Built by David Nichols and purchased soon thereafter by Captain John Wilson, the house remained in the Wilson family until 1912. Through the years the house became a marine supply store, tea room and gift shop, photographer's studio, candy store until it was given to the Historical Society by William McGaw in 1936 for ithe Society's first headquarters and museum. The Wilson House remains the last unaltered example of the 19th century residences that once comprised Cohasset's center village.

Concord

Need an Image for ID# 679

Emerson House

28 Cambridge Turnpike
Concord, MA  01742
Phone: (978) 369-2236
Year Built:
Admission Price: call for info
Hours: call for info

Home of Ralph Waldo Emerson from 1835 until his death in 1882. The house contains some original furnishings.

Need an Image for ID# 681

Orchard House

399 Lexington Rd.
Concord, MA 
Phone: (978) 369-4118
Year Built: 1690
Admission Price: Adults $10, Seniors/Students $8, Youth $5
Hours: See their website

After moving twenty-two times in nearly thirty years, the Alcotts finally found their most permanent home at Orchard House, where they lived from 1858 to 1877. The house is most noted for being where Louisa May Alcott wrote and set her beloved classic, Little Women, in 1868 at a "shelf desk" her father built especially for her.

Need an Image for ID# 680

The Old Manse

269 Monument Street
Concord, MA  01742
Phone: (978) 369-3909
Year Built: 1770
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

Built in 1770 for patriot minister William Emerson, The Old Manse, a National Historic Landmark, became the center of Concord’s political, literary, and social revolutions over the course of the next century. In the mid-19th-century, leading Transcendentalists such as Bronson Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, and Margaret Fuller discussed the issues of the day here, with the Hawthorne and Ripley families.

Cummington

Need an Image for ID# 682

William Cullen Bryant Homestead

207 Bryant Road
Cummington, MA  01026
Phone: (413) 532-1631
Year Built:
Admission Price: Grounds are free, call for access to house
Hours: Sunrise to Sunset, daily

From 1865 until his death in 1878, Bryant summered here at his boyhood home, today a National Historic Landmark. He converted the two-story farmhouse into a rambling three-story Victorian cottage and expanded the sprawling red barn to store apples and pears from his orchards. Inside the house you’ll discover colonial and Victorian pieces from the poet’s family, as well as exotic memorabilia from his extensive European and Asian travels.

Dedham

Need an Image for ID# 683

Fairbanks House

511 East Street
Dedham, MA  02026
Phone: (781) 326-2147
Year Built: 1640
Admission Price: Adults $12, Seniors $10, Children $6
Hours: See their website

The Fairbanks House is believed to be the oldest surviving timber frame house in North America. It was built for a family of Puritan immigrants from Yorkshire in England, Jonathan and Grace Fairebanke and their six children. Dendrochonology (tree ring dating) has confirmed a construction date of the late 1630s-early 1640s. The house was passed down to succeeding generations of the family until the early twentieth century. In all, eight generations of the Fairbanks family lived in the house.

Deerfield

Need an Image for ID# 684

Historic Deerfield

80 Old Main Street
Deerfield, MA  01342
Phone: (413) 774-5581
Year Built:
Admission Price: Adults $14, Youth $5
Hours: 9:30am-4:30pm daily

Historic Deerfield Inc., founded in 1952, is an outdoor history museum that focuses on the history and culture of the Connecticut River Valley and early New England. It has a dual mission of educating the public about the lifestyles of the diverse people who lived here long ago and of preserving antique buildings and collections of regional furniture, silver, textiles, and other decorative arts. First settled in 1669, Deerfield is one of the few towns settled by English colonists along the eastern seaboard that retains its original scale and town plan. Visitors are offered guided and self-guided tours of 12 antique houses ranging in age from 1730 to 1850. Eleven of these houses are on their original sites.

Duxbury

Need an Image for ID# 685

Alden House Historic Site

105 Alden St.
Duxbury, MA  02331
Phone: (781) 934-9092
Year Built: 1653
Admission Price: Adults $5, Children $3
Hours: 12-4pm, Wed-Sat, Jun 1 to Sep 30

Some interesting features of this 1653 building are the powdered clam and oyster shell ceiling in the "great" room, the cambered panels in the "best" room and the gunstock beams found in the chambers.

Need an Image for ID# 688

Gershom Bradford House

931 Tremont Street
Duxbury, MA  02331
Phone: (781) 934-6106
Year Built: 1808
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 1-4pm, Sun, Jul to Aug

Built in 1808 by shipmaster Gershom Bradford, the house belonged to four generations of seafaring Bradfords before the last generation gave it to the Society in 1968. Captain Bradford commanded more than 10 vessels before retiring in 1826 to lead an active life ashore

Need an Image for ID# 687

King Caesar House

120 King Caesar Road
Duxbury, MA  02331
Phone: (781) 934-6106
Year Built: 1809
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 1-4pm, Wed-Sun, Jul to Aug

This Federal mansion was built in 1809 for Ezra Weston II, known as “King Caesar” for his worldwide preeminence as a shipbuilder and merchant. Weston’s enterprise dominated Duxbury in the early 19th century with a large portion of the population employed in the Weston shipyards, farms, wharves, mill, ropewalk, or aboard Weston’s fishing schooners and merchant fleet. Ezra Weston’s ship Hope, built in 1841 was then New England’s largest vessel. Purchased by the Society in 1965, the house is presented for tours as it appeared in the 1820s. The house is noted for its rare French scenic wallpapers, portraits of sea captains, and 19th century furnishings. Two galleries feature rotating exhibits.

Need an Image for ID# 686

Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House

479 Washington Street
Duxbury, MA  02331
Phone: (781) 934-6106
Year Built: 1807
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 9am-4pm, Mon-Fri

Acquired by the Society in 1997 through a community fundraising effort, the Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House is perhaps the most architecturally significant building in Duxbury. Its construction, on a grand scale uncommon in houses of the area, was based on designs by Bulfinch and Asher Benjamin.

