We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Connecticut current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Connecticut that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.


Need an Image for ID# 20

General David Humphreys House

37 Elm St
Ansonia,Ct 06418
Phone: (203)735-1908
Year Built:1698
Admission Price:class trip (call for price) - Adult $5 Seniors $3
Hours: 2-4pm fall season 9-1pm summer season

The David Humphreys house is where our nations first ambassador to a forign country lived. David Humphreys served on Geroge Washingtons staff during the Revolution. The charming colonial mansion has five fireplaces all attached to one chimney. The day in 1762 program hosts many schools and is commited to educating children about the colonial era and local history. Children learn hands on, weaving, spinning, and cooking on an open hearth fire. Students receive a new identity and role play children who actually lived in 1762. Lunch is prepared on the open hearth fire and served in the dining room. The gift shop has many unique colonial toys. The program has been well received for over 25 years. Reserve your class trip today.


Need an Image for ID# 140

Harrison House Museum & Barn

124 Main Street
Branford,CT 06405
Phone: (203)488-4828
Year Built:1724
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 2-5pm, Sat, Jun to Sep

Built by Nathaniel Harrison in 1724 as a "two over two" house and occupied by his family and descendants until 1800, the house was then taken over by Linsleys who with their descendants lived here until 1938. In that year J. Frederick Kelly, prominent architectural historian, bought the Harrison House and painstakingly restored it to its original condition.


Need an Image for ID# 141

Prudence Crandall Museum

1 South Canterbury Road
Canterbury,CT 06331
Phone: (860)546-7800
Year Built:1831
Admission Price:Adults $6, Seniors & Youth $4
Hours: See their website

Prudence Crandall (1803-1890) opened an academy on the Canterbury Green in 1831 to educate daughters of wealthy local families. The museum includes period rooms, changing exhibits, a small research library (available by appointment for in-house study) and a gift shop.

Cos Cob

Need an Image for ID# 1149

Bush-Holley Historic Site

39 Strickland Road
Cos Cob,CT 06807
Phone: (203)869-6899
Year Built:1730
Admission Price:Adults $10, Seniors $8, Children under 18 free
Hours: 12-4pm Wed.-Sun. Mar.-Dec.; 12-4pm, Sat.-Sun., Jan.-Feb.

The circa 1730 structure began life as a home for prosperous merchants and gained recognition later as a boarding house and gathering place for many prominent American artists and writers. It is a National Historic Landmark operated by the Greenwich Historical Society, which also runs an art gallery, gift shop, summer camp, and many programs throughout the year such as lectures.


Need an Image for ID# 142

Nathan Hale Homestead

2299 South Street
Coventry,CT 06238
Phone: (860)742-6917
Year Built:1776
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $6, Children $4
Hours: See their website

The Nathan Hale Homestead was the home of the family of State Hero, Nathan Hale. Constructed in 1776, the current house is the second dwelling built on the property. Nathan’s father, Richard Hale, was a prosperous livestock farmer and built the house for his large family. Ardent patriots, six of Richard’s eight sons served in the patriot army. One son, Capt. Nathan Hale was caught and hanged as a spy at age 21 by the British in September of 1776. He is famous for his alleged last words, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”


Need an Image for ID# 143

Danbury Museum & Historical Society

43 Main Street
Danbury,CT 06810
Phone: (203)743-5200
Year Built:
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The museum consists of the 1785 Rider House which contains period furnishings; textile and historical exhibits, the 1790 Dodd Hat Shop; a library; and changing exhibits in Huntington Hall.


Need an Image for ID# 144

Osborne Homestead Museum

500 Hawthorne Avenue
Derby,CT 06418
Phone: ()-
Year Built:1840
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

Adjacent to the rolling hills and open meadows of Osbornedale State Park, the recently renovated Osborne Homestead Museum encompasses the house and grounds of the former Frances Osborne Kellogg Estate. Originally constructed in the mid-1800’s, the house was enlarged and completely remodeled in the Colonial Revival style during the 1920’s. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, its restored interior now displays the original contents of the estate, which constitutes a significant collection of antiques and fine arts.

