Historic House Museums in Ohio
We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Ohio current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Ohio that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
The 28 room Second Empire Italianate mansion was built in 1871 by John Henry Hower, one of Akron's leading industrialists. The house contains octagonal rooms with oak parquet floors, black walnut woodwork and many Hower family furnishings and treasures.
Open Wed-Fri 12-3:30, Sun 1-4 • on Fir Hill at the edge of the University of Akron campus • (330) 972-6909
Col. Simon Perkins, son of Akron founder Gen. Simon Perkins, built this Greek Revival mansion in 1837. The mansion is furnished in period. Across the street is the house where abolitionist John Brown lived for two years and it is also open to the public.
Currently open by appointment only • Copley Rd and S. Portage Path • (330) 535-1120
Considered one of the finer examples of Tudor Revival architecture in the U.S., this 65 room manor house contains original furnishings and art treasures. The mansion was built in 1911-1915 by Frank A. Seiberling, founder of Goodyear and Seiberling Rubber companies. Features include hand carved oak, walnut and sandalwood paneling, molded plaster ceilings and intricately designed stained glass and leaded windows. Practical fixtures such as radiators, telephones, and closets are all concealed behind decorative grillwork and carved panels so as not to disturb the elegance of the decor.
See their web site for hours • 714 N. Portage Path • (330) 836-5533
Restored buildings house a potter, blacksmith, spinner, weaver, cooper, broommaker, glassblower, and tinsmith, all at work dressed in period costumes. An 1860 homestead with a furnished farmhouse, a barn full of animals and a summer kitchen are on the grounds.
Open Mon-Sat 9:30-5, sun 1:30-5 Apr 22-Nov 1 • 1.75 miles northeast on SR2 • (800) 590-9755
This working farm and restored village depicts daily life in a small town in Ohio between 1825 and 1850.
Open Wed-Sat 10-5, Sun 12-5 May 30-Oct 31 • 5 miles southeast of I-77 exit 143 • (330) 666-3711
The complex contains restored 19th century buildings including homes, barns, shops, a mansion, a schoolhouse, a general store, and several museums.
Open Tue-Sun 1-5, Jun-Aug; Sun 1-5 May & Sep; by appointment rest of the year • 2 miles east on SR113, west of SR4 • (419) 483-4949
Formerly the Union House or Old Hotel, the Kelso House Museum is a vision in nineteenth century small town living.
Open Thu-Sat, 12-4 • 4158 State Route 43 • (330) 673-1058
20 historic structures including the Hickox Brick House, the Hitchcock House, the Boughton House, the Cook House, and the William Law House.
Open Fri-Sun 1-3 Apr 15 to Nov 15 • 14653 East Park Street • (440) 834-1492
The restored 1804 Pennsylvania Dutch style home is furnished in period and contains a Civil War museum. The homestead served as an originating poin for Camp Dennison, the Union Army's largest training camp.
Open Sun 1-5, May - Oct • 7567 Glendale-Milford Rd. • (513) 83-0902
The Saxton-McKinley house is a two and three story brick building of irregular massing. It was constructed in two segments, in 1841, and ca. 1865. The earliest portion is at the rear of the structure and was a two-story gable roofed building. This is significant as the only residence with direct historical ties to President William McKinley remaining in his hometown of Canton. It was the family home of McKinley's wife, Ida, and he and his wife lived in the house between 1878-1891 during the period he served in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Open Tue-Sat 9-4 • 331 Market Ave South • (330) 452-0876
The restored home of the "Fighting McCooks", 16 family members who were Union soldiers.
Open Fri-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5, Jun 1 - mid Oct • on the square • (216) 627-3345
Adena was the 2000-acre estate of Thomas Worthington (1773-1827), sixth governor of Ohio and one of the state's first United States Senators. The mansion house, completed in 1806-1807, has been restored to look much as it did when the Worthington family lived there, including many original Worthington family furnishings.
See their web site for hours • Adena Road • (740) 772-1500 or (800) 319-7248
The 1909 house includes a large collection of clothing from the 1800s.
