We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Wisconsin current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Wisconsin that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
This house was probably the first in the world to be lit by a central hydro-electic station. The restored 1882 house is furnished in period and features Minton tiles around each of its 9 fireplaces, intricate woodwork, and original light switches designed by Thomas Edison.
Open daily 1-4, May 27-Sep 2; Sun-Fri 1-4 rest of the year • 625 W. Prospect Ave • (920) 730-8204
The House of Seven Gables, dating from 1860, has been recognized as an outstanding example of Gothic Revival or Carpenter Gothic architecture. It was likely inspired by the pattern books authored by Victorian architectural tastemaker, Andrew Jackson Downing. It is a true “Gingerbread House” with board and batten siding, steeply pitched gables with ornamental bargeboards and drop pendants as well as elaborate peaked finials.
Open by appointment • 215 6th St. • (608) 356-8387
The museum is housed in a 1906 mansion. Displays include American Indian and pioneer relics, Civil War equipment, household furnishings, toys, textiles, and memorabilia.
Open Tue-Sun, 2-5, May 20-Sep 15 • 531 4th Ave • (608) 356-1001
The museum depicts a pioneer street setting with 24 historic buildings including a farmstead and 19th century home.
Open Thu, Sat & Sun 1-5, Jun 1-Sep 2 • 1.5 miles west on County W. • (715) 458-2841
A collection of buildings from the 1800s is preserved, including a residence furnished in period.
Open Wed, Sat & Sun, 12-5, May 27-Sep2 • 10 miles north on County I • (262) 377-4510
The stone lodge served as Al Capone’s North Woods hideout in the 1920s.
Open daily 12-10, May 18-Sep 15 • 6 miles north on County CC • (715) 945-2746
This 576 acre museum has over 50 preserved and furnished buildings from the 1800s.
Open daily 10-5 Jul-Aug; Mon-Fri 10-4, Sat, Sun 10-5, May-Jun & Sep-Oct • 1 mile south on SR67 • (262) 594-6300
Built in 1836 and moved to its present site in 1840, the house was home to composer Joseph Webster. It now contains some of his memorabilia as well as Indian, Civil War and Victorian items.
Open Wed-Sun 1-5, May 1-Oct15 • 9 E. Rockwell St. • (262) 723-4248
Fond Du Lac
Gardens with a gazebo, a carriagehouse and a log cabin surround the restored 30-room Victorian Mansion. The village contains a school, a church, and many shops.
Open daily 1-4, Memorial Day-Labor Day; Sat-Sun 1-4 Labor Day-Sep 30 • 336 Old Pioneer Rd. • (920) 922-0991
Unique among historic sites, Ten Chimneys offers guests a virtually barrier-free tour of an estate replete with original furnishings and overflowing with the romance of the Golden Age of Theatre. Tour guests are placed in small groups and are led through the estate by highly-trained docents who share stories that interpret not only the objects and decor of the estate, but also the lives and values of its remarkable creators, Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne.
Open Tue-Sat 10-2:45, May to mid-Nov • Depot Road • (262) 968-4161
A complex of furnished historical buildings is grouped in four theme areas. Historic homes included are the 1762 fur trader’s cabin, 1776 Tank Cottage, 1842 Beupre Place, and a Belgian farmhouse.
See their web site for hours • 2640 S. Webster Avenue • (920) 448-5150
This museum includes a stagecoach inn, a residence and a collection of over 100 carriages.
Open daily 9-5 May-Oct • Off SR23, junction of Kettle Moraine Scenic Dr and Hwy T • (920) 526-3271
Built in the 1850s when this style of architecture was the rage, the museum houses a collection of dolls and period furnishings.
Open Tue-Sat 10-12, 2-4:30, Sun 2-4:30, May-Oct, Dec • 1004 Third St. • (715) 386-2654
The 26 room Italianate Tallman house was built in 1855 and had such conveniences as running water, a communication system, central heating, plumbing and gas lighting. The Stone House, built in 1842, is a more modest house. Both are furnished in period.
Open Tue-Sun 11-4, Jun-Aug; Sat-Sun 11-4, May & Sep-Mid-Oct • 440 N. Jackson St • (608) 752-4519
Built in 1837, the mansion has been restored and still contains its original furnishings.
Open Tue-Sun 1-4:30, Memorial Day-Labor Day; by appt only Tue-Fri, 9-4:30 rest of the year • 1 mile NE on Augustine St. • (920) 735-9370
This mid 19th century home reflects an affluent lifestyle and still has some of its original furnishings such as oriental rugs, ceramics from Europe and the Orient and furniture from the Empire and Victorian periods.
Currently closed for restoration • 429 N. 7th St. • (608) 782-1980
Built by beer baron Conrad Seipp in 1888, the mansion is the only surviving summer home of its type open to the public on beautiful Lake Geneva.
See web site for tour details • PO Box 538 • (262) 248-1888
Among the exhibits are a sailor’s home.
Open daily 10-5 Memorial Day-Labor Day • At the ferry landing in La Pointe • (715) 747-2415
Housed in a Victorian mansion, the museum contains period furnishings, and displays of Indian artifacts, Chinese ivory, dolls and porcelain objects.
Open Mon-Fri 9-4:30, Sat-Sun 1-4 • 610 N. 8th St. • (920) 683-4501
Built in 1859 by Captain William Wilson, it was a originally a large colonial-style house with a pillared porch. Captain Wilson, was a principal in the Knapp, Stout & Co., Company, founder and first mayor of the city of Menomonie, and the area’s first state senator. In 1875, he enclosed the 22-acre estate with a sandstone wall, part of which fronts the museum today.