East Haddam

Need an Image for ID# 145

Gillette Castle State Park

67 River Road
East Haddam,CT 06423
Phone: (860)526-2336
Year Built:1914
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: 10-4:30 Memorial Day Weekend thru Columbus Day

Atop the most southerly hill in a chain known as the Seven Sisters, William Hooker Gillette, noted actor, director, and playwright, built this one hundred and eighty-four acre estate, the Seventh Sister. The focal point of his effort was a twenty four room mansion reminiscent of a medieval castle.

East Lyme

Need an Image for ID# 146

Thomas Lee House

228 West Main Street
East Lyme,CT 06333
Phone: (860)739-6070
Year Built:1660
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The Thomas Lee House, c.1660, is one of the oldest wood frame houses in Connecticut in its primitive state. The original dwelling consisted of a timber frame erected on six 2-story wall posts, with the Judgement Hall below and the Chamber above. A steeply pitched roof covered a spacious attic over the chamber. A small stone walled cellar pit under part of the hall was reached through a trap door. A massive fireplace with timber lintel spanned most of the west wall. Around 1700 the West Parlor and West Chamber were added as a free standing structure framed on its own four corner posts. About 1765 , the lean-to with the Kitchen and its adjoining rooms were added. The West Parlor was plastered, the summer beam and chimney girt were sheathed, and the paneling formerly on the plastered walls was reused in the lean-to. New paneling, with four flute pilasters was added on the fireplace wall. Today the house is maintained and furnished as it would have been in the 18th century.


Need an Image for ID# 625

Pratt House Museum

19 West Avenue
Essex,CT 06426
Phone: (860)767-0681
Year Built:1701
Admission Price:free
Hours: 1 - 5 Fri, Sat, Sun. June through Sept.

Seven generations of the Pratt family lived here continously from 1701 until 1915. Originally built in 1701 by John Pratt Jr., the house has been added on to and changed to meet the needs of the family, and social changes as the village moved from an agrarian society to one in which the building of sailing ships dominated. It is furnished with 18th and 19th century antiques. The 2 acre property also includes a kitchen garden and barn. It is owned and run by the Essex Historical Society.


Need an Image for ID# 147

Hill-Stead Museum

35 Mountain Road
Farmington,CT 06032
Phone: (860)677-4787
Year Built:1901
Admission Price:Adults $10, Seniors $9, Students $8, Children $5
Hours: 10-4pm Tue-Sun

The 152-acre property features an Arts and Crafts carriage barn and theater, stone garages, woodland trails, a pond and dairy complex, and a Sunken Garden designed by Beatrix Farrand c. 1920.

Need an Image for ID# 148

Stanley-Whitman House

37 High Street
Farmington,CT 06032
Phone: (860)677-9222
Year Built:1720
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $5, Students $4
Hours: 9-4pm Wed-Fri, 12-4pm Sat-Sun

The Post Medieval-style house is a rare surviving example of early New England architecture, reminiscent of houses the early Colonists had known in England. A center chimney flanked by parlor and hall with two chambers above provided both living and storage space. The Colonists built houses from wood, the plentiful resource in the area, and used post and beam construction for the frame. The second floor extends beyond the first on the front facade, creating an overhang. The original purpose of the overhang is unknown, but it did provide more space in the upper chambers.


Need an Image for ID# 149

Putnam Cottage

243 East Putnam Avenue
Greenwich,CT 06830
Phone: (203)869-9697
Year Built:1690
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 1-4pm Sun, May to Nov

This bright red house on the Boston Post Road has had a long and colorful history. It was originally built in the 17th century and has grown over the years into its current size and shape. During this time, a number of elements have both been added and removed from the structure. The result is the current building that reflects the changing attitudes of the various owners who have lived and worked there, rather than just those of the original owners and builders. It is not a static object from the 17th century, but a dynamic building that reflects the whole period of its existence.


Need an Image for ID# 152

Henry Whitfield State Museum

248 Old Whitfield Street
Guilford,CT 06437
Phone: (203)453-2457
Year Built:
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Open weekdays by appointment only

The Whitfield family home also served as a fort for the community. Its massive stone walls and chimneys, steeply-pitched roof, and casement windows reflect the style of post-medieval domestic architecture found in England rare in 17th century America and unique today. Through the years, the "Old Stone House" has undergone many changes and many families have called it home. Today, it is Connecticut's oldest house and New England's oldest stone house.

