We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Maryland current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Maryland that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.


Hammond-Harwood House

19 Maryland Avenue
Annapolis,MD 21401
Phone: (410)263-4683
Year Built:1774
Admission Price:Adults $7, Children $4, Seniors & Students $6
Hours: See their website

Hammond-Harwood House is the Jewel of Annapolis, the grandest Colonial house in Annapolis, preserved intact since 1774. It was the last project of the renowned Colonial architect William Buckland. In addition to its magnificent, perfectly preserved architecture inside and out, this National Historic Landmark contains an outstanding collection of John Shaw furniture and Charles Willson Peale paintings.

William Paca House and Garden

186 Prince George Street
Annapolis,MD 21401
Phone: (410)990-4538
Year Built:1763
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

The William Paca House & Garden is a National Historic Landmark, restored by Historic Annapolis to its colonial-era splendor. The House is open for docent-led tours for individuals and groups. Tours take place hourly on the half-hour, last approximately 40 minutes, and encompass two floors of 18th-century history. You can take a self-paced tour of the garden at any time during opening hours.


Homewood House Museum

3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore,MD 21218
Phone: (410)516-5589
Year Built:1775
Admission Price:Adults $8, Seniors $7, Students $5
Hours: 11am-4pm Tue-Fri, 12-4pm Sat-Sun

The museum's collections consist of fine and decorative arts objects representative of the furnishings during the Carroll family’s occupancy (1775–1825). Some works have direct affiliation with the Carroll family. The majority of the collection is American, with a strong concentration in high-quality Baltimore furniture of the period. English ceramics, silver, and furniture, as well as items of Chinese and French manufacture, are reflective of the imports available in early-19th century Baltimore.

Need an Image for ID# 1089

Irish Railroad Workers Museum

918 Lemmon Street
Baltimore,MD 21223
Phone: (410)347-4747
Year Built:1848
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 11am-2pm Fri - Sat , 1-4pm Sun

The Irish Railroad Workers Museum consists of two renovated alley houses in 900 block of Lemmon Street. The houses on Lemmon Street were built in 1848 to provide homes for the growing number of workers needed by America's first railroad. One of the houses is furnished as a period-house museum, reflecting the lives of the Irish-immigrant family who lived there in the 1860s. The other house offers changing exhibits relating to Irish-American history and local neighborhood life.

Mount Clare Museum House

1500 Washington Blvd
Baltimore,MD 21230
Phone: (410)837-3262
Year Built:1760
Admission Price:Adults $6, Seniors $5, Children $4
Hours: 11am-4pm Thu-Sun

Mount Clare is a 1760 colonial Georgian home built by one of Maryland’s leading patriots and one of our first state senators, Charles Carroll, Barrister. Mount Clare was the center of Georgia Plantation, a self-sufficient plantation with a diverse community. Because of its exceptional value in interpreting our rich national heritage, Mount Clare was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971.

The Baltimore Poe House and Museum

203 Amity Street
Phone: (410)396-7932
Year Built:1830
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The house was built around 1830 in what was then considered the country. The new Baltimore and Ohio train station had opened a few short blocks south of the Poe House in 1830.

The Star Spangled Banner Flag House

844 East Pratt Street
Baltimore,MD 21202
Phone: (410)837-1793
Year Built:1793
Admission Price:Adults $8, Seniors $7, Students $6
Hours: 10am-4pm Tue-Sat

Built in 1793, the Star-Spangled Banner Flag House was the home and place of business of Mary Pickersgill, maker of the flag that inspired Francis Scott Key’s famous poem that later became our national anthem. Mary and her daughter Caroline moved into the house in 1806, along with Mary’s mother, Rebecca Young, who began the flag-making business in Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War.


Need an Image for ID# 1209

James E. Kirwan House

641 Dominion Road
Chester,MD 21619
Phone: (410)829-7760
Year Built:1889
Admission Price:Free
Hours: First Saturday of the Month, April to November

The James E. Kirwan House and Store is a living museum located south of the village of Chester on Kent Island, Queen Anne's County, Maryland. It served as a general store, lumber mill, cooper's mill, and blacksmith shop between 1889 and 1955 and facilitated local trade as a port on Kirwan Creek.