Open Tue-Sun 1-5 Apr-Nov; Sat-Sun 1-5 rest of the year • 80 S. Paint St. • (740) 772-1936
The Harriet Beecher Stowe House was built by Lane Seminary in 1833 to serve as the residence of that institution's president. Harriet Beecher moved to Cincinnati from Connecticut in 1832 with her father, Dr. Lyman Beecher, who had been appointed president of the seminary. It was in Cincinnati where Harriet learned about the evils of slavery which inspired her book, Uncle Tom's Cabin.
See their web site for hours • 2950 Gilbert Avenue (State Route 3 and U.S. Route 22) • (513) 632-5100
The ornate Italianate townhouse was the home of a prominent Cincinnati brewer. It has been restored and furnished in period.
Open Fri 12-3 and 4th Sun 12-3 • 812 Dayton St. • (513) 561-8842
A Federal style home built in 1820, it now contains 12 rooms of displays, including portraits and landscapes by Rembrandt, Turner, Gainsborough, Whistler and Corot.
Tues, Wed, Fri: 11-5, Thu: 11-8, Sat: 10-5, Sun: 12-5 • 316 Pike St. • (513) 241-0343
Birthplace and boyhood home of the 27th president. The Greek Revival brick home has four rooms furnished in period. Other rooms have exhibits depicting the Taft family.
Open daiy 10-4 • 2038 Auburn Ave • (513) 684-3262
The home of author, humorist, cartoonist and playwright James Thurber has been restored.
Open daily 12-4 • 77 Jefferson Ave. • (614) 464-1032
A restored 19th century Ohio-Erie Canal town with homes, businesses and a 51 room inn.
Open daily 10-5 • junction of SR 16 & US 36 • (740) 622-9310 or (800) 877-1830
This 1880s working farm includes a house, summer kitchen, blacksmith shop, barn, and other outbuildings.
Open Mon-Fri 10-5, Sat-Sun 1-5 • .5 mile east of SR201 on Shull Rd. • (973) 278-2609
This brick house was the final home of the poet Paul Laurence Dunbar. In it may be seen many of his personal items and the furnishings among which he lived. During his short lifetime he was known as the poet laureate of black Americans.
Open Wed-Sat 9:30-5, Sun 12-5 Memorial Day-Labor Day; Sat 9:30-5,Sun 12-5 Labor Day-Oct • 219 N. Dunbar Street, off 3rd St. • (513) 224-7061
Built in 1816 by Col. Robert Patterson, Revolutionary War hero and founder of Lexington, Ky. The home contains portraits, family memorabilia and 18th century furnishings.
See website for hours • 1815 Brown St. • (937) 222-9724
This re-created village has 17 restored and reconstructed buildings typical of the 1860-1920 period.
Open Sat-Sun 11-4, Jun-Aug • (419) 784-0107 •
The Victorian mansion has period furnishings and a carriage house that displays a 1922 electric car and a carriage.
Open Tud-Sun 10-4, May 15-Sep 13; Special Dec hours • 325 East Iron Ave. • (330) 343-7040 or (800) 815-2794
The Hayes Presidential Center contains the residence of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States, a library and museum, and the tomb of the president and his wife Lucy Webb Hayes.
See their web site for hours • Hayes Avenue and Buckland Avenue • (419) 332-2081 or (800) 998-7737
Our House--a three-story brick tavern in the Federal style--was built in Gallipolis by Henry Cushing in 1819. The tavern boasted (in addition to its taproom, dining room, and other usual facilities), a large ballroom for social functions.
See their web site for hours • First Avenue between Locust and State streets • (740) 446-0586 or (800) 752-2618
The historic Avery-Downer house was built in 1842 and is a classic example of the temple form of the Greek Revival style. Eleven rooms are furnished with 18th and 19th century American, European and Asian antiques including furniture, paintings, sculpture, Oriental carpets, musical instruments, clocks, silver, china and crystal chandeliers.
Open Tue-Sun 1-3:30 Apr-Sep; Fri-Sun 1-3:30 rest of the year • 22 E Broadway • (740) 587-0430
The Lowell Thomas House is on the grounds of the museum.