Need an Image for ID# 153

Hyland House

84 Boston Street
Guilford,CT 06437
Phone: (203)453-9477
Year Built:1700
Admission Price:Free
Hours: See their website

The Hyland House, a museum of early colonial life and architecture, was built circa 1690-1710. Scheduled for demolition in 1916, it was purchased and restored by the Dorothy Whitfield Historic Society. It has been open to the public as a living historical environment since 1918.

Need an Image for ID# 154

Thomas Griswold House Museum

171 Boston Street
Guilford,CT 06437
Phone: (203)453-3176
Year Built:1774
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

Besides the 1774 Thomas Griswold House Museum and the 1803 Medad Stone Tavern, the Society maintains an early blacksmith shop, a large barn filled with farm implements, two corn cribs and a Victorian three seat privy or outhouse.


Need an Image for ID# 155

Butler-McCook House & Garden

396 Main Street
Hartford,CT 06103
Phone: (860)522-1806
Year Built:1782
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $6, Children $4
Hours: See their website

For 189 years the Butler-McCook House & Garden was home to four generations of a family who participated in, witnessed, and recorded the evolution of Main Street between the American Revolution and the mid-twentieth century. The house's exterior looks much as it did when it was built in 1782. Behind it is a restored Victorian ornamental garden, originally laid out in 1865. Inside are the original furnishings ranging from Connecticut-crafted colonial furniture to Victorian-era toys and paintings to samurai armor acquired during a trip to Japan.

Need an Image for ID# 156

Harriet Beecher Stowe Center

77 Forest Street
Hartford,CT 06105
Phone: (860)522-9258
Year Built:1871
Admission Price:Adults $9, Seniors $8, Children $6
Hours: See their website

A visit to the Stowe Center begins with the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, a charming Victorian Gothic Revival home (1871), and includes Victorian-style gardens, the Katharine Seymour Day House (1884), a grand mansion adjacent to the Stowe House and the Stowe Visitor Center (1873), with changing exhibitions and the museum store.

Need an Image for ID# 157

The Mark Twain House & Museum

351 Farmington Avenue
Hartford,CT 06105
Phone: (860)247-0998
Year Built:1873
Admission Price:Adults $15, Seniors $13, Children $9
Hours: See their website

The Mark Twain House & Museum, a National Historic Landmark in Hartford, Connecticut, was the home of Americas greatest author, Samuel Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain) and his family from 1874 to 1891. It is also where Twain lived when he wrote his most important works, including Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prince and The Pauper and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court. A stunning example of Picturesque Gothic architecture, the 25-room home features a dramatic grand hall with rare examples of Victorian decorative arts by Louis Comfort Tiffanys design firm Associated Artists, a lush glass conservatory, a grand library and the handsome billiard room where Twain wrote his famous books.


Need an Image for ID# 158

Jonathan Trumbull Jr. House Museum

780 Trumbull Highway
Phone: ()-
Year Built:1765
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 12-4pm Sat-Sun, mid-May to Columbus Day

Jonathan Trumbull Junior's Georgian-style house was probably built sometime in the early 1760s by his father, Jonathan Trumbull Sr. Jonathan Jr. and his bride Eunice Backus of Norwich were living in the house at least by 1767, the year they were married, although Jonathan did not purchase the house from his father until 1777. He then hired master joiner Isaac Fitch of Lebanon to remodel the house. Isaac Fitch carved the elaborate woodwork and paneling in the downstairs rooms and the cherry bannister that curves along the stairway to the second floor. A kitchen ell and an extension to the north parlor were also added.


Need an Image for ID# 159

The Reeve House and Litchfield Law School

82 South Street
Litchfield,CT 06759
Phone: (860)567-4501
Year Built:1773
Admission Price:Adults $5, Seniors $3
Hours: See their website

In 1773, the newly married Tapping Reeve and Sally Burr Reeve settled in Litchfield where Reeve promptly established a legal practice. The following year, Sally's brother Aaron Burr came to live with them and Reeve began to instruct him in the law. Several prominent residents of Litchfield also sent their sons to Reeve for legal training, establishing his reputation as a teacher and forming the nucleus of what was to become America's first formal school of law.