East Sandwich

Need an Image for ID# 1039

Benjamin Bye Homestead & Museum

85 Old County Rd
East Sandwich, MA  02537
Phone: (508) 888-4213
Year Built: 1678
Admission Price: $3, Children $1.00)
Hours: 12-4 pm, Tuesday- Saturday, mid-June- mid 0ct.

The Benjamin Nye Homestead & Museum is a home built by Benjamin Nye in 1678. A docent will guide you through seven rooms, each reflecting a different era.

Edgartown

Need an Image for ID# 713

The Vincent House

99A Main Street
Edgartown, MA  02539
Phone: (508) 627-4440
Year Built: 1672
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 11am-2pm, daily, Memorial Day to Columbus Day

Built in 1672, this house is the Island's oldest residence. The house consists of five rooms, furnished with period antiques, to depict Island life throughout the last four centuries.

Essex

Need an Image for ID# 689

Cogswell's Grant

60 Spring Street
Essex, MA  01929
Phone: (978) 768-3632
Year Built: 1728
Admission Price: Adults $10, Seniors $9, Students $5
Hours: 11am-5pm, Wed-Sun, Jun 1 to Oct 15

A mecca for lovers of American folk art, Cogswell’s Grant was the summer home of renowned collectors Bertram K. and Nina Fletcher Little. The colonial-era farmhouse on the property serves as a rich backdrop for their celebrated collection, assembled over a period of nearly sixty years. Though known for their meticulous research, the Littles decorated with an eye for visual delight rather than historic accuracy, and the result is a house rich in atmosphere and crowded with works of strong, even quirky character.

Falmouth

Need an Image for ID# 690

Falmouth Museums on the Green

55 and 65 Palmer Avenue
Falmouth, MA  02540
Phone: (508) 548-4857
Year Built:
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

Falmouth Museums on the Green contain a treasure trove of stories and artifacts that tell the story of the town of Falmouth, Massachusetts. The museums overlook the Village Green where members of the Colonial militia practiced in the 1700s and sea captains built their homes. Two 18th-century houses display period furniture, fine art, textiles and temporary exhibits that provide a glimpse into the town’s rich historic past.

Need an Image for ID# 691

Highfield Hall

56 Highfield Drive
Falmouth, MA  02541
Phone: (508) 495-1878
Year Built: 1878
Admission Price: $5
Hours: See their website

Highfield Hall is an 1878 Cape Cod summer mansion that has undergone a multi-million restoration and is now being used as a community cultural center.

Gloucester

Need an Image for ID# 692

Beauport, Sleeper-McCann House

75 Eastern Point Boulevard
Gloucester, MA  01930
Phone: (978) 283-0800
Year Built: 1907
Admission Price: Adults $15, Seniors $12, Students $8
Hours: 10am-5pm, Tue-Sat, May 25 to Oct 19

Beauport, Sleeper-McCann House, was the summer home of one of America’s first professional interior designers, Henry Davis Sleeper. Perched on a rock ledge overlooking Gloucester Harbor, Beauport became Sleeper’s retreat, backdrop for entertaining, professional showcase, and an inspiration to all who visited. After Sleeper’s death, Beauport was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Charles McCann, who left most of Sleeper’s arrangements and collections intact.

Need an Image for ID# 694

Hammond Castle Museum

80 Hesperus Ave.
Gloucester, MA  01930
Phone: (978) 283-2080
Year Built: 1926
Admission Price: Adults $10, Seniors $9, Children $8
Hours: 10am-4pm, Tue-Sun

John Hays Hammond, Jr. built his medieval-style castle between the years 1926 and 1929 to serve both as his home and as a backdrop for his collection of Roman, medieval, and Renaissance artifacts. The castle was constructed as a wedding present for his wife Irene Fenton Hammond to prove how much he cared for her. In addition, the building housed the Hammond Research Corporation, from which Dr. Hammond produced over 400 patents and the ideas for over 800 inventions. Second only to Thomas Alva Edison in number of patents, John Hammond was one of America's premier inventors. His most important work was the development of remote control via radio waves, which earned him the title, "The Father of Remote Control."

Need an Image for ID# 695

Sargent House

49 Middle Street
Gloucester, MA  01930
Phone: (978) 281-2432
Year Built: 1782
Admission Price: Adults $10, Students $5
Hours: 12-4pm, Fri-Sun

Visitors to the Sargent House Museum learn about the early history of Gloucester from its beginnings as a farming and lumbering outpost to its evolution into the country's premier seaport. Visitors will also see a collection of original works by the great portrait painter John Singer Sargent (1856-1925) descendant of the Sargent family, who loved the house and its ties to Post-Revolutionary Gloucester.

Hadley

Need an Image for ID# 697

Porter-Phelps-Huntington Museum

130 River Drive
Hadley, MA  01035
Phone: (413) 584-4699
Year Built: 1752
Admission Price: Adults $5, Children $1
Hours: 1-4:30pm, Sat-Wed, May 15 to Oct 15

The House was built in 1752 by Moses and Elizabeth Porter on a tract of land known as “Forty Acres and its skirts.” These acres had been owned in common by the householders in the northeast quarter of the stockaded town of Hadley when it was laid out in 1659. After the Porter's only child, Elizabeth, married Charles Phelps in 1770, the house was enlarged and refined. Since 1799 there have been no structural changes.

Haverhill

Need an Image for ID# 698

The Buttonwoods Museum

240 Water Street
Haverhill, MA  01835
Phone: (978) 374-4626
Year Built: 1710
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: See their website

The museum features the 1710 John Ward House, the 1815 Duncan House, and the 1850 Daniel Hunkin shoe shop.

Need an Image for ID# 699

Whittier Birthplace

305 Whittier Road
Haverhill, MA  01830
Phone: (978) 373-3979
Year Built: 1688
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors/Students $3, Children $2
Hours: See their website

The Whittier Birthplace is an outstanding example of an old New England farm, and located on its original site, is substantially the same as when the Poet lived there in 1807 until 1836. The Birthplace is the setting of his most famous and beloved poem Snow-Bound. Many settings from his poems are recognizable to those who have read them.

