We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Oregon current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Oregon that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.


Monteith House Museum

518 Second Ave SW
Albany,OR 97321
Phone: (541)928-0911
Year Built:1849
Admission Price:$3 suggested donation
Hours: Noon - 4pm Wed - Sat, Jun - Sep

The 1849 Monteith House was the first building built in Albany Oregon. It was built by Thomas and Walter Monteith. It was restored in 1978 and became a museum in 1983. It contains many of the items that Thomas and Cristine purchased on their honeymoon trip in 1855.


Flavel House Museum

441 Eighth St.
Phone: (503)325-2203
Year Built:1884
Admission Price:Adults $6, Seniors/Students $5, Youth $2
Hours: 10am-5pm Daily, May thru Sept, 11am-4pm Oct thru Apr

As one of the best preserved examples of Queen Anne architecture in the Northwest, the Flavel House survives today as a landmark of local and national significance. The house was built in 1884-85, for Captain George Flavel and his family. The Captain, who made his fortune through his occupation as a river bar pilot and through real estate investments, built the Flavel House as his retirement home at the age of 62. The Flavel House has been restored to accurately portray the elegance of the Victorian period and the history of the Flavel family.


The Clatskanie Castle

620 SW Tichenor St.
Clatskanie,OR 97016
Phone: (503)728-3608
Year Built:1898
Admission Price:$6
Hours: Call for tour appointments

The Flippin House National Historic Site locally and affectionately known as The Castle is build high on a hill above the town of Clatskanie on Highway 30 just 60 miles from Portland and 35 miles from Astoria. The original owners of The Castle were Thomas and Florence Flippin who established the West Oregon Lumber mill where Tom began saving the best lumber for the grand house he was determined to build in Clatskanie.

Columbia City

Caples House Museum

1925 First Street
Columbia City,OR 97018
Phone: (503)397-5390
Year Built:1870
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See

An early pioneer, Dr. Charles Green Caples migrated across the Oregon Trail as a boy. After his marriage to Lucinda McBride, he studied medicine in Portland and passed the examination by the Board of Physicians for his degree. In 1870 he constructed his two story home on the same spot where his father Joseph Caples built his log cabin in 1846. The family lived on this land until 1959, when Dell Caples Houghton, a daughter of Charles and Lucinda Caples and a member of Mount St. Helens Chapter, Oregon State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, willed the house and property to the OSSDAR as a museum.


Shelton McMurphey Johnson House

303 Willamette Street
Eugene,OR 97401
Phone: (541)484-0808
Year Built:1888
Admission Price:Adults $6, Children $3
Hours: 10am-1pm, Tue thru Fri, 1-4pm Sat-Sun

The history of the Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson House, or the “Castle on the Hill,” begins with Thomas Winthrop Shelton and his wife, Adah. The Sheltons made the move from Salem to Eugene with their daughter, Alberta, in 1873. After buying 320 acres in downtown Eugene, including Skinner’s Butte, from pioneer Mary Skinner, Dr. Shelton hired architect Walter Pugh to design a home to sit on the slope of the butte overlooking downtown and the train station. Nels Roney served as the builder. The home was completed in 1887; however, an aggrieved workman set fire to the house (only admitting to the crime once on his deathbed decades later) and the home had to be rebuilt. The building was completed in 1888, for a total cost of $8,000.

Fort Rock

Fort Rock Valley Historical Homestead Museum

64696 Fort Rock Road
Fort Rock,OR 97735
Phone: (541)576-2251
Year Built:
Admission Price:Call for info
Hours: See their website

A group of eastern Oregon homestead homes, church, and school buildings assembled in a village setting, with furnishing from that era.

Grants Pass

Need an Image for ID# 992

Schmidt House Museum

508 SW 5th Street
Grants Pass,OR 97526
Phone: (541)479-7827
Year Built:1901
Admission Price:$10 for 1st person, $5 for each addition person
Hours: 10am-4pm, Tue thru Fri

Very few changes have been made to the Schmidt House since 1910, and it was home to Anna and Flora until they graciously donated the house to the Josephine County Historical Society in 1978. Today, the rooms contain many original furnishings spanning the lifetimes of Anna and Flora. Guided tours are given to visitors during which the guide relates the growth of the family to the growth of the community and interprets the growth through historical themes of colonization such as homesteading, farming, business, gold mining, transportation and homemaking.