Need an Image for ID# 160

Topsmead State Forest

Buell Road
Litchfield,CT 06759
Phone: (860)567-5694
Year Built:1923
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 8am to sunset

In 1917, Miss Chase received from her father approximately 16 acres on Jefferson Hill in Litchfield. Here she built a rustic cabin, which was replaced with a more substantial summer home in 1923. She hired noted architect Richard Henry Dana, Jr. to help her design and build the English Tudor style house which was completed in 1925. The exterior woodwork is of cypress, the downspouts are lead, the walls of brick and stucco, and the roof is slate. The interior woodwork is oak, as is most of the flooring. The foyer, hallway and dining room floors are of polished terra cotta tile. Most of the interior walls are of the same type of stucco as is found on the exterior. Fine craftsmanship, an eye for detail and understated wealth are evident throughout the house, which is tastefully and simply furnished with 17th and 18th century English country antiques.


Need an Image for ID# 161

The Wadsworth Mansion at Long Hill

421 Wadsworth Street
Middletown,CT 06457
Phone: (860)347-1064
Year Built:1900
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The New York architecture firm of Hoppin and Koen designed a domain on a par with the estates of Lenox, Massachusetts, and the "cottages" of Newport, Rhode Island. For over 30 years, Long Hill was the center of ceremonial life for the Wadsworth and Hubbard families.


Need an Image for ID# 162

Amasa Day House

33 Plains Rd.
Moodus,CT 06469
Phone: ()-
Year Built:1816
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

The house is furnished largely with objects owned by members of the Day family, including toys and locally produced ceramics and silver, and still features the original floor and stair stenciling applied to mimic carpeting. Also on display are a selection of photographs from among the thousands taken by pioneering art photographer Dr. Amasa Day Chaffee between 1890 and 1925


Need an Image for ID# 630

Denison Homestead Museum

120 Pequotsepos Road
P.O. Box 42
Mystic,CT 06355
Phone: (860)536-9248
Year Built:1717
Admission Price:Adults $8, Seniors $6, Students $5, Children under
Hours: 12-4pm Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Jun-Oct. Other times by appointment.

Built in 1717, this colonial post and beam structure is located 5 minutes from downtown Mystic on 160 of the original 200 acres of land granted to Captain George Denison in 1654. The house was restored in the mid 1940's by famed architectural historian J. Fredrick Kelly. Five of the rooms have been restored to reflect five different historic periods in American History. This unique historic house museum is one of the few houses still owned by the original family.

New Canaan

Need an Image for ID# 163

New Canaan Historical Society

13 Oenoke Ridge
New Canaan,CT 06840
Phone: (203)966-1776
Year Built:1764
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The society has 5 buildings open including the 1764 Hanford-Silliman House Museum, and the Town House which contains a costume museum.

New Haven

Need an Image for ID# 164

Pardee Morris House

325 Lighthouse Rd.
New Haven,CT 06510
Phone: (203)562-2002
Year Built:1750
Admission Price:Call for info
Hours: Call for info

Built by Amos Morris around 1750, the house was burned by the British during their raid on New Haven in 1779 and rebuilt by the Morris family. It remained in that family until 1915, when it was purchased by William Pardee, a descendant of the Morris family, who hoped to make it his home.

New London

Need an Image for ID# 165

Hempsted Houses

11 Hempstead St.
New London,CT 06320
Phone: ()-
Year Built:1678
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $6, Children $4
Hours: See their website

The Hempsted Houses comprises two buildings: the 1678 Joshua Hempsted House and the 1759 Nathaniel Hempsted House. The Joshua Hempsted House is a frame building and is one of New Englands oldest and best-documented dwellings. Joshua Hempsted lived here his whole life, filling many roles, including farmer, judge, gravestone carver, shipwright, and father of nine children left motherless by his wifes death in 1716.

Need an Image for ID# 166

Monte Cristo Cottage

325 Pequot Avenue
New London,CT 06320
Phone: (860)443-5378
Year Built:1840
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $5
Hours: See their website

The Monte Cristo Cottage was the boyhood summer home of Eugene O'Neill from 1900 until 1917, when he began supporting himself as a playwright. Named in honor of his father, actor James O'Neill's most popular role, the dashing Edmund Dantes in The Count Of Monte Cristo, the 1840s cottage is both a Registered National Landmark and a museum, featuring an extensive collection of artifacts and memorabilia, including an O'Neill portrait and poster gallery and a permanent exhibition on the life and works of the playwright.