Open Tue-Sun 1-4:30 Feb-Dec • 205 N. Broadway St. • (937) 548-5250
Located in the Benninghofen House, the museum displays Victorian furnishings.
Open Tue-Sun 11-4 • 327 N. Second St. • (513) 896-9930
This restored octagonal 1863 Gothic Revival home features an unusual spiral staircase that winds to the third floor turret. The main floor boasts detailed butternut and ash woodwork and a stained glass entrance. The house is partially furnished in period.
Open Mon-Fri 9-12 & 1-4:30 • 319 N. Third St. • (513) 863-1389
The Sullivan-Johnson Museum of Hardin County
The Victorian mansion features decorative glass and rich carvings in cherry and oak.
Open Thu-Sun 1-4 Apr-Dec; Sat-Sun 1-4 rest of the year • 223 N. Main St. • (419) 673-7147
The 1832 Federal style home displays period furnishings and a doll and toy collection.
Open Tue-Sun 1-4, Apr-Dec • 105 E. Wheeling and Broad Sts. • (740) 654-9923
The birthplace and early home of brothers William T. Sherman, Civil War general, and Sen. John Sherman, author of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Period furnishings and war mementos are displayed.
Open Tue-Sun 1-4 Apr-Dec • 137 E. Main St. • (740) 654-9923
A 1834 Greek Revival Mansion built by Willam J. Reese.
Open Tue-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-4 • 145 East Main St. • (740) 681-1423
Glendower is a restored Greek Revival mansion, one of the five built during the 19th century, on a hill south of the center of Lebanon. John Milton Williams, a framer of the state's constitution, employed Amos Bennett to build the rectangular central unit in the 1840's. Flanking wings were added prior to the Civil War.
See their web site for hours • 105 Cincinnati Avenue • (513) 932-1817 or (800) 283-8927
A lavishly decorated Victorian home with period furnishings.
Open Tue-Sun 1-5; Closed Jan-Feb • 632 W. Market St. • (419) 222-9426
Built in 1805, the house is furnished with antiques.
Open Tue 10-3 • 100 E. Washington St. • (330) 424-1861
An 1880s working farm that includes restored buildings.
Open Tue-Thu 9-4, Fri-Sat 9-6, Sun 11-6, Jun-Aug; call for other hours • 1 mile south of SR 674 on March Rd. • (614) 883-1880
This a running farm. It has a main has that you can see that is preserved from the 1950\'s. The farm was built by pulitzer prize-winning writer Louis Bromfield.
See their web site for hours • 4050 Bromfield Road • (419) 892-2784
Kingwood Hall, a French Provincial style mansion is surrounded by 47 acres of landscaped gardens, and woodland settings.
See their web site for hours • 900 Park Ave. W. • (419) 522-0211
The Big House was Louis Bromfield's country manor. It contains a variety of antiques, art items and rare books.
Open daily 10-5 Apr-Oct; daily 11-5 rest of the year • Near SRs 95 & 603, 12 miles s.e. on Bromfield and Pleasant Valley Rds. • (419) 892-2784
Excellent example of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture. Built in 1847.
Open Apr-Dec, Sun 2-5 • 310 Springmill St. • (419) 571-0956
With its octagonal tower, trefoil attic window, and stone capped spires, The Castle is one of the best executed examples of Gothic Revival style architecture in Ohio. The house, once the home of Ohio Senator Theodore Davis, is furnished with items of historical significance to the area, as well as those typical of the Victorian Era.
See their web site for hours • 417 Fourth Street • (740) 373-4180
It was from this home that Warren Harding conducted his "Front Porch Campaign" in the 1920 presidential election. From wallpaper to gaslight fixtures and original furnishings, the home is authentically restored.
Open Wed-Sat 9:30-5, Sun 12-5, Memorial Day - Labor Day; Sat 9:30-5, Sun 12-5, Sep-Oct; by appt. Apr-May • 380 Mount Vernon Ave. • (614) 387-9630
This home was built about 1821 and was a stop on the underground railroad. The grounds include herb and flower gardens, a smokehouse, springhouse, and other outbuildings.