Beekman House

452 E. California Street
Jacksonville,OR 97530
Phone: ()-
Year Built:1870
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: Contact Museum

Cornelius C. Beekman built this 1 1/2 story Gothic Revival style home for his wife and two children between 1870 and 1876. When the family moved in, Beekman was already well established in his downtown bank where he bought, sold, and shipped gold; served as a Wells Fargo Express agent; sold school supplies; and dealt in real estate.

Lake Oswego

Need an Image for ID# 1157

Lake Oswego Preservation Society History Center &

40 Wilbur Street
Lake Oswego,OR 97034
Phone: (503)481-2479
Year Built:1880
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 1-4 Tuesday, Thursday, and the first Saturday of each month

The Lake Oswego Preservation Society's History Center & Museum is located in the last remaining Iron Company Worker's Cottage in Lake Oswego. In 1867 the first iron was made on the Pacific coast. The blast furnace stack can be seen nearby as well as other sites on the Oswego Iron Heritage Trail. The cottage is the oldest house in the City that's open to the public. This vernacular style, 700-square foot building may house the smallest museum in Oregon.

Oswego Heritage House

398 10th
Lake Oswego,OR 97034
Phone: (503)635-6373
Year Built:1928
Admission Price:free
Hours: 10am-3pm, Mon-Wed

The Murphy Company Building is a good example of the Colonial Revival style. Completed in c. 1920, the building displays many of the most defining characteristics of the style in its massing, bilateral symmetrical façade, its temple like, full story pedimented portico with columns and decorative pilasters, multi-light windows with shutters, and its paired multi-light front doors


Need an Image for ID# 1147

Dibble House Complex

620 S Molalla Ave
Molalla,OR 97038
Phone: (503)765-6432
Year Built:1856
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 1-4pm, Fri-Sat, May-Nov.; in the off-season by appointment

The Molalla Area Historical Society maintains several structures on one site. The Dibble House is the oldest pioneer house in the area and one of the region's few remaining saltbox houses, which were uncommon in Oregon. It was constructed of fir and cedar in 1856, four years after Horace and Julia Ann Sturges Dibble had crossed on the Oregon Trail. It is fully furnished with period furniture and artifacts. The neighboring Vonder Ahe House was built in 1869 and houses a number of period artifacts and the paper media archives of the Society. Before being moved to Molalla to save it from demolition, it had been the oldest house in the nearby community of Carus, Oregon, where it had once also served as a post office.


The Hoover-Minthorn House Museum

115 S. River St.
Newberg,OR 97132
Phone: (503)538-6629
Year Built:1881
Admission Price:Adults $3, Seniors/Students $2
Hours: See their website

The Hoover-Minthorn House Museum was built in 1881, by Jesse Edwards, the Quaker founder of Newberg. It is the oldest standing home in the original Newberg township. In 1885, Dr. Henry John Minthorn, uncle and foster-father of Herbert Hoover, and his family moved to the house. Dr. Minthorn became the first superintendent of Friends Pacific Academy (forerunner of today's George Fox University) and worked as a physician in rural Newberg.


Burrows House Museum

545 SW 9th St.
Newport,OR 97365
Phone: (541)265-7509
Year Built:1895
Admission Price:Donation
Hours: 11am-4pm Thu-Sun

Built in 1895 as a home for newlyweds Susan and John Burrows, both in their 60s. The house was originally located at Alder and the Coast Highway. At the time, it was isolated and surrounded by dense shore pine. Its location between the Bayfront and Nye Beach earned it the nickname "The Half-Way House."

Oregon City

Stevens-Crawford Heritage House

603 Sixth St
Oregon City,OR 97045
Phone: (503)655-2866
Year Built:1908
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 12-4pm Thu-Sat

The 1908 home features exhibits of original furnishings, dresses, dolls, and china.