Need an Image for ID# 167

Shaw Mansion

11 Blinman Street
New London,CT 06320
Phone: (860)443-1209
Year Built:1750
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The wealthy merchant, Captain Nathaniel Shaw, began building the granite mansion in the 1750′s with the help of French refugees being dispersed from Nova Scotia, the Acadians, during the time of the French and Indian War.


Need an Image for ID# 332

Smith-Harris House Museum

33 Society Road
Niantic,CT 06357
Phone: (860)739-0761
Year Built:1845
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 1-4 pm, Sat-Sun, June 11-September 4

On the National Register of Historic Places as the Thomas Avery House, c. 1845, the Smith-Harris House Museum is an excellent example of a Greek Revival farmhouse from the mid-19th century. The home is furnished in a style appropriate to a prosperous New England farm family. The front hall is decorated with a mural in the style of Rufus Porter, representing the Town of East Lyme in 1845. Current displays and events tell the story of the impact of the Civil War on domestic life in Connecticut.


Need an Image for ID# 168

Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum

295 West Avenue
Norwalk,CT 06850
Phone: (203)838-9799
Year Built:1864
Admission Price:Adults $10, Seniors $8, Students $6
Hours: 12-3pm, Wed-Sun, early Apr to early Jan

A National Historic Landmark since 1971, the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum is regarded as one of the earliest and most significant Second Empire Style country houses in the United States. Built by renowned financier and railroad baron LeGrand Lockwood, during and shortly after the Civil War years, (1864 to 1868), the mansion, with its unparalleled Gilded Age interiors and furniture, illustrates magnificently the beauty and splendor of the Victorian Era.


Need an Image for ID# 169

Christopher Leffingwell House Historic Museum

348 Washington Street
Norwich,CT 06360
Phone: (860)889-9440
Year Built:1675
Admission Price:Adults $5, Seniors $3, Children $2
Hours: 1-4pm Sat, Apr 15th to Oct 15th

The Christopher Leffingwell House Museum is considered one of the finest restored examples of New England's Colonial Architecture. Displayed within it's walls are wonderful examples of early Norwich silversmiths and clock makers. It is a living museum where visitors can experience 18th century civilian life as they walk through its' rooms and feel a connection to those who founded this country.

Old Lyme

Need an Image for ID# 170

Florence Griswold Museum

96 Lyme St.
Old Lyme,CT 06371
Phone: (860)434-5542
Year Built:1817
Admission Price:Adults $9, Seniors $8, Students $7
Hours: 10-5 Tue-Sat, 1-5 Sun

The House is a National Historic Landmark. Designed by Samuel Belcher, architect of the First Congregational Church of Old Lyme, and built for William Noyes in 1817, the Late Georgian-style mansion reflects the affluent, formal style of living during Old Lyme's maritime era. The period rooms rekindle the spirit of another life and time.

Old Saybrook

Need an Image for ID# 171

Hart House and Gardens

350 Main St.
Old Saybrook,CT 06475
Phone: (860)395-1635
Year Built:1767
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

Built more than two centuries ago in 1767 for his bride, Esther Buckingham, the General William Hart house is one of the earliest houses in Saybrook, the first settlement on the southern shore of Connecticut.


Need an Image for ID# 172

Stone-Otis House

615 Orange Center Rd
Phone: (203)795-3106
Year Built:1830
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

The Stone-Otis House, ca. 1830, was built by Sarah and Dennis Stone. This house represents one of the finest old homes in what was the newly formed town of Orange. Built on the east side of the Town Green, this modified Greek Revival stands as a tribute to the fine workmanship of the time.


Twitchell-Rowland Homestead

60 Towner Lane
Oxford,CT 06478
Phone: (203)888-0230
Toll Free: (203)888-4159
Year Built:1755
Admission Price:free
Hours: 2-4 p.m. First and Third Sunday of month

Farmhouse built circa 1755 used as local history museum and Historical Society Heaquarters. Colonial Saltbox features changing exhibits on local history.


Need an Image for ID# 173

The Huntington Homestead

36 Huntington Road
Scotland,CT 06264
Phone: (860)456-8381
Year Built:1723
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

The house where Samuel Huntington was born and raised was built for his father about 1723. It was two stories in height with one room on each floor. In the present house, the east front room on the ground floor and the chamber above it are Nathaniel Huntington's original house. In form and construction, this house reflected a conservative approach to building that was rooted deep in the seventeenth century. The house was enlarged and remodelled to its present appearance in several phases over the next 120 years.


