Historic House Museums in New York
We try to keep this list of historic house museums for New York current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in New York that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
Your tour of Cherry Hill will tell the poignant story of Catherine Bogart Putman Rankin (1857-1948), the great-granddaughter of Philip and Maria Van Rensselaer, and fourth-generation owner of Cherry Hill. It was she who was most responsible for the preservation of this Albany landmark and its contents through her deep and abiding love for her ancestral home, an affection that she passed on to her children.
See their web site for hours • 523 1/2 South Pearl Street • (518) 434-4791
Schuyler Mansion was home to Philip J. Schuyler, the renowned Revolutionary War general, US Senator, and business entrepreneur. He and his wife, Catharine Van Rensselaer, descended from affluent and powerful Dutch families. Together they raised eight children in this home. The Georgian structure, reflecting Schuyler's English tastes - was built on a bluff overlooking the Hudson River.
See their web site for hours • 32 Catherine Street • (518) 434-0834
Ten Broeck Mansion
House constructed 1797-98 for Abraham Ten Broeck and his family; remodelled c.1836 and operated as a house museum since 1948 by the Albany County Historical Association.
Call for hours • 9 Ten Broeck Place • (518) 436-9826
Experience 19th-century life on the Niagara Frontier and tour historic homes, churches and one-room schoolhouses on our beautiful 35-acre grounds with exhibits on local history, textiles, art and the Erie Canal.
See their web site for hours • 3755 Tonawanda Creek Road • (716) 689-1440
Montgomery Place, a serene reflection of nearly 200 years of continuous family stewardship, is best known as an architectural landmark designed by Alexander Jackson Davis and a landscape influenced by the great Andrew Jackson Downing. But the totality of the estate - house furnishings, gardens, woodlands, orchards, and hamlet - makes it a unique American treasure.
The mansion interior is currently undergoing restoration and is temporarily closed. • (914) 631-8200
The Harriet Tubman Home preserves the legacy of "The Moses of Her People" in the place where she lived and died in freedom.
Open Tue-Fri 11-4, Sat by appt. • 180 South Street • (315) 252-2081
Nestled deep in the woods of Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx, and only a mile from a network of bustling highways, the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum is a rare example of country elegance in New York City.
Hours • 895 Shore Road • (718) 885-1461
The tiny Poe Cottage in the Bronx was the last home of Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849), the great American poet and author of early mystery stories. Set in a small park on the Grand Concourse, it is the only house left from the old village of Fordham. In 1812, John Wheeler built the one-and-a-half-story cottage, typical of the workmen's houses that once dotted the Bronx.
Open Sat 10-4, Sun 1-5 • 2640 Grand Concourse & East Kingsbridge Road • (718) 881-8900
The Valentine-Varian House was built in 1758, when carriages traveled the nearby Boston Post Road through a Bronx that was still mostly farmland. The second oldest house in the borough stands today inside a wrought-iron fence in a small park in the Norwood neighborhood of north-central Bronx.
Open Sat 10-4, Sun 1-5 • 3266 Bainbridge Ave. • (718) 881-8900
Van Cortlandt House in the Bronx is a fine example of an 18th-century vernacular Georgian home, set in a wide valley in the third largest park in New York City.
Open Tue-Fri, 10-3, Sat-Sun 11-4 • Van Cortlandt Park, Broadway & 246th Street • (718) 543-3344
Lefferts Homestead in Prospect Park is one of the few surviving Dutch Colonial farmhouses in Brooklyn. Built for a prominent 18th-century Flatbush landowner, it was home to at least four generations of the Lefferts family.
Call for hours • Flatbush Ave. at Empire Blvd. • (718) 789-2822
Currently closed for restoration. For inquiries please email email@example.com
A modern reconstruction of the Vechte-Cortelyou House, the 1699 Dutch stone farmhouse has important ties to American history.
Open Thu-Sun 12-5 • 5th Avenue • (718) 768-3195
Once a stone's throw from salt marshes and clam beds, the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House Museum is probably the oldest home in New York City. The house, built around 1652, became the City's first landmark in 1965.
Open Tue-Sun 10-4 • 5816 Clarendon Rd • (718) 629-5400
Experience the wonder of early 19th century American architecture and craftsmanship as you tour the Granger Homestead, erected in 1816. Constructed by local builders and craftsmen over a two-year period at a total cost of $13,000, this Federal-style house features beautifully detailed carved moldings and mantelpieces in its restored period rooms. The furnishings on display include many original pieces owned by four generations of the Granger family.Nearly fifty horse drawn vehicles are on exhibit at the Granger Homestead's Carriage Museum, showing the history of 19th century transportation in western New York.