See their web site for hours • 101 Wilson Circle • (715) 235-2283
The museum occupies the 1909 Tudor mansion of Charles Allis. The art collection spans 2000 years and includes fine French, English and American furniture, as well as paintings, bronzes and other art objects.
Open Wed-Sun 1-5 & Wed 7-9pm • 1801 N. Prospect Ave. • (414) 278-8295
Built in the 16th century Italian Renaissance style, the villa was designed by David Adler. Terraced gardens make their way down from the house to a formal garden at beach level.
Open Wed-Sun 1-5 • 2220 N. Terrace Ave • (414) 271-3656
This 37 room Flemish Renaissance mansion was built in 1893 for beer baron Capt. Frederick Pabst. Carved wood, stained glass, and ornamental ironwork highlight the building.
Open Mon-Sat 10-3:30, Sun 12-3:30, Apr-Sep, Nove-Dec; Sat 10-3:30, Sun 12-3:30, Jan-Mar • 2000 W. Wisconsin Ave. • (414) 931-0808
Built of sandstone in 1868, the house contains displays of Victorian furnishings and artifacts of Mineral Point, as well as a collection of local minerals.
Open Fri-Sun 11-4 Memorial Day-Labor Day • 234 Madison St. • (608) 987-2884
Six carefully restored stone and log houses built by Cornish lead miners are open.
Open 9-5 May-Oct • 114 Shake Rag St. • (608) 987-2122
Reconstructed homes and businesses of Cornish artisans who settled the area in the mid 1830s are open.
Open daily 9-5 May-Oct • 18 Shake Rag St. • (608) 987-2808
Chalet of the Golden Fleece
Modeled after a Swiss mountain chalet, it was once the home to Edwin Barlow.
Open daily 9-4:30 May-Oct • 618 2nd St. • (608) 527-2614
The Victorian home was built in 1868 and is furnished in period. Also on the grounds are a museum and a barn that contains two early electric cars.
Open Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 12-5, Jun-Sep 10 • 917 Park Ave • (920) 834-6206
ueen Anne style home was built in 1884 for John Rodgers Morgan, a founder of Oshkosh lumber company Morgan Brothers.
Open Sun, Jun-Sep, 2 -4 • 234 Church Ave • (920) 232-0260
Several galleries of the Oshkosh Public Museum are located in an English Tudor Revival residence built in 1908 for Edgar P. Sawyer, a lumber baron, banker, and businessman. William Waters, a prominent local architect, designed the home. With its gabled roof, fluted chimneys, Bedford stone carriage port, and elevator, the home was considered to be the finest in Oshkosh.
See web site for hours • 1331 Algoma Blvd. • (920) 236-5762
The magnificent manor house was beautifully constructed in 1927 for lumber baron Nathan Paine and his wife, Jessie Kimberly Paine. Now listed on the National Register of Historical Places, this gorgeous home with abundant architectural embellishments is laden with must-see collections of American and European paintings, plush tapestries and oriental rugs, gleaming works of silver and outstanding decorative arts.
Open Tue-Sun 11-4 • 1410 Algoma Blvd • (920) 235-6903
Old Indian Agency House
Built in 1832 by the U.S. government for John Kinzie, agent to the Winnebago Indians. It has been restored and is furnished in period.
Open daily 10-4, May 15-Oct 15; by appt rest of the year • .25 miles east on SR33, then .5 miles north along the canal • (608) 742-6362
Built between 1819 and 1828 as the home of Francois LeRoi. The restored home contains period furnishings.
Open daily 10-4, May 15-Oct 15 • 2 miles east on SR33 • (608) 742-2949
Prairie Du Chien
This Victorian mansion built in 1870 replaced an earlier house on the site that was built in 1843. The house contains one of the finest collections of Victorian decorative arts in the country. Almost all the furnishings, artworks, china, glass, silver and books belonged to the Dousman family.
Open daily 9-5 May-Oct • 521 Villa Louis Rd. • (608) 326-2721
The museum is housed in the 1853 Taylor Homestead.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5, Apr-Oct • 3110 Erie Ave. • (920) 458-1103
Once FLW’s Wisconsin home and studio.
Open daily 9-4 May-Oct • 3 miles south on SR33 • (608) 588-7900 or (877) 588-7900
Step back in time at this award-winning Victorian house museum. One of America’s Castles, the 42 room mansion was built in 1889 by Mayor Martin Pattison. Fairlawn recalls the elegance and prosperity of Superior’s early boomtown days, as well as the mansion’s unique 42 years as a children’s home.
Open year-round for guided tours, events and private rentals. Tues.-Sat. 9am-5pm; Sun. 12-5pm; Closed Mon.until May • 906 East 2nd St. • (715) 394-5712
Built in 1854, this unique dwelling features five floors furnished with antiques and contains a central 40 foot circular stairway.
Open daily 10-5, May-Oct • 919 Charles St. • (920) 261-2796
The first floor of the early 20th century neoclassical home is furnished in period. The second floor has changing exhibits, and the basement has a model train layout.
Open Tue-Thu 9-4:30, Sat-Sun 1-4:30 • 403 McIndoe St. • (715) 848-6143
Home of the winner of the 1921 Pulizter Prize.
Open daily 1-4:30, Memorial Day-Labor Day • 357 W. Garland St. • (608) 786-1399