Holyoke

Need an Image for ID# 700

Wistariahurst Museum

238 Cabot Street
Holyoke, MA  01040
Phone: (413) 322-5660
Year Built: 1874
Admission Price: Adults $7, Seniors/Students $5
Hours: 12-4pm Sat-Mon

Welcome to Wistariahurst. Wistariahurst is the former home of two generations of the Skinner Family, manufacturers of nationally renowned silks and satins, and prominent residents of Holyoke. The grand estate and gardens have been a focal point in the Holyoke landscape since 1874. In 1959, Katharine Skinner Kilborne, the youngest daughter of William and Sarah Skinner, and her heirs donated Wistariahurst to the City of Holyoke to be used for cultural and educational purposes.

Ipswich

Need an Image for ID# 701

Castle Hill on the Crane Estate

290 Argilla Road
Ipswich, MA  01938
Phone: (978) 356-4351
Year Built: 1928
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

In the decades following Richard T. Crane, Jr.’s purchase of the property in 1910, Castle Hill came to exemplify the American Country Place Era with its farm and estate buildings, designed grounds and gardens, and diverse natural areas. The Cranes hired some of the century’s most notable architects and landscape architects. The first house built atop Castle Hill, an Italian Renaissance Revival villa designed by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, was razed and replaced in 1928 with the 59-room Stuart-style mansion designed by architect David Adler you see today. The Great House is furnished with period antiques.

Need an Image for ID# 702

Greenwood Farm

47 Jeffreys Neck Road
Ipswich, MA  01938
Phone: (978) 356-4351
Year Built: 1694
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

The reservation takes its name from Thomas S. Greenwood who built the 19th-century white farmhouse. To its rear, the Paine House (1694), a yellow clapboard saltbox, is a remarkable example of First Period (1620–1725) architecture. Three generations of the Paine family made their home here, including Robert Paine, foreman of the Salem witch trial jury in 1692. From 1916, Greenwood Farm was a summer retreat for the Robert G. Dodge family, who used the Paine House as a guesthouse.

Need an Image for ID# 703

Ipswich Museum

54 South Main Street
Ipswich, MA  01938
Phone: (978) 356-2811
Year Built: 1677
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

The museum maintains two historic homes, the 1677 Wipple House and the 1800 Heard House. Both properties are filled with original architectural detail, furnishings, and artifacts that give visitors an intimate glimpse into the lives of early Ipswich residents.

Jamaica Plain

Need an Image for ID# 433

Loring-Greenough House

Jamaica Plain Tuesday Club
12 South Street
Jamaica Plain, MA  02130
Phone: (617) 524-6007
Year Built: 1760
Admission Price: members free. adults, $5.00
Hours: by appointment during the week. Sunday tours.

The Loring-Greenough House was constructed in 1760 by Commodore Loring and owned by the Greenough family from 1783 until 1924. The Jamaica Plain Tuesday Club purchased the house in 1924 and has been steward ever since then.

Lenox

Need an Image for ID# 705

The Mount

2 Plunkett Street
Lenox, MA  01240
Phone: (413) 551-5111
Year Built: 1902
Admission Price: Aduts $18, Senios $17, Students $13
Hours: See their website

The Mount is a turn-of-the-century home that Edith Wharton designed and built based on the precepts outlined in her 1897 book The Decoration of Houses, co-authored with architect Ogden Codman, Jr. A perfect example of the newly dawned American Renaissance, the classical revival house and its formal gardens represent the only full expression of Wharton’s architectural and landscape architectural theories.

Need an Image for ID# 438

Ventfort Hall Mansion and Gilded Age Museum

104 Walker St.
Lenox, MA  01240
Phone: (413) 637-3206
Year Built: 1893
Admission Price: Please see our website for current admission prici
Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Mon-Fri, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Sat & Sun

Ventfort Hall was the summer cottage of George and Sarah Morgan, sister of J.P. Morgan. It was constructed between 1891 and 1893.It is a Jacobean Revival style mansion. Designed by the architects Rotch & Tilden, it is located in Lenox, Massachusetts. The house has 28,000 square feet of living space in it, about 50 rooms. Ventfort Hall has been under restoration since 1997. In 1991 it was slated for demolition, during this time the paneling was stripped from the walls, and part of the roof collapsed. In June of 1997 it was rescued by the Ventfort Hall Association. The non-profit has slowly but surely been repairing the damage, as well as trying to establish a national museum of the Gilded Age within its walls. Please visit our website for further details.

Lexington

Need an Image for ID# 706

The Lexington Historical Society

36 Hancock Street
Lexington, MA  02420
Phone: (781) 862-1703
Year Built: 1737
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

Two taverns and the 1698 Hancock-Clarke House are open. The house is the site where Samuel Adams and John Hancock heard news of the British advance from Paul Revere.

Lincoln

Need an Image for ID# 707

Codman Estate

34 Codman Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
Phone: (617) 994-6690
Year Built: 1740
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors $4, Students $2.50
Hours: 11am-5pm, 2nd and 4th Sat, Jun 1 to Oct 15

In the 1790s, John Codman carried out extensive improvements to the original Georgian house and surrounding grounds. Sixty years later, his grandson updated the house in keeping with Victorian taste and filled the house with the finest New York furnishings. Today, the interiors are richly furnished with portraits, memorabilia, and art works collected in Europe, showing the decorative schemes of every era, including those of noted early twentieth-century interior designer Ogden Codman, Jr.

Need an Image for ID# 1153

Gropius House

68 Baker Bridge Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
Phone: (781) 259-8098
Year Built: 1938
Admission Price: Adults $15. Seniors and Students $12
Hours: Wed. – Sun., May 1 – Oct. 31 Sat. and Sun., Nov. 1 – April 30 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Walter Gropius, founder of the German design school known as the Bauhaus, was one of the most influential architects of the twentieth century. He designed Gropius House as his family home when he came to teach architecture at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design. Modest in scale, the house was revolutionary in impact. Gropius House is a National Historic Landmark.

