We try to keep this list of historic house museums for New Jersey current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information.

If you know of a historic house museum not in our list, please submit it.

If you are the director of a museum in our listings and you would like to claim your listing so you are able to maintain your listing yourself, please email us at info@vpa.org and we will set you up.

Reset Filters
Trent House

    William Trent built his country estate north of Philadelphia, in New Jersey, at the Falls of the Delaware River about 1719. It was a large, imposing brick structure, built in the newest fashion. An "allee" of English cherry trees led from the entrance down to the ferry landing. Nearby, there were numerous outbuildings as well as grist, saw and… Read More

    Historic Village at Allaire

      Within the 3000 acre park is an 1800 village that features several houses. Read More

      Bainbridge

        Built in 1766 by Job Stockton, a prosperous tanner and cousin of Richard Stockton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Bainbridge House is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Princeton and one of the area's best preserved examples of mid-Georgian architecture. Read More

        Boxwood Hall

          Built about 1750, Boxwood Hall became the residence of Elias Boudinot, president of the Continental Congress that ratified the Peace Treaty with Great Britain. George Washington visited his friend Boudinot in 1789 on his way to New York for his first inauguration. Read More

          Dey Mansion

            Constructed between 1740-1750 by Dirck Dey, a Dutch-born planter, the mansion is an amalgam of Dutch and English influences, a rich and dramatic composition of country and urban elements that had few mid-18th century counterparts west of the Hudson River. Dey, in all probability, left the completion of the mansion to his son, Theunis. During the Revolution, Theunis commanded… Read More

            Doric House

              The Doric House Museum houses the Research Library and offices of the Hunterdon County Historical Society. It was built in the Greek Revival style in 1845 by Mahlon Fisher, a country carpenter of ability and taste, as his private residence. He also erected several other Flemington residences in the same style. Read More

              Drumthwacket

                Drumthwacket is the stately home that is today the official residence of the Governor of New Jersey. Read More

                Glenmont

                  The site preserves the laboratory of the inventor and his home Glenmont. The 23 room Queen Anne mansion sits on a 15.5 acre estate and contains its original furnishings. Read More

                  Physick House Museum

                    A visit to the Physick Estate today offers a look back at our Victorian past as evidenced by its architecture, decorative arts, customs, and the lives of one particular Cape May family, the Physicks. Read More

                    Fosterfields

                      General Joseph Warren Revere, grandson of Paul Revere, bought the property in the mid-1800s and built the impressive Gothic Revival home, The Willows. Charles Foster purchased the farm in 1881, changing its name to Fosterfields, and it was here that Caroline Foster lived 98 of her 102 years. As she wished, Fosterfields offers an incomparable opportunity to experience our… Read More

                      Arboretum

                        The 127 acre preserve features with formal gardens and naturalized plantings. The Colonial Revival mansion serves as the headquarters for the Morris County Park Commission and is open to the public. Read More

                        Spicer-Leaming House

                          Located in one of the great Victorian destination cities in the U.S., this museum features 20 restored buildings that represent a mid 1800s southern New Jersey village. Read More

                          Steuben House

                            New Bridge served as a battleground, fort, encampment ground, military headquarters, and intelligence-gathering post in every year of the American Revolution. The Steuben House is the only extant building from the 1776 Retreat through Bergen County. For 2 weeks in 1780, the Steuben House was Washington's HQ and it has been the Bergen County Historical Society's HQ since 1939.… Read More

                            Israel Crane House

                              A 1796 Federal home built by prominent Montclair resident Israel Crane with an exterior kitchen and working hearth fireplace. The Nathaniel Crane House, also located at 108 Orange Road, features a 19th century general store, schoolroom, and a small Museum Shop. Read More

                              Kuser Mansion

                                The 17 room mansion built in 1892 for Fred Kuser sits on the restored 22 acre estate. The Kuser family was instrumental in forming the Fox Film Co. (later 20th Century Fox) and the house features a private projection and viewing room. Other rooms are furnished with original and period pieces. Read More