The McLoughlin House

713 Center St.
Oregon City,OR 97045
Phone: (503)656-5146
Year Built:1846
Admission Price:Free
Hours: 10am-4pm Fri-Sat, mid Apr to late Nov

The McLoughlin House stands today as a reminder of the great contribution Dr. John McLoughlin made to the settlement of the Oregon Country. In 1909, it was threatened with demolition, but a group of concerned local citizens formed the McLoughlin Memorial Association to preserve and protect the house and the legacy of Dr. McLoughlin. They moved the house from its original location by the river up to its present location atop the bluff, restored it, and turned the house into a museum.


Pittock Mansion

3229 NW Pittock Drive
Portland,OR 97210
Phone: (503)823-3623
Year Built:1914
Admission Price:Adults $9.50, Seniors $8.50, Youth $6.50
Hours: See their website

The mansion was completed in 1914, replete with stunningly progressive features including a central vacuum system, intercoms, and indirect lighting. The house also creatively incorporated Turkish, English, and French designs. In keeping with their loyalty to their home state, the Pittocks hired Oregon craftsmen and artisans, and used Northwest materials to build the house. The final estate included the mansion, a three-car garage, a greenhouse, and the Italianate gate lodge servants’ residence, all situated on 46 acres of land almost 1,000 feet above downtown Portland.

Zimmerman House

17111 Northeast Sandy Blvd
Portland,OR 97230
Phone: (503)261-8078
Year Built:1874
Admission Price:Adults $3.00, Childen 12 and under free
Hours: 12n-3p, Sat., July -August, 10a-3p, Sept.-June

Queen Ann Victorian farm house,built in 1874. One of few museums to hold 3 generations of family posessions and furnishings. A heritage garden surrounds the home. Jacob and Lena Zimmerman were German immigrants, traveling over the Oregon Trail in 1851. One of 5 founding pioneer families of Fairview Oregon.


Bush House Museum

600 Mis­sion St. SE
Salem,OR 97302
Phone: (503)581-2228
Year Built:1878
Admission Price:See their website
Hours: See their website

Located in Bush’s Pasture Park, the Bush House Museum offers tours to the public and preserves and interprets the heritage of the Bush House and Bush’s Pasture Park to illuminate Oregon history and culture associated with the lives and legacy of Salem’s Bush Family. Featuring many iconic 19th century furnishings, this technologically advanced home also contains the original light fixtures, central heating vents and plumbing fixtures.

Historic Deepwood Estate

1116 Mission Street SE
Salem,OR 97302
Phone: (503)363-1825
Year Built:1894
Admission Price:Adults $4. Seniors/Students $3, Children $2
Hours: Tours on the hour 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, Wed-Sun, May-Sept; 11:00 am - 3:00 pm, Wed,Thur,Sat, Oct-Apr

Historic Deepwood Estate is an 1894 Queen Anne Victorian Home situated on approximately 4 acres of manicured gardens and nature trails set in the heart of Salem near its downtown core. The home was placed on the National Register of Historic Homes in 1973. The museum is operated by the Friends of Deepwood, a non-profit organization created to disseminate information about the home and document life in Victorian times.

Sauvie Island

James F. Bybee House and Howell Territorial Park

Howell Park Road, off NW Sauvi
Sauvie Island,OR 
Phone: (503)797-1850
Year Built:1850
Admission Price:Call for info
Hours: Call for info

The Bybee-Howell House, a pioneer home, re-creates life on Sauvie Island from 1855-85. The grounds are suitably historic, and include an herb garden, a collection of old roses, a small agricultural museum, and the Pioneer Orchard, an extensive collection of fruit varieties grown by pioneers. The orchard has more than 115 different varieties of apples, and smaller collections of pears, plums, cherries, and other fruit.


Need an Image for ID# 1208

Sherwood Heritage Center

22552 Park Street
Sherwood,OR 97140
Phone: (503)625-1236
Year Built:
Admission Price: Contact Museum
Hours: 1-4pm, Wednesday and Saturdays

The Sherwood Heritage Center is dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history of Sherwood and Oregon. They offer monthly workshops and exhibits that allow visitors to understand Oregon history in an educational format.