Reset Filters
Trent House

    William Trent built his country estate north of Philadelphia, in New Jersey, at the Falls of the Delaware River about 1719. It was a large, imposing brick structure, built in the newest fashion. An "allee" of English cherry trees led from the entrance down to the ferry landing. Nearby, there were numerous outbuildings as well as grist, saw and… Read More

    Seay Mansion

      Governor Seay served as second Territorial Governor of Oklahoma from 1892 to 1893, built the three-story mansion named "Horizon Hill"" for approximately $11 Read More

      Abigail Adams Birthplace

        The birthplace of Abigail Smith Adams was built in 1685 for the Reverend Samuel Torrey, minister of The First Church in Weymouth. The original location was at the corner of North and East Streets, three hundred feet to the southeast of its present location. Read More

        Lincoln Birthplace Unit

          The Park focuses on Lincoln's life in Kentucky. The Birthplace Unit demonstrates Lincoln's humble beginnings with a symbolic birth cabin enshrined within a neo-classic Memorial Building. The Boyhood Home Unit at Knob Creek Farm was home to Lincoln during his formative years. Events in Kentucky helped mold a young boy into the man who became the nation's sixteenth President. Read More

          Adaland

          Adaland

          0.0

            This stately brick mansion was built in 1870 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The land was settled in 1807 by the Modisett family. The historic barn was built in 1850 by Uriah Modisett. Adaland is located near several Civil War sites. Read More

            Adams Birthplace

              Adams National Historical Park was the home of two American presidents and subsequent generations of their descendants from 1720 to 1927. The family's experience represented, shaped, and mirrored significant events in the social, cultural, political, and intellectual history of the nation. Read More

              Adamson House

                This classic Malibu home was built in 1930 for Rhoda Rindge Adamson and her husband, Merritt Huntley Adamson. The house shares its location with one of the most beautiful beaches in Southern California. Read More

                Adena Gardens

                  Adena was the 2000-acre estate of Thomas Worthington (1773-1827), sixth governor of Ohio and one of the state's first United States Senators. The mansion house, completed in 1806-1807, has been restored to look much as it did when the Worthington family lived there, including many original Worthington family furnishings. Read More

                  Adobe de Palomares

                    Built in 1855 and restored in 1939, the Adobe de Palomares was the 13-room home of Don Ygnacio Palomares and his wife Dona Concepcion Lopez de Palomares. It is listed as a California Historical Landmark (Marker No. 372) and is also registered with the National Register of Historic Places (No. 71000156). Read More

                    Adsmore

                      The former residence of the Smith-Garret families, the 1850s mansion is decorated with various furnishings through the year. Read More

                      Ashcroft

                        For hundreds of years, Agecroft Hall was the distinguished home of England's Langley and Dauntesey families. At the end of the 19th century, however, Agecroft fell into disrepair, and in 1925 it was sold at auction. Hearing of this tremendous opportunity, Richmonder Thomas C. Williams, Jr. purchased the structure, and had it dismantled, crated, and shipped across the Atlantic,… Read More

                        Ainsley House

                        Ainsley House

                        0.0 $$$$

                          The Ainsley House - Beautifully restored in an enchanting park-like setting, the English Tudor style architecture of the Ainsley House transports the visitor to the bygone era of the 1920s. Built in 1925 as the home for Campbell canning pioneer J.C. Ainsley and his wife Alcinda, the home was moved to its present location in 1990. The exquisitely restored… Read More

                          Alamance County Historical Museum

                            Enjoy the gracious American country home built by Michael Holt III in 1790, enlarged in 1800, and again in 1875 by his grandson L. Banks Holt. This comfortable setting, with many original furnishings, provides a relaxed atmosphere enjoyed by hundreds of visitors each year. Read More

                            Alden House

                              Some interesting features of this 1653 building are the powdered clam and oyster shell ceiling in the "great" room, the cambered panels in the "best" room and the gunstock beams found in the chambers. Read More

                              Alex Haley House & Museum

                                Originally known as the Palmer House, this 10-room, turn-of-the-century, bungalow home was built in 1919 by Will E. Palmer, the maternal grandfather of Alex Haley (1921-92). From 1921 to 1929, and during some subsequent summers, Haley lived here with his grandparents. Read More

                                Faribault House

                                  The Alexander Faribault House was built in the Greek Revival style in 1853 for a cost of $4000.00. The Faribault family lived in the house for a few years, moving a few years later to a large brick mansion on the bluffs overlooking the Straight River. The house was used as a civic center and as a private home.… Read More