Lowell

Need an Image for ID# 708

Whistler House Museum of Art

243 Worthen St.
Lowell, MA 
Phone: (978) 452-7641
Year Built: 1823
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors/Students $4
Hours: 11am-4pm, Wed-Sat

Artwork from the Museum's permanent collection is on display in the galleries of the historic house. The focus of the collection is late nineteenth century and early twentieth century American representational art, with special emphasis on the artists of New England. Among the artists represented are Frank Weston Benson, Thomas B. Lawson, William Morris Hunt, William M. Paxton, David D. Neal, Frederick Porter Vinton, William Preston Phelps, Cullen Yates, and Aldro T. Hibbard.

Lynn

Need an Image for ID# 709

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House

8 Broad St.
Lynn, MA  01902
Phone: (617) 278-9000
Toll Free: (800) 277-8943
Year Built:
Admission Price: $5 suggested donation, children 12 and under free
Hours: See their website

Mary Baker Eddy, founder of the Church of Christ, Scientist, purchased this Italianate house in the Lynn "Diamond District" in 1875 and lived there until 1881, in what she would call the “Christian Scientists’ Home.”

Marblehead

Need an Image for ID# 710

Jeremiah Lee Mansion

170 Washington St.
Marblehead, MA  01945
Phone: (781) 631-1768
Year Built: 1768
Admission Price: $5
Hours: 10am-4pm, Tue-Sat, Jun thru Oct

The Jeremiah Lee Mansion is a magnificent colonial Georgian home built by American craftsmen in 1768 when Lee was the wealthiest merchant and ship owner in Massachusetts. Preserved in its nearly original state, the house stands as a tribute to both colonial America's strong ties to England and its independent commercial success.

Need an Image for ID# 711

King Hooper Mansion

8 Hooper Street
Marblehead, MA  01945
Phone: (781) 631-2608
Year Built: 1728
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 12-5pm Tue-Fri, Sun and 10-5pm Sat

The King Hooper Mansion, home of the Marble­head Arts Associ­ation since 1938 was built by Greenfield Hooper, a candle maker, in 1728. His son, Robert Hooper, a wealthy shipping merchant, added the front section of the house in 1745. He was given the affectionate title of “King” by local seamen because of his reputation for geniality and fairness.

Marshfield

Need an Image for ID# 712

The Isaac Winslow House

Webster at Careswell Streets
Marshfield, MA  02050
Phone: (781) 837-5753
Year Built: 1699
Admission Price: Adults $3, Children $1
Hours: 11am-5pm, Wed-Sun, Jun 1 to Oct 15

The Isaac Winslow House was built circa 1699 for the Hon. Isaac Winslow (1671–1738) at the place named "Careswell" after their family home "Kerswell" in Worcestershire, England. This was the third house built on land granted to Gov. Edward Winslow (1595–1655) in the 1630s who erected the first homestead.

Medford

Need an Image for ID# 714

Royall House and Slave Quarters

15 George Street
Medford, MA  02155
Phone: (781) 396-9032
Year Built: 1737
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

In the eighteenth century, the Royall House and Slave Quarters was home to the largest slaveholding family in Massachusetts and the enslaved Africans who made their lavish way of life possible. Today, the Royall House and Slave Quarters is a museum whose architecture, household items, archaeological artifacts, and programs bear witness to intertwined stories of wealth and bondage, set against the backdrop of America’s quest for independence. The Slave Quarters is the only remaining such structure in the northern United States, and the Royall House is among the finest colonial-era buildings in New England.

Milton

Need an Image for ID# 715

Forbes House Museum

215 Adams Street
Milton, MA  02186
Phone: (617) 696-1815
Year Built: 1833
Admission Price: Adults $8, Senior/Students $5
Hours: 1-3pm Wed, Sat, Sun

Long considered the Jewel of Milton, the Forbes House Museum chronicles the history of an entrepreneurial American family. The majestic Greek Revival mansion, built in 1833 for Margaret Perkins Forbes, was commissioned by her sons, China Trade merchants Captain Robert Bennet Forbes (1804–89) and John Murray Forbes (1813–98). Today, the Museum contains the treasures of four generations of the Forbes family.

Need an Image for ID# 193

Suffolk Resolves House

1370 Canton Avenue
Milton, MA  02186
Phone: (617) 333-9700
Year Built: 1764
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: See their website

The Suffolk Resolves House is the headquarters of the Milton Historical Society; in its parlor a precursor to the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1774.

Monson

Need an Image for ID# 1090

Keep Homestead Museum

35 Ely Rd.
mailing: 110 Main St.
Monson, MA  01057
Phone: (413) 267-4137
Year Built: 1863
Admission Price: None. Donations accepted
Hours: 1:00-3:30pm, 1st Sunday of month, April-December

The Keep Homestead Museum is a beautifully preserved and restored 19th century farm house. The homestead, consisting of the land, a barn and the house with sixteen rooms, three attics and three cellars was donated to the Town of Monson when Myra Keep Moulton died in 1988. The farm had been in her family since 1854. With a superb collection of home furnishings, china and countless other belongings of a family that lived there for over 150 years – including the bedroom that Charles and Pearl Keep moved into in September 1893 and that has the original wallpaper, carpet, furniture bought for their marriage, and a copy of the bill of sale for the furniture. The 1st section built ca. 1749; others in 1820 & 1863.

Monterey

Need an Image for ID# 717

Bidwell House Museum

100 Art School Road
Monterey, MA  01245
Phone: (413) 528-6888
Year Built: 1750
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 11am-4pm Thu-Mon, Memorial Day to Columbus Day

The Bidwell House Museum, set in the Berkshire hills of Western Massachusetts, is an elegant Georgian saltbox originally built circa 1750 as a parsonage. Authentically restored, filled with antiques and surrounded by 192 acres of beautiful grounds and hiking trails, the museum tells the story of the early settlement of the Berkshires.