Open Wed, Thu & Sun 1-4, Jun-Aug • 1244 Wales Rd. N.E. • (330) 833-6749
The museum is located in the 1835 home of city founder James Duncan and contains historical and art exhibits.
Open Tue-Sat 9:30-5, Sun 2-5 • 212 Lincoln Way E. • (330) 833-4061
The grounds include the 1836 Federal style home of James and Mary Wolcott, along with a log cabin, and 1840s saltbox farmhouse, a 19th century church and the Toledo and Grand Rapids Railroad depot. The Wolcott house displays antique furnishings.
Open Thu-Sun, tours at 12:30 & 2:30 • 1031 River Rd. • (419) 893-9602
The restored home of James Garfield, 20th president of the United States. The 30 room house contains original furnishings and many of Garfield's belongings. A small building at the corner of the house was used as his campaign headquarters. A carriage house contains five period carriages.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 12-5 • 8095 Mentor Ave. • (440) 255-8722
Thomas Edison spent his first seven years in this house. The house has been well preserved.
Open Mon-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5, Memorial Day - Labor Day; Tue-Sun 1-5, Feb-Memorial Day and Labor Day-Nov 30 • 9 Edison Dr. • (419) 499-2135
Located in an 1846 house, the museum displays collections of dolls, art, pressed glass, china, and other historical artifacts. A complex of other buildings includes a general store, a blacksmith shop, and the 1843 Robert Sayles House.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5 Jun-Aug; Tue-Sun 1-5 Apr-May and Sep-Oct • 10 Edison Dr. • (419) 499-2968
Italianate mansion built in 1865 by William McGrew. Former home of John Pattison, 43rd Governor of Ohio. Beautifully restored to the late Victorian era. Exhibits change througout the year. On-site research and reference library.
Open Fri, Sat, Sun 1:30-4:30 • 906 Main Street • (513) 248-0324
A 28 room Queen Anne built in 1902 is furnished in period. Highlights include parquet floors, elegant window treatments, hand-painted ceilings, a third floor ballroom, 1920s steambath and summer kitchen.
Open Tue-Sun 1:30-4, May-Oct • 484 Wooster Rd. • (330) 674-0022
On the grounds of the Dawes Arboretum, the house was the home of the founders Beman and Bertie Dawes. It contains original furnishings.
Tours given daily at 1:30, May-Oct; Mon-Fri at 3 rest of the year • 5 miles south on SR 13 • (740) 323-2355 or (800) 44-DAWES
The society runs three houses. The 1835 Buckingham House is open for private functions. The 1815 Sherwood-Davidson House is of Federal style and displays period furnishings. The 1907 Webb House, stresses the early years of the 20th century through furniture and heirlooms.
Sherwood-Davidson is open Tue-Sun 1-4 Mar-Dec; Webb is open Thu, Fri, Sun 1-4 Apr-Nov • N. 6th and W. Main Sts. • (740) 345-4898
The preserved farmhouse where the Hoover family lived during the late 19th century. Displays include tanning equipment and a collection of sweepers dating from 1869.
Open Wed-Sat 1-4 Mar-Dec • 2225 Easton St. N.W. • (330) 499-0287
The Oberlin Heritage Center is an accredited museum that features three historic buildings, complete with original, period, and reproduction furnishings: the Little Red Schoolhouse (1836), the Monroe House (1866), and the Jewett House (1884). Visit us for a tour and learn about Oberlin's leadership in the Underground Railroad and abolition, temperance, scientific discovery, co-education and integrated education, and women s rights.
Walk-in tours offered every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. (Group tours must be scheduled ahead of time.) • 73 1/2 South Professor St. • (440) 774-1700
The Piqua Historical Area State Memorial celebrates two thousand years of Ohio's rich history from prehistoric Indians to Ohio's canal era. The focal point of the peaceful 200-acre park is John Johnston--farmer, public official, and United States Indian Agent for western Ohio from 1812 to 1829. Here Johnston's numerous contributions to the growth of early Ohio and settlement of frontier America are presented in a truly unique and beautiful setting.