Surratt House Museum

9118 Brandywine Road
Clinton,MD 20735
Phone: (301)868-1121
Year Built:1852
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

Built in 1852 as a middle-class plantation home, historic Surratt House also served as a tavern and hostelry, a post office, and polling place during the crucial decade before the Civil War. During the war, it was a safehouse for the Confederate underground which flourished in Southern Maryland. It was the country home of Mary Surratt, first woman to be executed by the United States government after being found guilty of conspiring with John Wilkes Booth to assassinate Abraham Lincoln.


Gordon-Roberts House

218 Washington Street
Cumberland,MD 21502
Phone: (301)777-8678
Year Built:1867
Admission Price:Adults $7, Seniors $6, Children $5
Hours: 10am-5pm Wed-Sat

The Gordon-Roberts House was built on lot #60 of the Town of Cumberland as laid out by Thomas Beall of Samuel, who was offered at public sale, February 1812. The highest bidder was Beal Howard who paid $16.62 for the lot, plus $1.00 per year for ground rent. Beal Howard sold this land to Daniel Carroll Brent of Stafford County, Virginia. William Brent was the next owner by inheritance. When William Brent died the property was sold through his estate to Josiah Gordon for $700, at public sale, held at the St. Nicholas Hotel, April 8, 1865. Final deed was March 2, 1866. The house was constructed in 1867 by John Walton, who also worked on Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 16 Washington Street and the Academy, 31 Washington Street.


Mount Harmon Plantation

600 Mount Harmon Road
Earleville,MD 21919
Phone: (410)275-8819
Year Built:1730
Admission Price:Adults $10, Seniors $8, Students $8
Hours: 10-3pm, Thurs - Sun, May - Oct

Plantation House is a three-story, five bay, brick double pile structure dated to 1730. The interior is furnished with American, English, Irish and Scottish antiques of the period. The 200 acre property includes an out plantation kitchen and tobacco prize house.


Need an Image for ID# 888

Rose Hill Manor

1611 N. Market Street
Frederick,MD 21701
Phone: (301)600-1650
Year Built:1790
Admission Price:Adults $5; Seniors/Children $4
Hours: Seasonal April-September M-Sat 11-4; Sun 1-4; Oct & Nov Sat 11-4 & Sun 1-4; All other times by appt

Rose Hill Manor was built in 1790s by John & Ann Grahame. The home was the last home in which Gov. Thomas Johnson, Maryland's First Governor resided. Today it is preserved as part of one of Rose Hill Manor Park and houses a hands-on history museum.

Glen Echo

Clara Barton National Historic Site

5801 Oxford Road
Glen Echo,MD 20812
Phone: (301)320-1410
Year Built:1889
Admission Price:Free
Hours: Daily 10am-4pm

Clara Barton National Historic Site commemorates the life of Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross. The home served as the headquarters and warehouse for the organization. From this house, Miss Barton organized American Red Cross relief efforts for victims of natural disasters and war.


Need an Image for ID# 1131

Miller House Museum

135 W. Washington St.
Hagerstown,MD 21740
Phone: (301)797-8782
Year Built:1825
Admission Price:Adults $8, Under 16 and Over 60 $5, Members Free
Hours: 1-4 p.m. Wed-Fri, 9-4 Sat.

Founded in 1911, the Washington County Historical Society has played a significant role in preserving historic sites, artifacts and archival records for Washington County, Maryland. Located in downtown Hagerstown, the Miller House serves as the home of the historical society, the Jamieson Genealogical Research Library, and the Miller House Museum. The museum gives visitors a taste of life in the 1850s and exhibits showcase important events in Washington County history.


