We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Pennsylvania current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information.

If you know of a historic house museum not in our list, please submit it.

If you are the director of a museum in our listings and you would like to claim your listing so you are able to maintain your listing yourself, please email us at info@vpa.org and we will set you up.

Reset Filters
Herr House

    The 1719 Herr House is the oldest building in Lancaster County and the oldest Mennonite meetinghouse in the Americas. It was the home of the Christian Herr family, some of the first Mennonite immigrants to Lancaster County, PA. Read More

    Baker Mansion

      Baker Mansion was originally home to ironmaster Elias Baker and his family. Baker purchased the nearby Alleghany Furnace in 1836 in partnership with his cousin Roland Diller. Elias brought his wife, Hetty, and their two sons, David Woods and Sylvester, from Lancaster County to what was described as a “tolerable good mansion house” near the furnace. Read More

      Betsy Ross House

        The 1937 Philadelphia Guide noted that, after the current Betsy Ross House was selected as the Flag House, the adjacent building where Ross may have indeed lived "was torn down to lessen the hazards of fire, perhaps adding a touch of irony to what may well have been an error in research." Although the house is one of the… Read More

        Cairnwood

          Designed by the renowned architectural firm of Carrére and Hastings to be a home for the industrialist John Pitcairn and his young family, Cairnwood is a National Historic Landmark that evokes the grandeur of the Gilded Age. Read More

          Caleb Pusey House

            Built in 1683 and occupied by Caleb Pusey, this is the only building still standing which can claim documented association with the Proprietor, William Penn, and which he is known to have visited on several occasions. This unique English Vernacular house stands beside Race Street, the small road once paralleling the millrace that brought water from Chester Creek to… Read More

            Boal Museum

              An intriguing glimpse into our American identity awaits travelers in the picturesque village of Boalsburg, Pennsylvania. Eight generations of the Boal family have lived the story of America, and even have a tangible family connection with Christopher Columbus. Read More

              Weiser Home

                The story of Conrad Weiser and the historic site is told through an exhibit which is located in three different buildings at the Conrad Weiser Homestead. Read More

                Daniel Boone Homestead

                  The Daniel Boone Homestead (DBH) is a historical site in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania that tells the story of Daniel Boone’s youth in Pennsylvania’s Oley Valley and illuminates the daily lives of the region’s 18th-century settlers through the eyes of the Boone, Maugridge and DeTurk families who occupied the site. Read More

                  David Wills House

                    The David Wills House features five museum galleries and two recreated rooms, the David Wills Law Office and the Lincoln Bedroom. The museum will guide you through the days, weeks and months after the battle of Gettysburg. It illustrates President Lincoln’s historic visit to the devastated town, the immortal words of the Gettysburg Address and the legacy of hope… Read More

                    Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion

                      This house is Phialdelphia's only authentically restored Victorian house museum and garden. The interior is interpreted to reflect the house's history during the 1860's and 1870's. Members have access to a library about Victorian topics. Victorian theater productions take place at the mansion annually. Read More

                      Egbert-Mullins-Koos House

                        The Egbert-Mullins-Koos House was built between 1859 and 1860 by Simon Ullman, a Franklin merchant. In the first decade, the property changed hands, but indications are that the Ullman family continued to make the resident their home. In 1869, Lydia S. Ullman sold the property to Eliza Egbert and her husband, Dr. A. G. Egbert. Dr. Egbert was an… Read More

                        Eisenhower National Historic Side

                          The 231 acre farm includes the carefully preserved house of President Eisenhower. Read More

                          Fallingwater

                          Fallingwater

                          0.0 $$$$

                            Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous house, designed in 1935 for Edgar Kaufmann. The house is situated over a waterfall on Bear Run. Read More

                            Fonthill

                            Fonthill Castle

                            0.0 $$$$

                              Built between 1908-1912, Fonthill was the home of Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930). Archaeologist, anthropologist, ceramist, scholar and antiquarian, Mercer built Fonthill both as his home and as a showplace for his collection of tiles and prints. The first of three Mercer buildings in Doylestown, Fonthill served as a showplace for Mercer’s famed Moravian tiles that were produced during the… Read More

                              Glencairn

                                Glencairn, built between 1928 and 1939, was the home of the Raymond and Mildred Pitcairn family for forty years. Pitcairn designed Glencairn as a Romanesque-style “castle” for his outstanding collection of medieval objects, purchased as inspirational models for the artists working on Bryn Athyn Cathedral. Read More

                                Grundy Museum

                                  When the Grundy family purchased this home in 1884, they set about turning the existing structure into a fashionable, modern house. The home was remodeled in the Queen-Anne-style that combined modern conveniences and technological innovations of the day with a nostalgic styling that recalled an earlier, less industrial time. The home's location along the banks of the scenic Delaware… Read More

