We try to keep this list of historic house museums for Washington current, but it is best to check directly with the museums for their hours and other information. If you know of a historic house museum in Washington that should be listed here, please use our submission form to let us know about it.
In 1907 Samuel Hill (1857–1931), a wealthy entrepreneur bought 6,000 acres of land overlooking the Columbia River with the intention of establishing a Quaker agricultural community. He chose the bluff which Maryhill Museum now occupies as the site for his own home, and in 1914 construction of his poured concrete mansion began.
Open daily 9-5 Mar 15 to Nov 15 • 35 Maryhill Museum Drive • (509) 773-3733
Situated on nearly two acres of parkland, The Polson lies along the banks of the historic Hoquiam River. Extensive gardens, landscaping, and outdoor machinery displays complement the lovely mansion.
See their web site for hours • 1611 Riverside Avenue • (360) 533-5862
The Bigelow House Museum is the oldest residence in Olympia, Washington, and one of the oldest still standing in the Pacific Northwest. It was built circa 1860 by pioneer lawyer Daniel R. Bigelow and his schoolteacher wife Ann Elizabeth White Bigelow. Surrounded by more than an acre of the family’s original land claim, the house is charming example of the Carpenter Gothic style popular in rural America during the mid-1800s.
Open Sun 1-3 Memorial Day through Labor Day, year round by appt. • 918 Glass Avenue NE • (360) 753-1215
The elegant Lord House, located in the historic South Capitol Neighborhood, is one of Olympia’s few genuine mansions. It was built in 1923 for banker Clarence J. Lord and his wife, Elizabeth. Lord was a powerful figure in the history of Washington banking – a man influential enough, it was said, to hand pick the State Treasurer. He served as Olympia’s mayor in 1902-03 and was a staunch opponent of any attempt to move the state capital.
Open Tue-Sun 10-4 • 211 21st Avenue SW • (360) 753-2580
Occupied only by the Rothschild family, the last surviving member, Eugene, donated the house to the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. It opened to the public as a historic site in 1962, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Open Mon-Sat 11-4, Sun 1-4, May-Sep • Address • (360) 385-1003
A pioneer and leading citizen of Puyallup; first mayor, one-time Hop King, author…Ezra Meeker became the self-appointed Champion of the Oregon Trail in 1906, when at the age of 76, accompanied by two oxen, a wagon, a driver and a dog, he made his way from his front yard to Washington D.C., by way of New York City. His purpose was to preserve and re-mark the Oregon Trail, which was being obliterated by civilization. He thought he would make this trip once before he died, but this remarkable man lived to 98, and made this journey by ox team once more, then by automobile in 1915, and by airplane in 1924. The fact that today you can see actual traces of the Oregon Trail is due almost entirely to Ezra Meeker.
See their web site for hours • 312 Spring St. • (253) 848-1770
The Log House Museum is located in a renovated turn-of-the-century log structure which once served as a carriage house, or stable, to the Fir Lodge. The Fir Lodge was one of the first year-round homes built on Alki Beach and was owned by prominent Seattleites, William and Gladys Bernard.
Open Thu 12-6, Sat-Sun 12-3 • 3003 61st Avenue SW • (206) 938-5293
Designed by Kirtland Cutter (he also designed the Conrad Mansion in Kalispell, Montana) in 1898, this Tudor Revival mansion features many Gothic, Moorish, Arts & Crafts details in it’s interior, as well as a somewhat out of place French Rococco parlour. Situated in a historic neighborhood, next to the Cheney Cowles Museum, the house is included in the museum admission.
Open Tue-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5, Wed 10-9pm • 2316 West First Avenue • (509) 456-3931
The Art Center, housed in the historic D.C. Corbin House, is located in Pioneer Park and is situated adjacent to the Corbin and Moore-Turner Heritage Gardens.
Open Mon-Thu 9-4 • 507 West Seventh Ave • (509) 625-6677
Original 1855 “Factor’s House” is a very early Washington home, in the Greek Revival style. Now restored to its original appearance reflecting the family living there in the 1850s.
Open daily 11-5 • 5400 N. Pearl St. #11 • (253) 591-5339
The Crosby House dates from ca. 1860 and was built by Nathaniel Crosby III. Nathaniel III had married Cordelia Jane Smith in August 1860. Miss Smith was the daughter of Jacob and Priscilla Smith who lived in the Lacey area.
Open Thu, Fri and Sun, 1-4 • Deschutes Way
The Henderson House is significant for its associations with the development of Tumwater and the Olympia Brewery. The house is one of the few remnants of what was the downtown of early Tumwater. It is also significant because of its simplified Queen Anne architectural design which was according to tradition one of the most modern of the period. The uses of the house over the years reflect the changing economic conditions in Tumwater and environs.
Hours • 602 Deschutes Way • (360) 754-4217