See their web site for hours • 9845 North Hardin Road • (937) 773-2522 or (800) 752-2619
The restored home of Rev. John Rankin, an early Ohio abolitionist.
Open Wed-Sun, 12-5, Memorial Day-Labor Day; Sat-Sun, 12-5 Sep-Oct • Off US 52 on Liberty Hill • (513) 392-1627
Formerly the home of Eleutherus Cooke, this 1840's stone and brick home was moved to its current location in 1874. Sandusky's first lawyer, Cooke was also a politician serving in the Ohio Legislature and U.S. Congress.
Open Tue-Fri 12-3, Sat 10-1 • 1415 Columbus Avenue • (419) 627-0640
The 1827 Greek Revival mansion is furnished with period items.
See their web site for hours • 404 Wayne St. • (419) 625-3834
Mansion View is a Victorian Mansion owned by the Old West End Association, which is a nonprofit dedicated to preserving its historic neighborhood. Mansion View operates as an event center/bed & breakfast for the sole purpose of generating funds for maintenance and renovation of this Victorian mansion and carriage house.
Call for appointment • 2035 Colllingwood Blvd • (419) 244-5676
Built in the 1930s, the manor reflects 18th century Georgian architecture. The mansion has 16 fireplaces, 17 baths, and more than 50 rooms. The solarium offers views of the formal gardens.
Open Wed-Sun 12-5 • 5100 W. Central Ave. • (419) 535-3058
Built in 1815, the house is believed to be the oldest house in the Western Reserve. It contains original furnishings and collections of the Robert Harper family. Outstanding among the 17 rooms is the banquet room.
Open Sat 11-5 May-Oct • 6333 South Ridge Rd. • (440) 466-3680
The 1853 Normandy style mansion displays Indian and pioneer artifacts, antique toys and clothing.
Open Thu-Sun 1-4:30 May-Oct • 130 S. 7th St. • (419) 294-3857
A recreated 19th century town using rebuilt and restored structures including the 1807 Levi Lukens house, the only building original to the site.
Buildings open by appt. Sat-Sun 9-8 • Caesar Creek State Park • (513) 897-3055
The pre-Civil War home of author and composer Benjamin Hanby is restored and furnished in period.
Open Sat 10-4, Sun 1-5 May-Oct; by appt rest of the year • 160 W. Main St. • (614) 846-1683
The museum is in the 1815 Beall House. Displays include original Beall furniture, porcelain, Indian artifacts, mounted animals, tools, firearms, clothing and arrowheads. Several other building are on the grounds.
Open Tue-Sun 2-4:30 • 546 E. Bowman St. • (216) 264-8856
Green County Historical Society Museum
The museum is in a restored Victorian. Next to the museum is the James Galloway Log House, built in 1799. It has survived a dismantling and re-creation in 1936, and the tornado of 1974.
Open Tue-Fri 9-3:30, Sat-Sun 1-4, Jun-Aug; Tue-Fri 9-3:30 rest of the year • 74 W. Church St. • (937) 372-4606
The village was founded in 1817 by German immigrants. Number One House, the home of leader Joseph Bimeler, a bakery, tin shop, wagon shed, general store, blacksmith shop, and garden house are restored.
Open Wed-Sat 9:30-5 Sun 12-5 Memorial Day-Labor Day; Sat 9:30-5, Sun 12-5 Apr-May and Sep-Oct • 3 miles s.e. of 1-77 on SR 212 • (216) 874-3211
The Moravian church founded Schoenbrunn ("beautiful spring") in 1772 as a mission to the Delaware Indians. The settlement grew to include sixty dwellings and more than 300 inhabitants who drew up Ohio's first civil code and built its first Christian church and schoolhouse.
See their web site for hours • on State Route 259 • (330) 339-3636 or (800) 752-2711
Victorian Preservation Association - P.O. Box 586 - San Jose, CA 95106-0586 - Email:firstname.lastname@example.org