                                  Ramsey House

                                    Explore the unexpected at the Alexander Ramsey House, a Victorian-era home filled with thousands of original family items and furnishings. Through special events and programming visitors can immerse themselves in life from the 1870s. The home was built by Alexander Ramsey, Minnesota's first territorial governor. Read More

                                    Alice Austen House

                                      The Alice Austen House Museum on Staten Island recalls the world of an exceptional woman, photographer Alice Austen. Austen's quaint, Victorian cottage-style home, with a magnificent view of New York Harbor, displays prints from the large glass negative collection of her work that depict turn-of-the-century American life. Read More

                                      Historic Village at Allaire

                                        Within the 3000 acre park is an 1800 village that features several houses. Read More

                                        Brazell House

                                          The Altama Museum of Art & History is housed in the 1911 Brazell House, designed and built for the Crawford W. Brazell family by noted architect-builder Ivey Crutchfield. Large columns, multi-hipped rooflines and grand porches define the exterior of the neoclassical home. Read More

                                          Amasa Day House

                                            The house is furnished largely with objects owned by members of the Day family, including toys and locally produced ceramics and silver, and still features the original floor and stair stenciling applied to mimic carpeting. Also on display are a selection of photographs from among the thousands taken by pioneering art photographer Dr. Amasa Day Chaffee between 1890 and… Read More

                                            Amelia Earhart Birthplace

                                              The wood-frame, Gothic Revival cottage is perched high on the west bank of theMissouri River. In 1873, Amelia's grandfather Judge Alfred Otis and grandmother Amelia Harres Otis added a brick Italianate addition to the rear of the home. Read More

                                              Ladd-Gillman House

                                                The American Independence Museum's property includes the expansive Ladd-Gilman House (c. 1721), and the stately Folsom Tavern (c. 1775). Read More

                                                Botto House

                                                  The 1908 Botto House was the home of an Italian immigrant weaver and features period rooms and changing exhibits that illustrate the labor movement in the United States. Read More

                                                  Ames-Florida-Stork House

                                                    Located along the banks of the Crow River inRockford, MN, the Rockford Area Historical Society was formed in 1986 to collect, preserve and interpret Rockford's dynamic history. The historical society also manages the Ames-Florida-Stork House, a historic house museum listed on the National Register of Historic Places Read More

                                                    Amherst History Museum

                                                      Housed in the circa 1750 Strong House, the Amherst History Museum offers guided tours detailing the vibrant history of the Town of Amherst and the residents who have lived in the Strong House. Read More

                                                      Amoureux House

                                                        Built in 1785, it is one of the oldest Creole houses in existence. Silver, china, glass, antique dolls and toys are displayed. Read More

                                                        Amstel House

                                                          Among New Castle’s few surviving early colonial buildings is the elegant brick, early Georgian mansion, the Amstel House. Built in the 1730s by the town’s wealthiest landowner, Dr. John Finney, the house is graced with original woodwork, fine architectural details and open hearth. Its early fanlight and central hallway were among the first uses of these features in the… Read More

                                                          Andalusia Farms

                                                            Andalusia was the home of American author Flannery O'Connor from 1951 until her death from lupus in 1964. This family farm was where O'Connor was living when she completed her two novels and two collections of short stories. Visitors to the farm can tour the main house and see several outbuildings. Most of the furniture and furnishings are original… Read More

                                                            Low House

                                                              In 1847 the wealthy cotton factor Andrew Low chose John Norris to design a house on the lot for his young family. Norris was an architect to whom the city's leading citizens turned for the design of their residences and business establishments. Along with the architects William Jay and Charles B. Cluskey, John Norris formed a trio which left… Read More

                                                              Anheuser House

                                                                The home was built in 1867, sits at the south end of the town by the Mississippi River at Water's Point. The Anheuser family bought the estate in 1916 and used it as a summerhouse until 1945 when Mabel-Ruth and her husband, the late Frederick Straub Anheuser, moved there and named it Fredmar Farms. Read More

                                                                Ansel B. Cook House

                                                                  The Ansel B. Cook House was built by its namesake on the site of the first permanent dwelling in Libertyville. In his will, Cook deeded his home to be used as a library. After a facade reconstruction, Cook Memorial Library opened in 1921. In 1968, following construction of the present Cook Memorial Library, the Cook mansion became the headquarters… Read More