Nantucket

Need an Image for ID# 718

Nantucket Historical Association

15 Broad Street
Nantucket, MA  02554
Phone: (508) 228-1894
Year Built:
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

The association maintains 11 properties. Separate admissions are charged, but a combination pass is available.

New Bedford

Need an Image for ID# 719

Rotch-Jones-Duff House and Garden Museum

396 County Street
New Bedford, MA  02740
Phone: (508) 997-1401
Year Built: 1834
Admission Price: Adults $6, Seniors/Students $5, Children $3
Hours: 10am-4pm Mon-Sat, 12-4pm Sun

Built by shipwrights in 1834 for whaling merchant William Rotch Jr., the Rotch-Jones-Duff (RJD) House and Garden Museum epitomizes the “brave houses and flowery gardens” described by Herman Melville in Moby-Dick. Greek Revival in style, it was designed by architect Richard Upjohn, a founder and first president of the American Institute or Architects.

Newbury

Need an Image for ID# 720

Coffin House

14 High Road
Newbury, MA  01951
Phone: (978) 462-2634
Year Built: 1678
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors $4, Students $2.50
Hours: 1st and 3rd Sat, Jun 1 to Oct 15

Coffin House was occupied by the Coffin family over three centuries, and provides fascinating insight into domestic life in rural New England. The structure, which contains the family's furnishings, began as a simple dwelling built in the post-medieval style. Tristram Coffin and his family lived, cooked, and slept in two or possibly three rooms; their possessions were few.

Need an Image for ID# 721

Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm

5 Little’s Lane
Newbury, MA  01951
Phone: (978) 462-2634
Year Built: 1690
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors/Students $4
Hours: 11am-5pm, Thu-Sun, Jun 1 to Oct 15

Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm is a family-friendly site with activities for visitors of all ages. The 230-acre site includes a late seventeenth-century manor house that served as the country seat of wealthy Newburyport merchants and an attached farmhouse that was home to a Lithuanian farm family for most of the twentieth century. The site also fosters farm animals in partnership with the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Visit friendly sheep, goats, chickens, and a horse throughout the year.

Newton

Need an Image for ID# 722

Jackson Homestead and Museum

527 Washington St.
Newton, MA  02458
Phone: (617) 796-1450
Year Built: 1809
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors/Children $3
Hours: 11am-5pm Tue-Fri, 12am-5pm Sat-Sun

The Jackson Homestead was built by Timothy Jackson in 1809 in what became known as the Federal style of architecture.

North Andover

Need an Image for ID# 1128

Johnson Cottage

North Andover Historical Socie
153 Academy Road
North Andover, MA  01845
Phone: (978) 686-4035
Year Built: 1789
Admission Price: $7 adults; $5 students, seniors (65+)
Hours: Tuesday-Friday; 10am-noon & 1-3pm

A popular form of vernacular architecture, this two room cottage was expanded by the next owner, Samuel Johnson sometime after 1796 and now consists of three rooms: a chamber, expanded kitchen or great room and a formal parlor. Johnson Cottage is a rare survival of this house form and exhibits many earlier Georgian design qualities. Due to the economic position of the Johnson family and its subsequent sale to the Stevens family for a guest house, the main house was never expanded beyond its early nineteenth century appearance.The house currently conveys family life in the Early Republic era of North Parish, Andover history.

Need an Image for ID# 1127

Parson Barnard House

North Andover Historical Socie
179 Osgood Street
North Andover, MA  01845
Phone: (978) 686-4035
Year Built: 1715
Admission Price: Free on first Saturdays; private tours $7 for adul
Hours: First Saturday of the month, June - October, 11am - 3pm or by appt. pbarnardhouse@verizon.net

The Parson Barnard House (1715) is located at 179 Osgood Street and retains many of its original features, based on a documented history of this significant Eighteenth Century building. The first owners and inhabitants of the house were ministers of the North Parish Church of North Andover, including Rev. Thomas Barnard, Rev. John Barnard and Rev. William Symmes. Towards the end of the eighteenth century the house was used as a summer home at which time the carriage barn was built.The North Andover Historical Society purchased the Parson Barnard House in 1950 in order to preserve a typical house built in the town during the early Eighteenth Century.

Need an Image for ID# 723

The Stevens-Coolidge Place

137 Andover Street
North Andover, MA  01845
Phone: (978) 682-3580
Year Built: 1800
Admission Price: Free
Hours: 8am-Sunset, Daily for gardens, home currently not open

The Stevens-Coolidge Place is a wonderful example of “the country place,” when rural retreats were designed as places that integrated indoor and outdoor spaces – and that were meant to be lived in as well as admired. Formerly known as Ashdale Farm, it served as the summer home of John Gardner Coolidge – a diplomat who was descended from Thomas Jefferson and was nephew to Isabella Stewart Gardner – and Helen Stevens Coolidge from 1914 to 1962.

North Grafton

Need an Image for ID# 696

Willard House and Clock Museum

11 Willard Street
North Grafton, MA  01536
Phone: (508) 839-3500
Year Built: 1718
Admission Price: Adults $7, Seniors/Students $6, Children $3
Hours: See their website

Nestled in the rolling hills of Central Massachusetts, Willard House is Grafton's oldest building, constructed in 1718 by Joseph Willard in what was then known as the Indian settlement of Hassanamisco. Four of Joseph's grandsons - Benjamin, Simon, Ephraim and Aaron Willard - would become America's preeminent 19th century clockmakers, making their first clocks in 1766 in their small Grafton workshop.

North Oxford

Need an Image for ID# 724

Clara Barton Birthplace Museum

66 Clara Barton Road
North Oxford, MA  01537
Phone: (509) 987-2056
Year Built: 1817
Admission Price: Adults $6, Seniors $5, Children $3
Hours: See their website

Clarissa Harlowe "Clara" Barton was born in a small North Oxford farmhouse on Christmas day 1821. She was raised in the Universalist tradition and attended the Oxford Universalist Church founded by the Rev. Hosea Ballou. A timid, bashful child, Clara grew into a courageous, compassionate leader known the world over for her work as a Civil War battlefield nurse and founder of the American National Red Cross - yet ironically she did not recognize her own selfless bravery.