See their web site for hours and special events • 295 North Main Street • (585) 394-1472
A beautiful Victorian mansion and gardens, located at the north end of Canandaigua Lake was ormerly the summer home of Canandaigua benefactors Frederick Ferris and Mary Clark Thompson.
See their web site for hours • 151 Charlotte Street • (585) 394-4922
Hyde Hall was built for George Clarke, whose great-grandfather and namesake was a prominent figure in the government of New York for 42 years prior to the American Revolution, and was the home of Clarke and his descendants for 144 years from 1819 until 1963.
See their web site for hours • Address • (607) 547-5098 or (888) 472-9002
Van Cortlandt Manor, situated on the banks of the Croton River is a working estate and elegant country house that brings the new nation period vividly to life. The history of the estate is richly documented and the manor house contains primarily original furnishings, which provides an element of authenticity rarely seen in house museums.
See their web site for hours • South Riverside Avenue • (914) 271-8981
At the Queens County Farm Museum people may visit a working farm surrounding the restored Jacob Adriance Farmhouse. The rich glacial soil of Flushing first attracted European settlers in the 17th century, and family farms characterized the area from then until the 1920s. The earliest records of farm ownership by the Adriance family on this site date from 1697.
Open Sat-Sun 10-5 • 73-50 Little Neck Parkway • (718) 347-3276
Kingsland Homestead, a late 18th-century house in Flushing, stands in the shade of the Weeping Beech tree, a designated City landmark planted in 1847. Located steps away from the 17th-century Bowne House, where Quakers were first permitted to meet in New Amsterdam, Kingsland is the headquarters of the Queens Historical Society.
Open Tue, Sat-Sun 2:30-4:30 • 143-35 37th Avenue • (718) 939-0647
The mansion dates from the early nineteenth century and contains one of the nation's leading collections of furniture and decorative arts from the Federal period, much of it made by premier New York cabinetmakers such as Duncan Phyfe and Michael Allison.
See their web site for hours • 1601 Route 9D • (845) 265-3638
Gothic Revival cottage, built in 1831 by Robert Balmanno.
Open Sun 1:30-4:30 Jul-Aug and by appt. • Call for directions • (315) 789-5151
Charles Butler, a Geneva attorney, built the Prouty-Chew House as a Federal style home in 1829. Phineas Prouty, a local merchant, purchased the home in 1842. The property remained in the Prouty family for 60 years. Between 1858 and 1883, extensive alterations were made to the house, giving it the eclectic look seen today.
See their web site for hours • 543 South Main St. • (315) 789-5151
The Rose Hill Mansion is a National Historic Landmark and is considered one of the finest examples of Greek Revival Architecture in the United States. Built in 1839, the mansion has 26 rooms, of which 21 are furnished in the then-popular Empire style, and are open to the public.
Open Mon-Sat 10-4 May-Oct; Sun 1-5 year round • Route 96A • (315) 789-3848
Clermont was the Hudson River seat of the politically and socially prominent Livingston family of New York for more than 230 years. Seven successive generations of the family left their imprint on the architecture, room interiors, and landscape at Clermont. Today the 500 acre historic site appears much as it did in the early twentieth century, when the estate was the home of the last two generations to occupy the property: Mr. and Mrs. John Henry Livingston and their daughters, Honoria and Janet.
See their web site for hours • One Clermont Avenue • (518) 537-4240
The Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site contains "Springwood", the lifelong home of America's only 4-term President. Also on the site is the Presidential Library and Museum, operated by the National Archives. Visitors may enjoy a guided tour of FDR's home, take a self-guided tour of the Museum, or stroll the grounds, gardens, and trails of this 300-acre site.
Open Daily 9-5 • approximately 12 miles from Rhinebeck on Route 9 • (845) 229-9115
The Vanderbilt Estate in Hyde Park, New York is perhaps the best, most intact example of the types of estates constructed by wealthy industrialists in the 19th century. The fully-furnished, 54-room mansion is placed in a wondrous landscape with breathtaking views of the Hudson River and distant Catskill Mountains. It offers a glimpse into a past world known by only an elite few.