                                                                  Arbor Lodge

                                                                    This beautiful estate in Nebraska City was home to J. Sterling Morton, founder of Arbor Day. From its beginning in 1855 as a four-room frame house, the magnificent mansion grew to 52 rooms through several remodelings. Authentic furnishings grace the rooms, and displays capture the life and times of this exceptional man. Read More

                                                                    Ardenwood

                                                                      A visit to Ardenwood is a journey back to the time of the Patterson Ranch - a prosperous, 19th-century country estate including a beautiful mansion and its elaborate Victorian Gardens. Today the Historic Farm exhibits agricultural practices from the 1870s to the present, demonstrating the transition from horse-powered to horsepower. Read More

                                                                      Arlington

                                                                        Arlington, located on six acres in the heart of Old Elyton, is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture dating from the 1840s. The house was built by Judge William S. Mudd, one of the ten founders of Birmingham. The house is furnished with a fine collection of 19th century decorative arts and is a center for historical, cultural,and… Read More

                                                                        Arlington House

                                                                          Arlington House is the nation's memorial to Robert E. Lee. It honors him for specific reasons, including his role in promoting peace and reunion after the Civil War. In a larger sense it exists as a place of study and contemplation of the meaning of some of the most difficult aspects of American history: military service; sacrifice; citizenship; duty;… Read More

                                                                          Bingham House

                                                                            The site preserves a town that was founded in 1829 and includes the George C. Bingham House and the Dr. Matthew Hall House. Read More

                                                                            Arrowhead

                                                                            Arrowhead

                                                                            0.0

                                                                              In 1851, Herman Melville completed "Moby Dick" while living in the house. Read More

                                                                              Artesia Historical Museum and Art Center

                                                                                Two well preserved turn of the century homes house a historical museum and art gallery. Read More

                                                                                Henry Clay Mansion

                                                                                Ashland

                                                                                0.0

                                                                                  The home of Henry Clay from 1811 until his death in 1852. The house is surrounded by gardens and woodlands, and is furnished with family possessions. Read More

                                                                                  Ashland

                                                                                    The Ashland mansion is the centerpiece of the Henry Clay estate today just as it was during Clay’s lifetime. The present structure was completed by Clay’s son James in 1857 and stands on the site of the original Ashland mansion. The interior was remodeled by Clay’s granddaughter Anne Clay McDowell in the 1880s. Read More

                                                                                    Ashley House

                                                                                      The oldest dwelling in Befkshire County, the 1735 home is furnished in period. Read More

                                                                                      Jay Gould’s Private Rail Car

                                                                                      Atalanta

                                                                                      0.0

                                                                                        Not really a house, Atalanta is the restored private railroad car of George Jay Gould, built in 1890. With interior mahogany woodwork, four staterooms, a dining room, lounge, kitchen, pantry, and bathroom, it's kind of a mini mansion on wheels. Read More

                                                                                        Atwood

                                                                                          Your journey begins with a tour of the historical dwelling built circa 1752 by Chatham sea captain Joseph Atwood, and occupied by his descendants for some five generations. Since 1927, this Cape Cod style home has been carefully preserved as an historical house museumoffering the rare opportunity to experience Cape Cod life, art, and culture of the 18th and… Read More

                                                                                          Audrain County Historical Society

                                                                                            Graceland was built in 1857 and the second owner, Colby T. Quisenberry, brought the first blooded horses into Audrain County from Kentucky. Rooms are furnished in period and a collection of wedding dresses and dolls. Read More

                                                                                            Oakley

                                                                                              The tall, airy house where John James Audubon stayed is a splendid example of colonial architecture adapted to its climate. Built circa 1806, Oakley predates the relatively heavy details of classic revival in Southern plantation homes and claims distinction for its beautiful simplicity. The rooms of Oakley have been restored in the style of the late Federal Period (1790-1830),… Read More

                                                                                              Babcock-Smith

                                                                                                The Georgian Mansion (circa 1734) is the former home of the Babcocks and Smiths. The mansion is elegantly furnished with pieces reflecting the Colonial Babcock years, the Victorian Smith years, and colonial restoration of 1928. Historians and antique-lovers alike will enjoy all the museum has to offer! Read More

                                                                                                Bacon's Castle

                                                                                                  Bacon's Castle is the oldest brick dwelling in North America and was built for Arthur Allen and his family in 1665. Originally known as Allen's Brick House, it earned the moniker "Bacon's Castle" in 1676 when several of Nathaniel Bacon's men occupied the home for four months during the uprising that became known as Bacon's Rebellion. Read More

