Historic House Museums in Vermont
We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Vermont current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Vermont that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
The restored two story brick home was built in 1795. Furnished in period, the house also features a Colonial herb garden.
Open Fri-Mon 10-5, mid-May to mid-Oct • 1 mile east of Crown Pt. Bridge on SR17 • (802) 759-2309
The museum includes the Old Stone House, and the Alexander Twilight House.
Open Wed-Sun 11-5, May 15 to Oct 15 • 109 Old Stone House Road • (802) 754-2022
The homestead encompasses a timber frame house and several acres of land traversed by hiking trails.
See their web site for hours • Beaches exit off of North Ave • (802) 865-4556
The home of author, illustrator and naturalist Rowland E. Robinson looks much like it did at the end of the 19th century. Eight rooms document the Robinson family's occupancy from the 1790s to the 1960s.
Guided tours Thu-Sun at 11, 12:30 & 2, May-Oct • 4334 Route 7 • (802) 877-3406
The 24 room Georgian Revival mansion was the summer home of Robert Todd Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's son. The home remained in the family until 1975. It is filled with original furnishings and family memorabilia. The grounds include a formal garden and panoramic views of the mountains.
Guided tours daily on the half hour, 9:30-4, mid-May to Oct 31 • 1.5 miles s. on US 7A • (802) 362-1788
The Judd-Harris House, the rooms of which display much of the Henry Sheldon Museum's collection, was built in 1829 by the marble merchant Eben Judd and his son-in-law Lebbeus Harris. They were owners of a quarry and marble works near the falls of Otter Creek in Middlebury. Their three-story brick Federal house was a monument to their expertise in the marble industry.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5 • 1 Park Street, • (802) 388-2117
Two story brick mansion built by Jedediah Safford in the early 19th century.
Open Wed-Sat 1-5, Jul 1 - Labor Day • Main St. • (802) 888-7617
Built in 1865, this 35 room Victorian mansion contains period furnishings, clothing, art, porcelains, Victorian relics and personal memorabilia of the Park and McCullough families.
Open daily 10-4, late May to Oct 31 • 1 block w. off SR67A on West St. • (802) 442-5441
It was in the family homestead in Plymouth Notch, Vermont, that a vacationing Vice President Calvin Calvin Coolidge received an urgent message from Washington. Moments later, by the light of a kerosene lamp, Coolidge took the oath of office from his father, the local notary public, following the untimely death of President Warren Harding.
Open daily 9:30-5 May 28 to Oct 16 • 3780 Route 100A • (802) 672-3773
The castle was built in 1867 on a 115 acre estate. It features 19 open proscenium arches, a towering turret, parapet, and balcony. The castle's 32 rooms feature 84 stained glass windows and 13 fireplaces. Furnished with antiques and museum pieces and Oriental rugs.
Open daily 9-6, late May to mid-Oct • 3.5 miles s. on W. Proctor Rd. • (802) 773-3284
The Gothic Revival home was built in 1848-51 by Sen. Morrill and is furnished with family possessioins.
Open Wed-Sun 11-5, Memorial Day to mid-Oct • Center of Strafford Village • (802) 765-4484
The restored Farm Manager's house is a living history center offering a look at the Billings farm as it was in the 1890s.
Open daily 10-5, May 1 to late-Oct • .5 miles N. on SR 12, across the Elm Street Bridge • (802) 457-2355
The 1807 house includes exhibits of paintings, decorative arts, textiles, costumes, antique toys, dolls, tools and other local items.
Open Mon-Sat 10-5, Sun 2-5, May-Oct;Thanksgiving weekend 10-5; Sat-Sun 10-5 in Dec • 26 Elm St. • (802) 457-1822
Victorian Preservation Association - P.O. Box 586 - San Jose, CA 95106-0586 - Email:firstname.lastname@example.org •