Open Daily 9-5 • on Route 9 • (845) 229-9115
King Manor, the oldest house in Jamaica, Queens, is the focal point of the historic 11-acre King Park. The house takes its name from the 18th and 19th century statesman Rufus King, who signed the constitution, spoke out against the spread of slavery, and served as a senator from New York for 19 years.
Guided tours are offered Feb - Dec on Thu & Fridays, 12-2, and Sat & Sun 1-5 • 150th Street & Jamaica Avenue • (718) 206-0545
Martin Van Buren purchased this house and farm while he was president and grew the estate to eventually include 226 acres.
Call or check their web site for hours • 1013 Old Post Road • (518) 758-9689
Boyhood home of Almanzo Wilder, husband of author Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Open Mon-Sat 11-4, Sun 1-4 Memorial Day Weekend to Sep 30 • Stacy Road • (518) 483-1207
Gomez Mill House is the oldest standing Jewish dwelling in North America and the oldest house on the National Historic Register in Orange County, New York.
Hours • 11 Mill House Road • (845) 236-3126
The Dyckman family sold the prosperous farm in 1868 and moved to a more fashionable mansion on Broadway. In 1915, two sisters, Mary Alice D. Dean and Fannie Fredericka D. Welsh, descendants of William Dyckman, bought back the family house and began extensive reconstruction--one of the earliest historic restorations undertaken in New York. They presented it to the City in 1916 with 18th- and 19th-century furniture and objects that were representative of their family's belongings.
See their web site for hours • 881 Broadway • (212) 304-9422
Built in 1719 as an elegant residence for the merchant Stephan Delancey and his family, in 1762 the home was purchased by tavern-keeper Samuel Fraunces, who turned it into one of the most popular taverns of the day. Though it is best known as the site where Washington gave his farewell address to the officers of the Continental Army, in 1783, the tavern also played a significant role in pre-Revolutionary activities.
Open Tue-Fri 12-5, Sat 10-5 • 54 Pearl Street • (212) 425-1778
Gracie Mansion stands in Carl Schurz Park above Hell Gate, a roaring stretch of water where the Harlem and East Rivers meet. The 18th-century house, built by a man who made and lost his fortune at sea, is now the official residence of the Mayor of the City of New York.
Call for hours and reservations • 88th Street & East End Avenue • (212) 570-475
The Merchant's House Museum is New York City's only family home preserved intact -- inside and out -- from the 19th century. Built in 1832 just steps from Washington Square, this elegant red-brick and white-marble row house on East Fourth Street was home to prosperous merchant Seabury Tredwell and his family for 100 years.
Open Thu-Mon 12-5 • 29 East Fourth Street • (212) 777-1089
Manhattan's oldest surviving house, the Morris-Jumel Mansion atop Harlem Heights, is a monument to colonial grandeur. Built about 1765 as a summer retreat for British colonel Roger Morris and his wife, Mary Philipse, its distinctive style was very advanced for its time. Morris, the son of a successful English architect, may have influenced the Palladian design, which includes a two-story portico and triangular pediment, classical columns, and a large octagonal room at the rear--the first of its kind in the country.
Open Wed-Sun 10-4, Mon-Tue by appt. • 65 Jumel Terrace at 160th St. • (212) 923-8008
Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States, lived at this site from his birth on October 27, 1858 until he was 14 years old. The reconstructed house contains five period rooms, two museum galleries and a bookstore.
Open Tue-Sat 9-5 • 28 East 20th Street • (212) 260-1616
The Captain David Crawford House is the headquarters of the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands. Built in 1834, this neoclassical mansion was once the home of shipbuilder, David Crawford. David was the owner of the sloops and early steamboats that plyed the Hudson from his dock at the foot of Third Street in Newburgh.
Open Sun 1-4 • 189 Montgomery Street • (845) 561-2585
Raynham Hall Museum, which served as a British headquarters during the Revolutionary War, can lay claim to a truly historic "first" - it is the home of America's first documented Valentine. On February 14 over two hundred years ago, Lt. Col. John Graves Simcoe of the Queens Rangers asked Sarah "Sally" Townsend to "choose me for your Valentine!".
Open Tue-Sun 1-5 Memorial Day-Labor Day • 20 West Main Street • Phone
Sagamore Hill was the home of Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States, from 1885 until his death in 1919. From 1902 to 1908 his "Summer White House" was the focus of international attention. Otherwise, it was the home of a most remarkable fellow.