                                Liberty Hall Museum

                                  Liberty Hall Museum at Kean University chronicles more than 200 years of American history. Built in 1772 by New Jersey’s first elected governor and signer of the Constitution, William Livingston, the Victorian-style mansion houses extensive collections of antique furniture, ceramics, textiles, toys and tools owned by seven generations of the Livingston/Kean families. The Firehouse is the latest addition to… Read More

                                  MacCulloch Hall

                                    Macculloch Hall, a Federal-style mansion built by George Macculloch in 1810 and transformed into a museum in 1949 by W. Parsons Todd, features Todd’s impressive antiques collection, changing exhibits, and a collection of works by Thomas Nast. An oasis within walking distance of the business district, the museum’s garden has many original plantings and landscape features, and displays seasonal… Read More

                                    Miller Cory House

                                      The Miller-Cory House Museum, named after the first two families that inhabited it, operates as a early American living history museum. It is fully furnished and includes gardens and several outbuildings such as an outhouse and a cookhouse, the Frazee Building, in which open hearth cooking demonstrations are given. Group tours are offered during the week and programs about… Read More

                                      Morristown National Historical Park

                                        The national park consists of four non-contiguous units: Washington's Headquarters with the Ford Mansion and Headquarters Museum, the Fort Nonsense Unit, the Jockey Hollow Unit, and the New Jersey Brigade Area. The Jockey Hollow Unit includes the Wick house (headquarters of General Arthur St. Clair), five reconstructed soldier huts, and approximately 27 miles of walking trails. Read More

                                        Ballantine Mansion

                                          Built in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family, this brick and limestone mansion originally had 27 rooms, including eight bedrooms and three bathrooms. Part of The Newark Museum since 1937, the house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. Read More

                                          Rockingham

                                            The restored house was Washington's headquarters Aug-Nov 1783 while the Continental Congress was in session. He probably slept here. The house is furnished in period. Read More

                                            Smithville Mansion

                                              Docents tell of the rise and fall of H.B. Smith, inventor and entrepreneur, his extraordinary accomplishments clouded by personal controversy. In H.B. Smith's old schoolhouse Smithville History Exhibit, 20 photo/narrative panels depict major aspects of the mill village and its colorful founder. Tourists visit Smith's "casino" annex, including card room, billiard room and bowling alley, then passes the site… Read More

                                              Ringwood Manor

                                                Martin J. Ryerson purchased the historic ironworks and began building the present Manor House in 1807 while still operating the iron mines and forges on the property. New York's Peter Cooper, a remarkable inventor and industrialist and his young son-in-law, Abram S. Hewitt, purchased Ringwood in 1854. Read More

                                                Wallace House

                                                  The parsonage was built in 1751 and first occupied by Reverend John Frelinghuysen, who came from Amsterdam to serve three congregations of the Dutch Reform church in the upper Raritan Valley. The second occupant of the Parsonage, the Reverend Jacob Hardenbergh, founded Queens College in 1766 while residing in the house. Read More

                                                  Stickley Museum

                                                    This 30-acre National Historic Landmark is the centerpiece of Gustav Stickley’s early 20th century country estate. Stickley was a major figure in the American Arts and Crafts movement who combined the roles of designer, manufacturer, architect, publisher, philosopher, and social critic. His family home, the Log House, is run as a historic house museum, where visitors are welcomed for… Read More

                                                    Clarke House

                                                      The Georgian style home was built about 1770 by Thomas Clarke, a Quaker farmer. Read More

                                                      Eden Woolley House

                                                        In 2001, the Mayor and the Township Council moved to save the historic Eden Woolley House on the comer of Deal Road and Route 35. The developer of the Route 35 property agreed to move the Woolley House to the Haupt/Terner tract that is the site of the Public Library on Deal Road. The Council asked the Museum to… Read More