                                                                                                  Bainbridge

                                                                                                    Built in 1766 by Job Stockton, a prosperous tanner and cousin of Richard Stockton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Bainbridge House is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Princeton and one of the area's best preserved examples of mid-Georgian architecture. Read More

                                                                                                    Baker Mansion

                                                                                                      Baker Mansion was originally home to ironmaster Elias Baker and his family. Baker purchased the nearby Alleghany Furnace in 1836 in partnership with his cousin Roland Diller. Elias brought his wife, Hetty, and their two sons, David Woods and Sylvester, from Lancaster County to what was described as a “tolerable good mansion house” near the furnace. Read More

                                                                                                      Balch House

                                                                                                        The 1636 frame house was occupied by the Balch family until 1914 and is furnished in period. Read More

                                                                                                        Banning Museum

                                                                                                          The 23-room residence remains the finest example of domestic Greek Revival architecture in Southern California. The house interiors have been carefully restored to their Victorian beauty, and 18 rooms are open to the public. Read More

                                                                                                          7 Gables

                                                                                                            The House of Seven Gables, dating from 1860, has been recognized as an outstanding example of Gothic Revival or Carpenter Gothic architecture. It was likely inspired by the pattern books authored by Victorian architectural tastemaker, Andrew Jackson Downing. It is a true "Gingerbread House" with board and batten siding, steeply pitched gables with ornamental bargeboards and drop pendants as… Read More

                                                                                                            Barker Mansion

                                                                                                              Barker Mansion is the former residence of local millionaire-industrialist, John H. Barker, who built the Haskell & Barker Railroad Car Company, which later became Pullman-Standard. The mansion was built in 1857, and shortly after the elaborate 38 room structure was finished, both Mr. and Mrs. Barker passed away, leaving the mansion and the Barker fortune to their only child,… Read More

                                                                                                              Barney Ford House

                                                                                                                Visit this 1882 Victorian home in downtown Breckenridge. It was recently restored as a tribute to Barney L. Ford who was the son of a Virginia slave. Barney Ford escaped slavery via the Underground Railroad and achieved success in Breckenridge and throughout the west as a prominent businessman, civic leader, black rights advocate, and mine owner. Read More

                                                                                                                Barrett House

                                                                                                                  Barrett House, also known as Forest Hall, was built c. 1800 by Charles Barrett Sr. for his son Charles Jr. and daughter-in-law Martha Minot on the occasion of their marriage. According to tradition, its grand scale was encouraged by Martha’s father, who promised to furnish the house in as lavish a manner as Barrett Sr. could build it. Read More

                                                                                                                  Barrington Hall

                                                                                                                    The home of Barrington King who with his father, Roswell King, co-founded the town of Roswell, GA. The Greek Revival Temple Form home has been lovingly restored and contains many original family possessions. The seven acres of grounds feature the only public antebellum garden in metro Atlanta Read More

                                                                                                                    Bartow-Pell Mansion

                                                                                                                      Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum, with its splendid Greek Revival interiors, is tucked away in a lovely, quiet corner of Pelham Bay Park – an area that was once home to more than 20 elegant country estates. As the only grand country house still in existence on Pelham Bay, it provides an important link to the social and architectural history of… Read More

                                                                                                                      Anderson House

                                                                                                                        People called Oliver Anderson’s house “the best arranged dwelling house west of St. Louis.” But it became more famous as the center of a bloody three-day Civil War battle in 1861. Walk through the Anderson House at Battle of Lexington Historic Site and marvel at the bullet holes still in the walls and evidence of the cannon shots. Read More

                                                                                                                        Bayless-Selby House

                                                                                                                          Restored 1898 Queen Anne-style Victorian home completely furnished, with Victorian gardens. Shows late 19th-century Denton home and lifestyle. Read More

                                                                                                                          Beall-Dawson House

                                                                                                                            The Beall-Dawson House was built circa 1815 for Upton Beall and his wife and daughters. Beall, from a prominent Georgetown family, was Clerk of the Court for the county, and he wanted a home that would reflect his wealth and status. In 1815 Rockville was a small rural community, despite being the county seat and an important cross-roads town.… Read More