North Swansea

Need an Image for ID# 725

Martin House Farm

22 Stoney Hill Road
North Swansea, MA  02777
Phone: (508) 379-0376
Year Built:
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: 1-4pm Sun, Jun 10 thru Oct

The Martin House Farm is a rare example of an 18th and early 19th century farm which still retains the character of its original setting. It consists of the house, two barns and cultivated fields surrounded by dry stone walls and woodlands. The home was lived in continuously by members of the Martin family for over 200 years.

North Weymouth

Need an Image for ID# 754

Abigail Adams Birthplace

180 Norton St.
North Weymouth, MA  02191
Phone: (781) 277-1271
Year Built: 1685
Admission Price: Adults $5, Children $1
Hours: See their website

The birthplace of Abigail Smith Adams was built in 1685 for the Reverend Samuel Torrey, minister of The First Church in Weymouth. The original location was at the corner of North and East Streets, three hundred feet to the southeast of its present location.

Pittsfield

Need an Image for ID# 726

Arrowhead

780 Holmes Road
Pittsfield, MA  01201
Phone: (413) 442-1793
Year Built:
Admission Price: Adults $13, Children $8
Hours: 9:30am-5pm Daily, Memorial Day to Columbus Day

In 1851, Herman Melville complete "Moby Dick" while living in the house.

Plymouth

Need an Image for ID# 728

Harlow House

119 Sandwich Street
Plymouth, MA  02361
Phone: (508) 746-0012
Year Built: 1677
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: 2-6pm Thu, Jun thru Aug

Built in 1677, the gambrel-roofed Harlow Old Fort House is one of the few remaining 17th century buildings in the oldest established town in the Commonwealth. It was originally the family residence of settler William Harlow, a farmer, cooper and town official, who also served as sergeant of the local militia and participated in King Philip's War. In 1676, Harlow was granted permission to salvage material from the Pilgrim's fort-house on Burial Hill to use in the construction of his new dwelling. From the early 19th century, the Harlow House has been notable for the hand-hewn beams attributed to this source.

Need an Image for ID# 727

Hedge House

126 Water Street
Plymouth, MA  02361
Phone: (508) 746-0012
Year Built: 1809
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: 2-6pm Wed-Sun, Jun thru Aug

The 1809 Hedge House is one of Plymouth's finest examples of Federal period architecture, featuring octagonal rooms in the mainblock, and a rare, intact carriage house. Built by sea captain William Hammatt, the house was originally located on Court St., where Memorial Hall is today. In 1830, merchant Thomas Hedge purchased the house and added a three-story ell to accommodate his large family.

Need an Image for ID# 730

Jabez Howland House

33 Sandwich Street
Plymouth, MA  02360
Phone: (508) 746-9590
Year Built: 1667
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: 10am-4:30pm daily, late May to mid Oct

The Jabez Howland House is the only existing house in Plymouth where Pilgrims actually lived. The original 17th century two-story timber framed house consisted of the porch, hall and hall chamber. John Howland and his wife, Elizabeth Tilley Howland spent their winters here with their son Jabez and his family. After John’s death at age 80, and the fire that destroyed their Rocky Nook farm, Elizabeth lived here until 1680 when Jabez sold the house. It was a private residence until 1912 when it was purchased for a museum.

Need an Image for ID# 729

Spooner House

27 North Street
Plymouth, MA  02361
Phone: (508) 746-0012
Year Built: 1749
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: 2-6pm Thu-Sat, Jun thru Aug

Built circa 1749 for the widow Hannah Jackson, the Spooner House is one of the oldest structures on Plymouth's picturesque North Street. It was home to one Plymouth family, the Spooners, for over two hundred years. The first Spooner to occupy the house was Deacon Ephraim Spooner, a successful local merchant and patriot during the American Revolution.

Quincy

Need an Image for ID# 731

Adams National Historic Park

1250 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 
Phone: (617) 770-1175
Year Built: 1731
Admission Price: See their website
Hours: See their website

Adams National Historical Park was the home of two American presidents and subsequent generations of their descendants from 1720 to 1927. The family's experience represented, shaped, and mirrored significant events in the social, cultural, political, and intellectual history of the nation.

Need an Image for ID# 733

Quincy Homestead

34 Butler Rd
Quincy, MA  02170
Phone: (617) 472-3190
Year Built: 1686
Admission Price: Free
Hours: See their website

A National Historic Landmark, the Quincy Homestead is significant for its role in early American history, for its architecture, and for its Quincy family association. The property, located at the corner of Hancock Street and Butler Road, is part of the original land that Edmund Quincy acquired for a farm in the 1630s. The present house, dating from 1686, was enlarged and enhanced over a period of more than 200 years. Its majestic Georgian frontispiece and gambrel roof, with distinctive dormer windows, give the building a stately and substantial appearance.

Need an Image for ID# 732

Quincy House

20 Muirhead Street
Quincy, MA  02170
Phone: (617) 994-5930
Year Built: 1770
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors $4, Students $2.50
Hours: 1-5pm, 1st Sat Jun-Oct

This country estate overlooking Quincy Bay transports visitors to the Revolutionary War era and tells the story of a woman’s work to preserve her family’s history more than a hundred years later. Revolutionary leader Josiah Quincy built the house in 1770. Quincy and his family played key roles in the social and political life of Massachusetts for generations, producing three mayors of Boston and a president of Harvard.

Rockport

Need an Image for ID# 734

Old Castle

Castle Lane
Rockport, MA 
Phone: (978) 546-9533
Year Built: 1711
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors $4, Students $2.50
Hours: 2-5pm Sat, Jul-Aug

The exact year when the "Old Castle" was built is unknown at this time. It is however, believed to have been built in 1712. Its first owner was Jethro Wheeler, a cordwainer(shoemaker) from Rowley, who came here with his wife and nine children in 1713, and whose family lived in the house for six generations. Since the oldest of his sons, Benjamin, had ten children and Benjamin Jr. had eleven, while most of their siblings were equally prolific, it seems safe to say that several hundred present day Rockporters can trace their ancestry back to the Old Castle.

