Historic House Museums in Texas
We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Texas current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Texas that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
The house and studio of the famed sculptress contains some of her works.
Open Wed-Sat 10-5, Sun 12-5 • 304 E. 44th St. • (512) 458-2255
Southern mansion reminiscent of ante bellum days.
Open Mon-Fri 10-12 • 1010 Colorado St. • (512) 463-5518
Using native Texas materials, the house was completed about 1855. The Greek Revival home contains 19th century furnishings.
Open Wed-Sun 2-5 • 2310 San Gabriel • (512) 478-2335
A living history museum representing rural life in Central Texas during the 19th C. Costumed interpreters demonstrate daily life activities.
Open Sun 1-5 • 1400 Pioneer Farms Drive • (512) 837-1215
Built in 1845, the home is a simple two story Greek Revival structure. Several outbuildings are featured onsite.
Open Tue-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-4 • 2985 French Rd. • (409) 898-0348
The McFaddin-Ward House was built in 1905-06 in the striking and distinctive Beaux-Arts Colonial style. The structure and its furnishings reflect the lifestyle of the prominent family who lived in the house for seventy-five years.
Open Tue-Sat 10-3, Sun 1-3 • 1906 Calder Avenue • (409) 832-2134
The 12 room country house was the residence of the former Speaker of the House.
Open Tue-Fri 8-5, Sat & Sun 1-5 • 1.5 miles west on US 82 • (903) 583-5558
Built in 1850, the house displays a collection of historic items.
Open Mon-Fri 10-12, 2-5, Sun 3-5 • 1305 E. Washington St. •
The park features more than 30 restored buildings, some dating back to the 1840s. Their original sites were all within a 100 mile radius of Dallas. The Millermore Mansion was completed just as the Civil War broke out.
Open Tue-Sat 10-4, Sun 1:30-4:30 • 1717 Gano Street • (214) 421-5141
The President's birthplace has been restored to its 1890s appearance.
Open daily 8-5 Jun 1-Labor Day; daily 10-5 rest of the year • Lamar Ave. & Day St. • ( 903) 465-8908
Restored 1898 Queen Anne-style Victorian home completely furnished, with Victorian gardens. Shows late 19th-century Denton home and lifestyle.
Tue - Sat: 10 - noon & 1 - 3. Closed Mondays and Holidays. • 317 West Mulberry Street • (940) 349-2865
Plantation Tours of the 1849 Heard Northington House, Grounds and Slave House
Call for Hours • 11914 FM 102 • (979) 677-3562
Furnished in period, the restored 1875 Greek Revival uses adobe construction.
Open Wed-Sun 9-4 • 1120 Magoffin Ave • (915) 533-5147
Built in 1903 and remodeled in 1910, the Georgian Revival mansion is currently under restoration and is furnished in period.
Open Mon-Fri 10-3, Sun 1-4 • 1509 Pennsylvania Ave. • (817) 336-1212
The 1850 stone house built by Heinrich Kammiah features 9 furnished rooms and a wine cellar.
Open Mon-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5 May 1-Labor Day; Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5 rest of the year • 309 W. Main St. • (830) 997-2835
Surrounded by spacious lawns and towering palm trees, the 1859 Italianate villa features many original furnishings in the restored rooms.
Open Mon-Fri 10-4, Sat-Sun 12-5 • 24th & Broadway • (409) 762-3933
Started in 1886, the mansion was completed 7 years later at a cost of $250,000. The interior features a handcarved staircase, jeweled glass windows, and mantels that won awards when displayed at various world fairs.
Open daily 10-4:45 Memorial Day-Labor Day; Wed-Mon 12-4 rest of the year • 1402 Broadway • (409) 762-2475
One of the founders of the City of Galveston, Michel B. Menard arrived in Texas in 1829. The house, built in 1838 and the oldest on the island, is in the Greek Revival style. The furniture and furnishings, with few exceptions, all date from the first half of the 19th Century (1800-1850s).
Open Fi-Sun 12-4 • 1605 33rd Street • 409-762-3933.
Designed by William H. Tyndall and completed about 1895 for Mrs. Narcissa Willis, the home has been restored after surviving several hurricanes.
Open Mon-Sat 10-3, Sun 12-3 • 2618 Broadway • (409) 762-7668
Built by Samuel May Williams, who is credited with the formation of the Republic of Texas, the mansion contains period furnishings.