Sotterley Plantation

44300 Sotterley Lane
Hollywood,MD 20636
Phone: (301)373-2280
Year Built:1703
Admission Price:Adults $10, Seniors $8, Children $5
Hours: 10:30am-3pm Tue-Sat, 12-3pm Sun

Older than Mount Vernon, older than Monticello, older than the nation itself, Sotterley Plantation stands majestically on the banks of the Patuxent River. It is the only remaining Tidewater Plantation in Maryland that is open to the public with a full range of visitor activities and educational programs. Sotterley's significant architecture features the early 18th-century Manor House, a rare slave cabin, and a full array of outbuildings set amidst seventy acres of rolling fields, gardens and riverfront.


Montpelier Mansion

9650 Muirkirk Road
Laurel,MD 20708
Phone: (301)377-7817
Year Built:1781
Admission Price:Adults $3, Seniors $2, Children $1
Hours: See their website

A fine example of Georgian architecture, popular in Maryland in the late 1700's, Montpelier Mansion sits on approximately 70 acres of beautiful parkland. Architectural and building construction details, as well as historical research, suggest that the house was constructed between 1781 and 1785. Major Thomas Snowden and his wife Anne, original owners of Montpelier Mansion, welcomed many distinguished guests into their home including George Washington and Abigail Adams.

Princess Anne

Need an Image for ID# 1170

Teackle Mansion

11736 Mansion St.
Princess Anne,MD 21853
Phone: (410)651-2238
Year Built:1819
Admission Price:Adults $10, Students $5, Children under 8 free
Hours: 1-3p Thu, Sat, Sun; Apr to Dec 1

the 10,000 square foot American villa style house exhibits a grandiose plan that included decorative plaster finishes, an indoor bath, steam operated kitchen equipment and a wide range of furnishings.

Riverdale Park

Need an Image for ID# 898

Riversdale House Museum

4811 Riverdale Road
Riverdale Park,MD 20737
Phone: (301)864-0420
Year Built:1801
Admission Price:Adults $3, Seniors $2, Students $1, Free Ages 4 &
Hours: noon-3 pm, Fri & Sun, year-round

Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, was constructed between 1801 and 1807 for Henri Stier, a Flemish aristocrat, and completed by his daughter, Rosalie, and her husband, George Calvert, grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore. Today, this elegant architectural gem has been restored to reflect the lifestyle of the Calverts in Federal America. Rosalie Calvert’s letters, supplemented by other archival records and archaeology, are used to provide modern-day visitors with a better understanding of the period.


Beall-Dawson Historic House Museum

111 West Montgomery Avenue
Rockville,MD 20850
Phone: (301)340-2825
Year Built:1815
Admission Price:Adults $5, Students & Seniors $3
Hours: 12-4pm Wed-Sun

The Beall-Dawson House was built circa 1815 for Upton Beall and his wife and daughters. Beall, from a prominent Georgetown family, was Clerk of the Court for the county, and he wanted a home that would reflect his wealth and status. In 1815 Rockville was a small rural community, despite being the county seat and an important cross-roads town. Beall’s large brick Federal-style home, built overlooking Commerce Lane (now West Montgomery Avenue), was designed to impress both inside and out.

Shady Side

Captain Avery Museum

1418 East West Shady Side Rd.
Shady Side,MD 20764
Phone: (410)867-4486
Year Built:1860
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

The Captain Salem Avery House was built c. 1860 on the Banks of the West River in Shady Side, Maryland. Captain Avery, a Long Island fisherman, came to the area to make his living from the abundant waters of the Chesapeake Bay. He married Lucretia Weedon of Mayo, Maryland, and they lived in the house for thirty years raising a large family.


Hampton National Historic Site

535 Hampton Lane
Towson,MD 21286
Phone: (410)823-1309
Year Built:1783
Admission Price:Free
Hours: See their website

Hampton National Historic Site offers an exceptional, perhaps unmatched, look at a nineteenth century slave estate. Still visible today is the careful design intended to impress visitors. The mansion looks down on the overseer's house, and the overseer's house looks down on the slave quarters, reminding visitors and workers of their place in life. The mansion survives almost unchanged from its completion in 1790. Surrounding the mansion are two original slave quarters, several outbuildings, and large formal gardens.