                                                                                                                            Beauport

                                                                                                                              Beauport, Sleeper-McCann House, was the summer home of one of America’s first professional interior designers, Henry Davis Sleeper. Perched on a rock ledge overlooking Gloucester Harbor, Beauport became Sleeper’s retreat, backdrop for entertaining, professional showcase, and an inspiration to all who visited. After Sleeper’s death, Beauport was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Charles McCann, who left most of Sleeper’s… Read More

                                                                                                                              Beauvoir

                                                                                                                              Beauvoir

                                                                                                                              0.0

                                                                                                                                Beauvoir was the last home of Jefferson Davis and it was the site of his retirement. The house was built by James Brown, a wealthy plantation owner from Madison County, Mississippi. The house was started in late 1848 and was completed in 1852. The house was built as a summer home for his wife and his (eventually 13) children.… Read More

                                                                                                                                Beehive House

                                                                                                                                  The Beehive House was built between 1853 and 1855 and served as home to Brigham Young when he was President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and governor of the Utah Territory. Read More

                                                                                                                                  Beekman House

                                                                                                                                    Cornelius C. Beekman built this 1 1/2 story Gothic Revival style home for his wife and two children between 1870 and 1876. When the family moved in, Beekman was already well established in his downtown bank where he bought, sold, and shipped gold; served as a Wells Fargo Express agent; sold school supplies; and dealt in real estate. Read More

                                                                                                                                    Belle Boyd Cottage

                                                                                                                                      Belle Boyd Cottage has served as a tavern, private residence, military headquarters, apartment building, and store room. At the time of the Civil War, this cottage wa the residence of Belle Boyd's aunt and uncle. Belle Boyd stayed in the cottage using the opportunity to spy on Federal troops occupying the town. The cottage has been restored as a… Read More

                                                                                                                                      Belle Grove

                                                                                                                                        Belle Grove is located in the northern Shenandoah Valley near Middletown, Virginia. It was the home Major Isaac Hite and his wife Nelly Madison Hite, sister of President James Madison. Major Hite, grandson of Shenandoah Valley Pioneer Jost Hite, used enslaved labor to expand his original 483 acres to a prosperous 7500 acre plantation, growing wheat, raising livestock, and… Read More

                                                                                                                                        Belle Meade Plantation

                                                                                                                                          The Greek Revival Mansion built in 1854 features a grand curved stairway, 14 foot ceilings and classic proportions. There is also a carriage house that displays 20 carriages. Read More

                                                                                                                                          Bellingrath

                                                                                                                                            The 15-room Home was built in 1935 and designed by prominent Mobile architect, George B. Rogers. It encompasses 10,500 square feet. The exterior of the Home features hand-made brick salvaged in Mobile from the 1852 birthplace of Alva Smith Vanderbilt Belmont. Ironwork was obtained from the recently demolished Southern Hotel, also in Mobile. The result was dubbed English Renaissance… Read More

                                                                                                                                            Belmont

                                                                                                                                              An ornate Italianate Villa built in the 1850s for Adelica Acklen, one of the country's wealthiest women. The home contains an arch ceilinged ballroom, a grand staircase, heavy marble mantels, period furnishings and artwork collected by the original owners. Read More

                                                                                                                                              Belvedere Mansion

                                                                                                                                                Built in 1857 by J. Russell Jones, a steamboat owner and ambassador to Belgium. The 22 room Italianate mansion contains decorative arts and period furnishings. Read More

                                                                                                                                                Belvidere Mansion

                                                                                                                                                  The Belvidere Mansion is a 3 story 1902 Victorian style mansion located in Rogers County and the City of Claremore, Oklahoma three blocks from historic Route 66. The Belvidere is managed by the Rogers County Historical Society. Read More

                                                                                                                                                  BEMBRIDGE HOUSE

                                                                                                                                                    Bembridge House is a Queen Anne Victorian house that was built in 1906. It has 18 rooms, and has been preserved with its original high ceilings, woodwork, and many of the original furnishings. It is considered the most ornate Victorian residence in Long Beach with hand-carved woodwork, stained and leaded glass, and a tiled fireplace. Read More

                                                                                                                                                    Bement Farmstead Museum

                                                                                                                                                      The Bement-Billings Farmstead features the Federal style house built in 1794 by Revolutionary War veteran Asa Bement, on land that was part of the Boston Purchase. This living history museum is staffed on summer weekends by costumed volunteers who cook on the open hearth and give tours. Asa’s son added a formal Greek Revival parlor, additional bedrooms, and a… Read More