Open daily 12-4 • 3601 Avenue P • (409) 762-3933
Park includes the 1847 Kellum Noble House, the 1850 Nichols-Rice-Cherry House, the 1868 Pilot House, and the 1870s San Felipe Cottage.
Open Mon-Sat 10-4, Sun 1-5 • 1100 Bagby St. • (713) 956-0480 or (713) 759-1292
Sam Houston's home built in 1847 and the home where he died, the 1848 Steamboat House as well as his law office are on the grounds of the park.
Open Tue-Sun 9-5 • 1836 San Houston Ave. • (409) 295-7824
Not really a house, Atalanta is the restored private railroad car of George Jay Gould, built in 1890. With interior mahogany woodwork, four staterooms, a dining room, lounge, kitchen, pantry, and bathroom, it's kind of a mini mansion on wheels.
Open daily 9-5 • Across from the Excelsior House at 200 W. Austin St. • (903) 665-2513
A cupola with stained glass windows representing the four seasons gives the house its name. Built in 1872 for a prominent local lawyer, Benjamin H. Epperson, the house combines several styles popular during the Victorian era.
Tours Mon-Sat at 10:30 & 1:30, or by appointment; Sun at 1:30 • 409 S. Alley • (903) 665-8000
Both the home where LBJ spent his boyhood, and his grandparents' home are open.
Open daily 9-5 • 1 block south of US 290 • (830) 868-7128
Built in 1828, it is the oldest home in Nacogdoches and contains displays of Indian relics, glassware, and antiques.
Open Mon-Sat 9-12, 2-5 • 211 S Lanana St • (936) 560-5426
This 15 room three-story Queen Anne was built in 1894. The house features 9 fireplaces, and is furnished with original Stark family furniture, rugs, lamps, statues and paintings.
Open Tue-Sat 10-3 • 610 W. Main St. • (409) 883-0871
A square house with sides measuring 24' doesn't sound like much, but when it was built in the 1880s, it was the envied by the locals, many who were living in dugouts. Exhibits on the early plainsmen include wildlife, a vintage caboose, and a restored and furnished dugout shelter.
Open Mon-Sat 9-5:30, Sun 1-5:30 • 5th & Elsie Sts. • (806) 537-3118
Built for Sam Bell Maxey, Confederate general and U.S. Senator, in 1868, the Italianate home remained in the Maxey family for almost a century. The house was renovated in 1911 to add 20th century conveniences. The house is surrounded by beautiful grounds.
Open Wed-Sun 10-12, 1-5 • 812 S. Church St. • (903) 785-5716
Cattle rancher George Fulton built this Second Empire style home in 1874. To combat the hurricane force winds prevalent in the area, the house features many unique construction details.
Open Wed-Sun 9-11:30, 1-3:30 • 3.5 miles north on Fulton Beach Rd. • (361) 729-0386
The center includes 13 restored buildings from the 1840 settlement.
Open daily 12-5 • • (979) 249-3308
Located in the King William Street Historic District (be sure to walk around the neighborhood) this home was built in 1876 by Edward Steves. The home stayed in the family until it was donated in 1952. On display are Victorian era antiques including a seven piece matched parlor set, a 130 year old Chickering piano, and a canopy bed in which Robert E. Lee slept.
Open daily 10-5 • 509 King William Street • (210) 225-5924
The palace was built in 1749, mostly using materials imported from Spain. It was restored in 1931, San Antonio's 200th birthday.
Open Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5 • 105 Military Plaza • (210) 224-0601
The 1876 Victorian houses a museum with permanent exhibits and changing displays focusing on the Victorian era.
Open Tue-Sun 1-5 • 502 N. Liberty St. • (361) 575-8227
The 66 acre park features the 1836 plantation home of Gov. James S. Hogg.
Open Tue, Thu-Sat 10-11:30 & 1-4:30, Sun 1-4:30 • 1702 N. 17th St. • (979) 345-4656
The Kell House is one of the most historically and architecturally significant buildings in Wichita Falls. Built in 1909 by pioneer Frank Kell, this neo-classical style home features distinctive architecture, original family furnishings, textiles, decorative arts, and historic costumes. Guided tours of this local, state, and national landmark provide a fascinating history of this area's early settlement and of the Kell family.
Tues - Fri 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sat & Sun 2 to 4 p.m. • 900 Bluff Street • (940) 723-2712
Victorian Preservation Association - P.O. Box 586 - San Jose, CA 95106-0586 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org