Historic House Museums in Tennessee
We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Tennessee current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Tennessee that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
The park includes three historic homes. Brotherton House marks the spot where the Union line was broken, Snodgrass House served as a Union field hospital, and Cravens House served as a Conferderate field hospital..
Open daily 8-4:45 • 9 miles south of Chattanooga on US 27 • (706) 866-9241
A 1904 Classic Revival mansion houses the permanent displays.
Open Tue-Sat 10-4:30, Sun 1-4:30 • 2nd and Bluff View • (423) 267-0968
In addition to original furnishings from the White House, it contains items and portraits belonging to the Polks.
Open Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5, Apr-Oct;Mon-Sat 9-4, Sun 1-5, rest of the year • 2 blocks west of the square on US43 • (932) 388-2354
The John and Landon Carter Mansion
The 1780 mansion is one of Tennessee's oldest homes and retains 90% of the original building fabric.
Open Wed-Sun 8-4:30, Mid-May to Mid-Aug or by appt. year round • 1013 Broad St. • (423) 543-6140
Completed in 1826 by Randal McGavock, Carnton was one of the most elegant estates in Williamson county.
Open Mon-Sat 9-4, Sun 1-4 Apr-Dec; Mon-Fri 9-4 rest of the year • 1345 Carnton Lane • (615) 794-0903
The 1830 house is furnished with original and period furniture and commemorates the "Battle of the Generals."
Open Mon-Sat 9-4, Sun 2-4 • 1140 Columbia Avenue • (615) 791-1861
The historic house built in 1858 by Johann Albert Lotz,an immigrant from Germany. Mr. Lotz set about to build this home with his own hands. The house was completed in 1858 after three years of construction. During the building of his home Mr. Lotz added the personal touch of his wood working skills to the interior and exterior of the home
Open Mon-Sa 9-5, Sun 1-4 • 1111 Columbia Avenue • (615) 790-7190
Built around 1800, the house was the home of Gen. James Winchester, a Revolutionary War hero. The house is furnished with antiques and handmade pioneer items.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5, Apr 15 - Oct 31 • 200 Cragfont Road • (615) 452-7070
Home of Gen. Daniel Smith, a U.S. Senator and the surveyor who drew the first map of Tennessee.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5, Feb-Dec • 139 Rock Castle Ln. • (615) 824-0502
The novelist lived in this home from 1921 through 1929.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5 • 200 S. Church St. • (731) 738-2240
In 1788, the farm was the site of the Battle of the Lost State of Franklin. The farmhouse is a mid 19th century frame structure built around an earlier log home.
Open Mon-Fri 10-4, Sat-Sun 2-5, Apr-Oct; Mon-Fri 10-4, rest of the year • S. Roan St. • (423) 926-3631
The Armstrong-Lockett House and W.P. Bottoms Memorial Gardens
Built in 1834, the house was the centerpiece of a 600 acre farm. The restored home features 18th century American and English furniture and decorative arts. Terraced Italianate gardens with fountains descend to the river.
Open Tue-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-4, Mar-Dec; Call during spring to verify schedule • 2728 Kingston Pike-Cumberland Ave. • (867) 637-3163
One of the first frame houses west of the Alleghenies, the 1792 house is furnished with original and period pieces. The 1818 Craighead-Jackson House, next to the mansion, offers changing exhibits.
Open Mon-Sat 9:30-5 • Gay St. & W. Hill Ave. • (865) 525-2375 or (888) 654-0016
Built in 1797 and displays furniture from the 18th century.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5, Apr-Oct • 2614 Thorngrove Pike • (865) 546-0745
This 10,000 square-foot Victorian mansion was built by "Gorilla Pants" manufacturer Clay Faulkner in 1896. Called "Tennessee's Biltmore" by PBS, it had all the modern conveniences, including indoor plumbing, electric lights, central heat and air, and even a telephone.
Open 9-5, 7 days a week • 2645 Faulkner Springs Road. • (931) 668-4444
The house features displays of 18th and 19th century art. The gardens feature azaleas and dogwoods.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5 • 4339 Park Ave. • (901) 761-2409
If you think Elvis is still alive, you might want to check this one out. Otherwise there are four other homes to see in the area.
Call for hours and reservations • 3765 Elvis Presley Blvd. • (800) 238-2000 or (901) 332-3322
Possibly the oldest house in the city, it dates from 1836. The cottage was the home of pioneer schoolmaster Eugene Magevney.
Temporarily closed • 198 Adams Ave. • (901) 526-4464
The 1852 three story brick and stucco home exemplifies Italian villa architectural style. Most furnishings in the 25 room house are original, as are the stained glass windows bought at the 1893 World's Fair.
Temporarily closed • 652 Adams Ave. • (901) 523-484
A fine example of French Victorian style and craftsmanship, the 1870 house is restored and furnished with antiques. Changing exhibits often feature antique clothing.
Open Mon-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-4, Apr-Dec; 1-4 rest of the year • 680 Adams Ave. • (901) 526-1469
Restored Italianate plantation home built in the early 1800s and furnished in period.
Open Tue-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-4 Apr-Oct; Tue-Sat 11-3, Sun 1-3 rest of the year • 900 N. Maney Ave. • (615) 893-0022
The Greek Revival Mansion built in 1854 features a grand curved stairway, 14 foot ceilings and classic proportions. There is also a carriage house that displays 20 carriages.
Open Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5 • 5025 Harding Road • (615) 356-0501
An ornate Italianate Villa built in the 1850s for Adelica Acklen, one of the country's wealthiest women. The home contains an arch ceilinged ballroom, a grand staircase, heavy marble mantels, period furnishings and artwork collected by the original owners.
Open Mon-Sat 10-4, Sun 2-5 Jun-Aug; Tue-Sat 10-4 rest of the year • On the campus of Belmont University • (615) 460-5459
The home of Andrew Jackson was built in 1804 in the Federal style. In 1834, the house was partially burned and it was rebuilt 2 years later in the high Classical style.
See their web site for hours and special events • 4580 Rachel's Lane • (615) 889-2941
An English Settlement dating back to the 1880's. Visitors can learn from interpretive exhibits that trace the town's history and tour Victorian buildings. The first weekend in August is the Prilgrimage of Homes when some of the private homes are also open.
Open Mon-Sat 9:30-5, Sun 11:30-5:30, Feb-Dec • on SR 52 between US 27 & US 127 • (423) 628-2441 or (888) 214-3400
The mid 19th century home of the 21 year old Confederate hero has been restored and the 168 acre grounds contain outbuildings, slave quarters, period gardens and a museum.
Open Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 1-5, Mar-Oct; Mon-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-5, rest of the year • 1399 Sam Davis Road • (615) 459-2341
Victorian Preservation Association - P.O. Box 586 - San Jose, CA 95106-0586 - Email:firstname.lastname@example.org