Need an Image for ID# 178

Phelps Tavern

800 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury,CT 06070
Phone: (860)658-2500
Year Built:1771
Admission Price:Adults $6, Children $4
Hours: 12-4pm, Thu-Sat, Mid Apr to Mid Oct

The Phelps house and tavern was owned by five generations of the Phelps family for nearly two hundred years. The building served as family home, canal hotel, lodge meeting site, entertainment hall, and local tavern. From 1786 until 1849, three generations of fathers and sons, and one widow, served as tavern-keepers.


Need an Image for ID# 174

The Barnes Museum

85 North Main Street
Southington,CT 06489
Phone: (860)628-5426
Year Built:1836
Admission Price:Adults $5, Seniors $4, Students $2
Hours: See their website

Displays of historic diaries, photographs, periodicals, clothing and other items are featured in this house. Framed in solid oak, the house features finely crafted woodwork, stairways, and fireplaces.


Need an Image for ID# 175

The Hoyt Barnum House

713 Bedford Street
Stamford,CT 06903
Phone: (203)329-1183
Year Built:1675
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: By appointment only

The people who built this house were the children or grandchildren of the founders of Stamford. Their tastes and their sense of relation to England were beginning to change and they were becoming more independent. They adopted English architectural styles into a more American mode.


Need an Image for ID# 176

Boothe Memorial Park & Museum

5800 Main St.
Stratford,CT 06615
Phone: (203)381-2068
Year Built:1840
Admission Price:Free
Hours: See their website

Boothe Memorial Park & Museum sits on an idyllic, 32 acre site in the north end of Stratford by the Housatonic River, which was the estate of the Boothe family for many generations and willed to the town in 1949 for the public to enjoy. The park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There are many architecturally unique buildings and attractions on the grounds.

Need an Image for ID# 177

The Judson House

967 Academy Hill
Stratford,CT 06615
Phone: (203)378-0630
Year Built:1750
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: See their website

Built circa 1750 by Capt. David Judson on the site of his great-grandfather's 1639 stone house, Judson House is a fine example of Georgian achitecture with its impressive broken scroll pediment entry. It is furnished with period pieces of Stratford origin. The beautiful paneled "west roome" contains an early piano which belonged to William Samuel Johnson, framer of the U.S. Constitution, and the second president of Columbia University. An outstanding collection of Chinese porcelain is displayed in the dining room as well as a circa 1750 Crown Great Chair (Heart and Crown), a form unique to this area.


Need an Image for ID# 179

Hatheway House

55 South Main Street
Suffield,CT 06103
Phone: (203)247-8996
Year Built:1760
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $4
Hours: Call for schedule

Shaded by a 300-year-old sycamore tree, the Hatheway House provides a glimpse of 18th century life. The main block of the house was built in the 1760s by Shem Burbank for his bride. Here they raised a large family until financial reverses forced the sale of the property to Oliver Phelps, a prosperous land speculator. To reflect his increasing wealth, Phelps altered the existing house and in 1794 added a wing in the current high fashion. This wing still has rooms with their original vibrant-colored French wallpapers. After Phelps death in debt, the house was purchased by Asahel Hatheway and it remained in the Hatheway family for a century. Today, the site is maintained by the Antiquarian and Landmarks Society as an historic house museum.


Need an Image for ID# 180

Hotchkiss-Fyler House Museum

192 Main Street
Torrington,CT 06790
Phone: (860)482-8260
Year Built:1897
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 12-4pm Tue-Sat, Apr 15 - Oct 31

Perhaps most impressive to visitors is the quantity and quality of the millwork that can be seen throughout this residence. Built by the Hotchkiss Brothers Company (the family business), the house was obviously a showpiece for the firm. Mahogany, birds-eye maple, quarter-sawn oak and red birch are just a few of the types of wood used in the house. Paneled walls and elaborate hand carved details can be seen in abundance, especially in the first floor of the mansion. The interior decoration, together with the family furnishings and collections of porcelain, paintings and art glass, are sure to provide a visual delight for the visitor.


Need an Image for ID# 181

Gunn Memorial Library & Museum

5 Wykeham Road
Washington,CT 06793
Phone: (860)868-7756
Year Built:1781
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 10-4pm Thu-Sat, 12-4pm Sun, May 16 to Jan

Typical of the central hall design, the Simeon-Mitchell House was built in 1781. The house features exhibits on local history, furniture, clothing, tools, rare books and more.

