We try to keep this list of historic house museums for South Dakota current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in South Dakota that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
The Adams Museum in Deadwood is the oldest history museum in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Pioneer businessman W.E. Adams built the museum in 1930 as a memorial to his family and to honor the early pioneers that settled the Black Hills. The Adams House, built in 1892, is an elegant Victorian mansion which became the Adams House Museum on July 1, 2000.
See their web site for hours • 22 Van Buren St. • (605) 578-3724
Laura Ingalls Wilder ‘s Little House on the Prairie books imortalized this town. Her family lived in the Surveyor’s House and her father built the Ingalls Home.
See their web site for hours • Just follow the signs • (605) 854-3383 or (800) 880-3383
John and Alice Pickler Home
Constructed over a 12 year period, this prairie Victorian was built by Major Pickler, and includes a secret room under the kitchen used to hide the family in case of Indian attacks and severe storms. Part of the house was a motel that was moved to the site and attached to the house.
Open daily 1-4 Memorial Day to Labor Day • 8 blocks south on Main Street, off SR 212 • (605) 598-4285
The Pyle House Museum
John Levis Pyle built this house in 1893-94 for his family. Members of his family have occupied the house continuously to the present day. The home is filled with beautiful oak woodwork and many art glass windows. Upstairs you’ll find the room where Bradbury & Bradbury’s seashell pattern was reproduced from.
Open daily 1-3:30 • 376 Idaho Avenue, S. E. • (605)352-2528
The museum complex has several restored buildings, including the 1886 Beckwith House. The museum has a good collection of Victorian artifacts, including fine examples of vintage clothing.
See their web site for hours • 1300 McGovern Ave • (605) 996-2122
Pettigrew Home and Museum
A restored 1880s Queen Anne houses exhibits illustrating the natural history of the Sioux land.
Open Mon-Sat 8-5, Thu till 9pm, Sun 12-5; during winter, daily 12-5 • 131 N. Duluth Ave. • (605) 367-7097
Cramer – Kenyon Heritage Home
Built in 1886, this home is the tallest Queen Anne in the state. Unique features include heavy double doors in the front entry, high coved ceilings, elaborate carved screens, and the original imported wallpaper in the parlors. The woodwork still has its original finish.
Open Wed-Sun 1-5 • 509 Pine Street • (605) 665-7470
Home of the first governor of South Dakota, the 1883 house has been restored and furnished with articles belonging to the Mellette family.
Open Tue-Sun 1-5 May-Sep • 421 Fifth Ave. N. W. • (605) 886-4730