Need an Image for ID# 735

Sewall Scripture Museum

40 King Street
Rockport, MA 
Phone: (978) 546-9533
Year Built: 1832
Admission Price: Adults $5
Hours: 2-5pm Tue, Fri, Sat - Jul thru mid-Sep

The house displays a variety of historical artifacts from the Rockport area.

Roxbury

Need an Image for ID# 671

Shirley-Eustis House

33 Shirley Street
Roxbury, MA  02119
Phone: (617) 442-2275
Year Built: 1747
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 1-4pm, Thu-Sun during summer

The 1747 Palladian house was built for governor William Shirley, and at the turn of the 19th century it was remodelled in the Federal style for former governor William Eustis. Some furnishings are original.

Salem

Need an Image for ID# 736

The House of The Seven Gables

115 Derby Street
Salem, MA  01970
Phone: (978) 744-0991
Year Built: 1668
Admission Price: Adults $12.50, Seniors $11.50, Children $7.50
Hours: See their website

The House of the Seven Gables was built by a Salem sea captain and merchant named John Turner in 1668 and occupied by three generations of the Turner family before being sold to Captain Samuel Ingersoll in 1782. An active captain during the Great Age of Sail, Ingersoll died at sea leaving the property to his daughter Susanna, a cousin of famed author Nathaniel Hawthorne. Hawthorne's visits to his cousin's home are credited with inspiring the setting and title of his 1851 novel The House of the Seven Gables.

Sandwich

Need an Image for ID# 738

Wing Fort House

69 Spring Hill Road
Sandwich, MA  02563
Phone: (508) 833-1540
Year Built: 1641
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: 10am-4pm Tue-Sat, mid Jun thru Sep

Built in 1641, the house was occupied continuously by members of the Wing family until it became a museum in 1942. Seven rooms have original 17th century antiques.

Saugus

Need an Image for ID# 737

Saugus Iron Works

244 Central Street
Saugus, MA  01906
Phone: (781) 233-0050
Year Built:
Admission Price: Free
Hours: 9am-5pm Daily, May thru Oct

The Iron Works House dates from the 17th century and contains early American furnishings and exhibits.

Scituate

Need an Image for ID# 739

Cudworth House, Barn And Cattle Pound

331 First Parish Road
Scituate, MA 
Phone: (781) 545-1083
Year Built: 1797
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: Call for info

The Cudworth House sits on land granted to Richard Garrett before 1646. In 1728 Jael Garrett sold the dwelling house and land to James Cudworth. Ownership passed to his grandson, Zephaniah, who built the present house in 1797 around the chimney of the original structure on the site. In 1851 Israel Thorndike purchased the property from the Cudworths, and in 1916 it became the property of the Town of Scituate. That same year the Scituate Historical Society formed, and the Town turned administrative control of the site over to the non-profit organization.

Need an Image for ID# 740

Mann Farmhouse and Museum

108 Greenfield Lane
Scituate, MA  02066
Phone: (781) 545-1083
Year Built: 1636
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: Call for info

Three generations of the Mann family lived at the Mann Farmhouse at the corner of Stockbridge Road and Greenfield Lane, direct descendants of early settler Richard Mann who lived on North Scituate’s Mann Hill overlooking Mushquashcut Pond where he met his death in 1655/6.

Sheffield

Need an Image for ID# 643

Ashley House

117 Cooper Hill Road
Sheffield, MA  01257
Phone: (413) 229-8600
Year Built: 1735
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Wed-Sun, 1-5, late Jun to Labor Day; Sat-Sun 1-5 late May to Jun and Labor Day to mid Oct

The oldest dwelling in Befkshire County, the 1735 home is furnished in period.

Stockbridge

Need an Image for ID# 741

Chesterwood

4 Williamsville Road
Stockbridge, MA  01262
Phone: (413) 298-3579
Year Built:
Admission Price: Adults $16, Children $8
Hours: See their website

Chesterwood, a National Trust Historic Site, is the country home, studio and gardens of America’s foremost sculptor of public monuments, Daniel Chester French (1850-1931), creator of the Minute Man and Abraham Lincoln for the Lincoln Memorial.

Need an Image for ID# 742

Merwin House

14 Main Street
Stockbridge, MA  01262
Phone: (617) 994-6662
Year Built: 1825
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors $4, Students $2.50
Hours: See their website

William and Elizabeth Doane purchased this handsome house in 1875 as their summer retreat. They named it "Tranquility," as it overlooks a peaceful bend in the Housatonic River. During this period, the town of Stockbridge, in the heart of the Berkshires, was becoming a popular summer destination for New Yorkers like the Doanes.

Need an Image for ID# 744

Naumkeag

5 Prospect Hill Road
Stockbridge, MA  01262
Phone: (413) 298-3239
Year Built: 1884
Admission Price: Adults $15
Hours: 10am-5pm, daily May 26 to Oct 15

This architectural masterpiece is, at its heart, a family home. Joseph Choate, a leading 19th-century attorney, hired the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, & White to design the 44-room “cottage,” Naumkeag, which would serve as a summer retreat for three generations of Choates.

Need an Image for ID# 743

The Mission House

19 Main Street
Stockbridge, MA  01262
Phone: (413) 298-3239
Year Built: 1742
Admission Price: Adults $6
Hours: 11am-1pm Sat-Sun, Jul thru Aug

In the mid-1730s, the Mohicans living in western Massachusetts gave permission for a young minister to live among them. The Rev. John Sergeant lived in a simple cabin until he married Abigail Williams in 1739 and built the Mission House c.1742.

Stoughton

Need an Image for ID# 745

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House

133 Central Street
Stoughton, MA  02072
Phone: (617) 278-9000
Toll Free: (800) 277-8943
Year Built: 1840
Admission Price: $5 suggested donation, children 12 and under free
Hours: Open by appointment

Mrs. Eddy lived with the Wentworth family in this house from 1868 to 1870. Here she continued her deep study of the Bible while writing, and teaching Christian Science to others.