                                  Harrington House

                                  Harriton House

                                  0.0 $$$$

                                    Charles Thomson, the first and only Secretary to the Continental and Confederation Congresses, was Harriton's most famous occupant. Yet the story of this house and estate encompasses more than 300 years, beginning with the settlement of "Merion" by Welsh Quakers. Today, the restored 1704 house and large park are open to the public as an historical and cultural resource… Read More

                                    Groundie House

                                      Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites proudly preserves 20 historic sites, working tirelessly to restore, educate, and learn all we can about these beautiful buildings and their storied pasts Read More

                                      Jennie Wade House

                                        The Jennie Wade house was actually the home of Jennie's sister, Georgia McClellan. The dwelling lived through the Battle of Gettysburg and witnessed the tragic death of Gettysburg civilian Jennie Wade, as she was preparing bread for the Union soldiers. This brick house was not a good spot to be in during the fighting as it was between both… Read More

                                        Priestly House

                                          When Joseph Priestley (1733-1804) is remembered today, it’s usually for his 1774 discovery, in England, of oxygen. Few know he was a noted theologian, political progressive, and prolific author whose scientific contributions include the development of the modern timeline, the carbonation process, the identification of carbon monoxide and other gases, early experiments in electricity and an early understanding of… Read More

                                          Dennison House

                                            In 1790, Nathan Denison built his house on the western bank of Abrams Creek in then Kingston Township (now Forty Fort). He lived here until his death in 1809. Although typical of the homes in Connecticut, it was built in a style unusual to Pennsylvania. As visitors can see, the rooms in this type of New England house are… Read More

                                            Nemacolin Castle

                                              Originally built in 1790, the house was expanded and remodeled several times until it reached its current Victorian style. Read More

                                              Newlin Grist Mill

                                                In addition to the grist mill, there is the miller’s house, dating from 1739 and furnished in period. Read More

                                                Old Economy

                                                  Old Economy Village interprets the history of the Harmony Society, a highly successful 19th century religious communal society, and preserves and interprets the unique material culture of the Society during its period of residence in Beaver County, Pennsylvania for citizens of and visitors to the Commonwealth. Read More

                                                  Preservation Trust

                                                    Four early stone houses set on the Schuylkill River, the oldest structure in Berks County (Mouns Jones, ca. 1716), the George Douglass Mansion (ca. 1763, unrestored), the modest Bridge Keeper's House and the restored White Horse Tavern, ca. 1727/1762. Read More

                                                    Pearl S. Buck House

                                                      Famous writer, Pearl S. Buck wrote daily in her Bucks County farmhouse in the suburbs of Philadelphia. This literary tourist site attracts writers, fans of Pearl Buck books and visitors who want to discover the legacy of a Pulitzer-prize winning writer, advocate and humanitarian. The national historic landmark home is open for guided tours which feature her Nobel and… Read More

                                                      Pennypacker

                                                        This 170-acre Colonial Revival home of Pennsylvania Governor Samuel W. Pennypacker includes an exceptional original collection of furnishings and family memorabilia. Guided tours, seasonal events, education programs and changing exhibits are offered year-round. FREE tours & events. Read More

                                                        Wentz House

                                                          The Peter Wentz Farmstead was established in 1744 by Peter and Rosanna Wentz. By 1758 they had completed the large Georgian style stone house with many architectural features that reflect their German heritage and social status. Read More

                                                          Pittock Mansion

                                                            The mansion was completed in 1914, replete with stunningly progressive features including a central vacuum system, intercoms, and indirect lighting. The house also creatively incorporated Turkish, English, and French designs. In keeping with their loyalty to their home state, the Pittocks hired Oregon craftsmen and artisans, and used Northwest materials to build the house. The final estate included the… Read More

                                                            Massey House

                                                              The Thomas Massey House is a monument to the American dream – the home of an indentured servant who became a landowner, and like the American dream the house has endured over 300 years. The Thomas Massey House is one of the oldest English Quaker homes in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It is on the National Register of Historical… Read More

                                                              Woodville

                                                                Woodville is the oldest house in Allegheny County that is open for tours. Built by John Neville in 1775, Woodville is interpreted to the period of 1780-1820 and preserves and interprets the Federal period of Pittburgh's history. Read More

                                                                Wrights Ferry Mansion

                                                                  Built in 1738, Wright’s Ferry Mansion reflects the sophisticated tastes and panoply of interests of its original owner, Susanna Wright. A dynamic force in establishing colonial self-sufficiency, she encouraged industry, especially the production of silk and linen; implanted her Quaker beliefs; and stimulated a literary current through her poetry and correspondence. Read More