West Hartford

Need an Image for ID# 182

Noah Webster House

227 South Main St.
West Hartford,CT 06107
Phone: (860)521-5362
Year Built:
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $5, Students $4
Hours: 1-4pm Thu-Mon

Webster's birthplace helps to tell the story of one man's vision and his impact on American culture. Through the promotion of education, laws, human rights, and language, Noah Webster helped to create a national identity for a fledgling nation.; Though he accomplished much more during his life, Webster is best remembered for authoring two of Americas most influential books, the "Blue-Backed Speller" and An American Dictionary of the English Language.


Need an Image for ID# 184

Hurlbut-Dunham House

212 Main St
Phone: (860)529-7161
Year Built:1790
Admission Price:Adults $5
Hours: Call for hours

Built in 1790s in the Georgian style, the house was occupied in 1804 by Captain John Hurlbut, a successful mariner who circumnavigated the globe on the ship Neptune. In the 1860s, the house was remodeled by Levi Goodwin to reflect the Italianate style popular at that time. An ell containing kitchens, servants quarters and a large copper cistern to hold rainwater was added.

Need an Image for ID# 183

Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum

211 Main Street
Wethersfield,CT 06109
Phone: (860)571-8636
Year Built:1715
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum, owned and managed by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Connecticut, operates four remarkable 18th century houses, three of which are National Historic Landmarks. The 1752 Joseph Webb House served as George Washingtons headquarters in May 1781, and was later owned by Wallace Nutting. The Silas Deane House, circa 1770, was built for Americas Revolutionary War diplomat to France as both his residence and as a power base for his political aspirations. The Isaac Stevens House, 1789, depicts the life of a middle class family in the 1820s and 30s using many original family possessions. The 1715 Buttolph-Williams House captures the spirit of Puritan life in New England in the 17th century.


Need an Image for ID# 186

Huntington House Museum

289 Broad Street
Windsor,CT 06095
Phone: (860)688-2004
Year Built:1901
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

The 6,500 square-foot house is an example of neo-classical revival architecture and was modeled after a Newport, RI mansion. It includes breathtaking leaded glass, 12-foot ceilings, and spectacular staircases, woodwork, china cabinets, built-ins and marble fireplace.

Need an Image for ID# 185

Windsor Historical Society Museum

96 Palisado Avenue
Windsor,CT 06095
Phone: (860)688-3813
Year Built:1758
Admission Price:Adults $5, Seniors and Students $4,
Hours: 10-4pm Tue-Sat

The 1758 John and Sarah Strong House and the 1765 Dr. Hezekiah Chaffe House have changing exhibits.


Need an Image for ID# 187

Glebe House Museum and The Gertrude Jekyll Garden

49 Hollow Road
Woodbury,CT 06798
Phone: (203)263-2855
Year Built:1750
Admission Price:Adults $5, Children $2
Hours: See their website

The house was built about 1750 and is an architecturally interesting and unusual combination of gambrel and saltbox roof styles. In 1926, the famed English horticultural designer and writer was commissioned to plan an "old fashioned" garden to enhance the newly created musuem. Gertrude Jekyll (pronounced jeek uhl) had a profound influence on modern garden design and is widely considered the greatest gardener of the 20th century. Although a small garden, when compared with the some 400 more elaborate designs she completed in England and on the continent, the Glebe House garden includes 600 feet of classic English style mixed border and foundation plantings, a planted stone terrace, and an intimate rose allee.


Roseland Cottage

556 Route 169
Woodstock,CT 06281
Phone: (860)928-4074
Year Built:1846
Admission Price:Adults $8, Seniors $7, Students $4
Hours: 11-4pm Wed-Sun, Jun 1 to Oct 15

Built in 1846 in the newly fashionable Gothic Revival style, Roseland Cottage depicts the summer life of Henry and Lucy Bowen and their young family. Prominently situated across from the town common, Roseland Cottage epitomizes Gothic Revival architecture, with its steep gables, decorative bargeboards, and ornamented chimney pots. The interior of Roseland Cottage is equally colorful, and features elaborate wall coverings, heavily patterned carpets, and stained glass, much of which survives unchanged from the Victorian era.