Open Wed-Sun 10-4 • 20 Sagamore Hill Road • (516) 922-4788
The Oliver House, built in 1852, was once the residence of the well known Oliver family of physicians in Penn Yan. Three generations of doctors, whose medical practice spanned the years from 1819 to 1915, are associated with this substantial brick dwelling which was given to the Village of Penn Yan by Miss Carrie Oliver in 1942.
Open Mon-Fri 9:30-4:30 • 200 Main Street • (315) 536-7318
Overlooking the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie, NY, the 150 acre estate of Samuel F.B. Morse includes an Italianate villa designed by Alexander Jackson Davis containing extensive collections of American and European decorative and fine arts. Three miles of carriage roads wind through landscaped grounds, romantic gardens and shady groves.
Open Daily 10-3, May-Nov • 2683 South Road • (845) 454-4500
The original Italianate villa designed by John Warren Ritch was remodeled and enlarged in 1888 by Thomas's son Robert Bowne Suckley and his wife, Elizabeth Philips Montgomery. Poughkeepsie architect Arnout Cannon was hired to transform the two story villa into an elaborate Queen Anne style country house. The structure now soared upward with the addition of a third floor, multi-gabled attic and a dramatic five story circular tower with a commanding view of the surrounding landscape. The fanciful, asymmetrical skyline of the house was enhanced by the addition of an imposing porte-cochere and an expansive verandah.
Open Thu-Sun 12-4:30 May-Oct • 330 Morton Road • (845) 876-4818
Located next to the Hoyt-Potter House, the Campbell-Whittlesey House Museum is one of the finest examples of restored Greek Revival architecture in America. It represents the effects of the Erie Canal during Rochester's boomtown years between 1835 and 1845.
Open Thu-Fri 12-3 • 123 South Fitzhugh Street • (585) 546-7029
George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film combines the world's leading collections of photography and film with the stately pleasures of the landmark Colonial Revival mansion and gardens that George Eastman called home from 1905 to 1932.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Thu 10-8, Sun 1-5 • 900 East Ave • (585) 271-3361
This magnificent c. 1840 Greek Revival mansion in Rochester's historic Corn Hill neighborhood, saved from almost certain demolition, has been rehabilitated as Landmark Society headquarters.
Call for hours • 133 South Fitzhugh Street • (585) 546-7029
Based on the family life of pioneers Orringh and Elizabeth Stone, the Stone-Tolan House Museum represents the private and the public activities of a household and rural tavern on the frontier in Brighton, NY between 1790 and 1820.
Open Fri-Sat 12-3 • 2370 East Avenue • (585) 546-7029
Home of the legendary American civil rights leader during the most politically active period of her life, and the site of her famous arrest for voting in 1872.
See their web site for hours • 17 Madison Street • (585) 235-6124
In a storybook setting of productive fields and a matchless Mohawk River landscape sits the Jan Mabee Farm - the oldest in the Mohawk Valley. The stone house was owned by the same family for nearly 300 years. Coupled with the Inn and Slave Quarters buildings as well as a New World Dutch Barn and other outbuildings, the site provides a memorable visual encounter with a former frontier outpost.
Call for hours • 1080 Main Street • (518) 887-5073
This Georgian style building is in the Stockade, Schenectady's Historic District adjacent to the waters of the Binnekill and the Mohawk River. It wa built in 1895 for Dora Jackson, the wife of Alonzo Clinton Jackson, and she had been a widow for many years before her son Jones Mumford Jackson bought the land on which the house is now situated. Aspects of Federal and Greek Revival can be seen throughout the house.The museum maintains wonderful collections documenting domestic and industrial life from 1690 to today including one of two pre-Revolutionary war Liberty flags known to exist.
Open Tue-Fri 1-5, Sat 10-4 (call for tour reservation) • Address • (518) 374-0263
Philipsburg Manor is a historic site of great historical importance. Once the headquarters of an enormous Hudson Valley manor, the site vividly interprets aspects of the history of colonial New York and the system of racially-based slavery which helped keep the estate running in the 18th century. The visitor center at Philipsburg, located on Rt. 9 in the village of Sleepy Hollow, offers a wide range of services and changing exhibitions, and also serves as the visitor center for Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate.