Sturbridge

Need an Image for ID# 746

Old Sturbridge Village

1 Old Sturbridge Village Road
Sturbridge, MA  01566
Phone: () -
Toll Free: (800) 733-1830
Year Built:
Admission Price: Adults $24, Seniors $22, Youths $8
Hours: See their website

Old Sturbridge Village is a living, breathing, vibrant village depicting life in New England from 1790-1840. Visitors can meet historians in costume and tour 40 antique buildings, including a country store, school, and water-powered mills.

Swampscott

Need an Image for ID# 747

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House

23 Paradise Road
Swampscott, MA  01907
Phone: (781) 599-1853
Year Built:
Admission Price: $5
Hours: 10am-4pm Wed-Sat, 1-4pm Sun

While living in the home in 1866, Mrs. Eddy experienced the healing that led her to discover Christian Science.

Need an Image for ID# 908

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House

23 Paradise Road
Swampscott, MA  01907
Phone: (781) 599-1853
Toll Free: (800) 277-8943
Year Built:
Admission Price: Adults $5, Children under 12 free
Hours: Contact Museum

Tour the home where Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, experienced the healing through prayer that would bring great changes to her life, and to the lives of many others. She was brought here the morning after a fall on an icy sidewalk in nearby Lynn in February 1866. Although it looked as though the effects of the accident would prove fatal, she found herself suddenly healed while reading a New Testament account of one of Jesus' healings. The profound insight she glimpsed at the moment led to a fresh understanding of the Bible and to her discovery of Christian Science. Guided tours available year-round. Please visit www.longyear.org for details.

Topsfield

Need an Image for ID# 748

Parson Capen House

1 Howlett Street
Topsfield, MA  01983
Phone: () -
Year Built:
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 1-4pm Wed, Fri Jun 15 to Sep 15

The Parson Capen House is one of the finest surviving example of Elizabethan architecture in America. The house is situated on a knoll overlooking the Common, originally on a twelve acre lot of land granted Reverend Capen by the Town in 1682. Parson Capen served the Church in Topsfield for 44 years until his death.

Tyringham

Need an Image for ID# 749

Santarella

75 Main Rd.
Tyringham, MA  01264
Phone: (413) 243-2819
Year Built:
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: By Appointment

The studio of sculptor Sir Henry Kitson features a roof that is an 80 ton sculpture of a thatched roof.

Waltham

Need an Image for ID# 750

Gore Place

52 Gore Street
Waltham, MA  02453
Phone: (781) 894-2798
Year Built: 1806
Admission Price: Adults $12, Children $6
Hours: 1pm Mon-Fri, 12-3pm Sat

Gore Place, the Federal period, historic house and estate of Massachusetts Governor Christopher Gore, includes a small farm with sheep, goats and poultry. The elegantly furnished mansion has been called “the Monticello of the North” and architectural historians consider it to be the most significant Federal period mansion in New England.

Wenham

Need an Image for ID# 751

Wenham Museum

132 Main Street
Wenham, MA  01984
Phone: (978) 468-2377
Year Built: 1660
Admission Price: Adults $8, Children $6
Hours: 10am-4pm Tue-Sun

The 1660 Claflin-Richards house is furnished in period and is noteworthy for its late Elizabethan construction. Displays include costumes, quilts, dolls, dollhouses and toys.

West Springfield

Need an Image for ID# 752

Josiah Day House Museum

70 Park Street
West Springfield, MA  01089
Phone: (413) 734-8322
Year Built: 1754
Admission Price: Donation
Hours: By Appointment

The oldest known brick salt-box style home in the United States. Owned by four generations of the Josiah Day family until sold to the Ramapogue Historical Society in 1903. All furnishings and artifacts are appropriate to the time period (pre-1902), including many original Day family items.

Need an Image for ID# 753

Storrowton Village

1305 Memorial Avenue
West Springfield, MA  01089
Phone: (413) 205-5051
Year Built:
Admission Price: Call for info
Hours: Call for info

Storrowton Village Museum is an authentic, recreated village of nine 18th and 19th century buildings from Massachusetts and New Hampshire, assembled around a traditional town green.

Woburn

Need an Image for ID# 437

Count Rumford Birthplace

90 Elm Street
Woburn, MA  01801
Phone: (781) 467-9237
Year Built: 1714
Admission Price: Free -donation excepted
Hours: 1:00--4:00 Sat & Sun May-Oct

"Birth Place of Count Rumford" (Benjamin Thompson born here in 1753 who was to become "General Sir Benjamin Thompson the Count of Rumford" World renowned soldier, Statesman, Inventor & Scientist

Worcester

Need an Image for ID# 755

Salisbury Mansion

40 Highland Street
Worcester, MA  01609
Phone: (508) 753-8278
Year Built: 1772
Admission Price: Adults $5, Seniors/Students $4
Hours: 1-4pm Thu-Sat

Salisbury Mansion was once home to one of Worcester County's wealthiest families. It was built in 1772 as a combination store and dwelling for a bachelor merchant from Boston, Stephen Salisbury (1746-1829). He brought his bride, Elizabeth Tuckerman (1768-1851) of Boston, to live there in 1798.

Yarmouth Port

Need an Image for ID# 756

Winslow Crocker House

250 Main Street
Yarmouth Port, MA  02675
Phone: (617) 994-6661
Year Built: 1780
Admission Price: Adults $4, Seniors $3, Students $2
Hours: 11am-5pm 2nd & 4th Sat, Jun 1 to Oct 15

In 1936, Mary Thacher had Winslow Crocker House moved six miles down the Old King's Highway to its present location. Over a ten-month period, the house was taken apart, beam by beam, and reassembled next door to her ancestral home in Yarmouth Port. Miss Thacher remodeled the interior of the house to provide an attractive backdrop the significant collection of antique furniture she collected over her lifetime.