See their web site for hours and directions • (914) 631-9491
A 25-room Greek Revival structure was built on the site in 1832 by Morgan Lewis and his wife, Gertrude Livingston, replacing an earlier house that had burned down. This second house was inherited by Ruth Livingston Mills, wife of noted financier and philanthropist Ogden Mills. In 1895, Mr. and Mrs. Mills commissioned the prestigious New York City architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White to remodel and enlarge their Staatsburg home. After completion in 1896, the house was transformed into a Beaux-Arts mansion of 65 rooms and 14 bathrooms. Its exterior was embellished with balustrades, pilasters, floral swags, and a massive portico. The rooms were furnished with elaborately carved and gilded furniture, fine oriental rugs, silk fabrics, and a collection of art objects from Europe, ancient Greece, and the Far East.
Call for hours • Old Post Road • (845) 889-8851
The Alice Austen House Museum on Staten Island recalls the world of an exceptional woman, photographer Alice Austen. Austen's quaint, Victorian cottage-style home, with a magnificent view of New York Harbor, displays prints from the large glass negative collection of her work that depict turn-of-the-century American life.
Open Thu-Sun 12-6, Mar-Dec • 2 Hylan Boulevard • (212) 360-8282
At the southernmost tip of Staten Island--and New York State—stands the Conference House, a 17th-century stone manor. Located in the 226-acre Conference House Park across Raritan Bay from Perth Amboy, New Jersey, the manor was named after a dramatic meeting that shaped our nation's history.
Open Fri-Sun 1-4 Apr 1 to Dec 15 • 7455 Hylan Boulevard • (718) 984-0415
This historic house is preserved as a memorial to the lives of Antonio Meucci and Giuseppe Garibaldi. Antonio Meucci, a native of Florence, Italy, lived here until his death in 1889. In 1849, while experimenting with the new phenomenon of electricity, he discovered that sound could be transmitted by electric wires. Alexander Graham Bell was then two years old.
Open Tue-Sun 1-4:30 • 420 Tompkins Avenue • (718) 442-1608
The village area occupies 25 acres of a 100-acre site with about 15 restored buildings, including homes and commercial and civic buildings, as well as a museum.
See their web site for hours • 441 Clarke Avenue • (718) 351-1611
Along the southern shore of Staten Island, the Seguine Mansion, a stately Greek Revival structure, faces Prince's Bay. Built in 1838 by Joseph H. Seguine, the house is a physical reminder of the classical architecture and thriving commerce of Staten Island during the mid-19th century.
Periodic tours of the Mansion offered spring through fall by the Staten Island Urban Park Rangers • 440 Seguine Avenue • (718) 667-6042
Completed in 1913 for John D. Rockefeller by architects Delano and Aldrich, Kykuit has been home to four generations of Rockefeller family members. Visitors will see interiors designed by Ogden Codman, collections of Chinese and European ceramics, fine furnishings and galleries of 20th-century art. Landscape architect William Welles Bosworth designed terraces and gardens with fountains, pavilions and classical sculpture; more than 70 works of modern sculpture were added during the 1960s and '70s. In the coach barn are horsedrawn vehicles and classic automobiles.
May to November Tours depart from Philipsburg Manor, Sleepy Hollow • Pocantico Hills • (914) 631-9491
Overlooking the Hudson River in Tarrytown NY is Lyndhurst, one of America's finest Gothic Revival mansions. The architectural brilliance of the residence, designed in 1838 by Alexander Jackson Davis, is complemented by a park-like landscape and a comprehensive collection of original decorative arts.
See their web site for hours • 635 South Broadway • (914) 631-4481
Sunnyside, a National Historic Landmark, is the meticulously restored and charmingly picturesque home of renowned author Washington Irving. America's first successful, internationally known author, Washington Irving's writings include numerous works of fiction, history and biography. He is best remembered for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, stories that are enduring hallmarks in American literature, culture, and folklore. In 1835, Irving purchased a simple 18th-century cottage and enlarged and remodeled it to its present appearance. The wisteria-covered, stepped-gable entrance and the Spanish-style tower are instantly recognizable images of America's literary and architectural history.
See their web site for hours • West Sunnyside Lane • (914) 631-8200
Amid the 19th century rowhouses in the Second Street Historic District in downtown Troy sits a white marble house, completed in 1827, just as Troy was beginning its shift from a commercial to an industrial economy base. The Hart-Cluett House, as it is known today, was constructed for a businessman-banker's family, the Harts, and sold six decades later to the Cluett family, a family who helped give Troy the nickname, "The Collar City."
Open Tue-Sat, 12-5 • 57 Second Street • (518) 272-7232
Victorian Preservation Association - P.O. Box 586 - San Jose, CA 95106-0586 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org