                                                                                                                                                      2019-Autumn-Gathering-17-1400×937

                                                                                                                                                        The Benjamin Nye Homestead & Museum is a home built by Benjamin Nye in 1678. A docent will guide you through seven rooms, each reflecting a different era. Read More

                                                                                                                                                        Benjamin Harrison House

                                                                                                                                                          As a successful attorney, Benjamin Harrison purchased a double lot on the west side of North Delaware Street at auction in 1867. In 1874 be began construction of his 16 room Italianate style house, a carriage house, brick drive and landscaping. The cost was $24,818.67. Except for the periods 1881 to 1887, when Harrison was in the US Senate… Read More

                                                                                                                                                          Bennett Place

                                                                                                                                                            This simple farmhouse was situated between Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's headquarters in Greensboro, and Union Gen. William T. Sherman's headquarters in Raleigh. In April 1865, the two commanders met at the Bennett Place, where they signed surrender papers for Southern armies in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. It was the largest troop surrender of the American Civil War. Read More

                                                                                                                                                            Berkeley Plantation

                                                                                                                                                              Site of the first Thanksgiving, and birthplace of President William Harrison and Declaration of Independence signer Benjamin Harrison V. Read More

                                                                                                                                                              Bernhard Museum

                                                                                                                                                                The historic Bernhard Museum Complex has seen over 150 years of history roll by. The structure was built in 1851 by George Bishop and John Long as the Traveler's Rest Hotel and is one of Auburn's oldest surviving buildings. During the Gold Rush this rustic establishment hosted teamsters traveling the old Auburn Folsom Road and miners who were working… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                Betsy Ross House

                                                                                                                                                                  The 1937 Philadelphia Guide noted that, after the current Betsy Ross House was selected as the Flag House, the adjacent building where Ross may have indeed lived "was torn down to lessen the hazards of fire, perhaps adding a touch of irony to what may well have been an error in research." Although the house is one of the… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                  Tacy House

                                                                                                                                                                    MN Author Maud Hart Lovelace childhood home. As depicted in her series of Betsy-Tacy books, these are the childhood homes of Maud Hart Lovelace (Betsy) and "Bick"" Kenney (Tacy). In 1938 Maud began writing Betsy-Tacy Read More

                                                                                                                                                                    Beyer Home

                                                                                                                                                                      This historic house was built in 1868 by Cyrus and Kitty Hart; it is believed to be one of the first brick homes in the county with the bricks being shipped to Oconto from DePere. The building passed through several owners before becoming the home of George and Fanny Beyer in 1881. Though the original structure was an Italianate-style,… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                      Biddle-House

                                                                                                                                                                        Step into the home of Agatha and Edward Biddle, merchants who moved in around 1830. This was a time of change, and the 1830s were critical to the Biddles for another reason: as an Anishnaabek woman, Agatha and other indigenous people witnessed their culture subjected to immense changes. The decade transformed the Anishnaabek, linking old ways with Michigan’s modern… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                        Bidwell

                                                                                                                                                                          The Bidwell House Museum, set in the Berkshire hills of Western Massachusetts, is an elegant Georgian saltbox originally built circa 1750 as a parsonage. Authentically restored, filled with antiques and surrounded by 192 acres of beautiful grounds and hiking trails, the museum tells the story of the early settlement of the Berkshires. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                          Bidwell Mansion

                                                                                                                                                                          Bidwell Mansion

                                                                                                                                                                          0.0 $$$$

                                                                                                                                                                            Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park is a beautiful, three-story, 26 room Victorian House Museum that stands as a memorial to John and Annie Bidwell. John Bidwell was known throughout California and across the nation as an important pioneer, farmer, soldier, statesman, politician and philanthropist. Annie Ellicott Kennedy Bidwell, the daughter of a socially prominent, high ranking Washington official, was… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                            Billie Creek Village

                                                                                                                                                                              This re-created early 20th-century village is comprised of 38 authentic buildings moved to the site. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                              Billings Farm

                                                                                                                                                                                The restored Farm Manager's house is a living history center offering a look at the Billings farm as it was in the 1890s. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                Biltmore

                                                                                                                                                                                Biltmore

                                                                                                                                                                                0.0

                                                                                                                                                                                  A working estate that would sustain itself and benefit the community. America's largest home. Acres of gardens, parklands, and managed forests. A country retreat for friends and family. This was George Vanderbilt's vision for Biltmore Estate more than 100 years ago, and it lives to this day. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                  Bing Crosby House

                                                                                                                                                                                    Gonzaga University houses a large collection of material relating to 20th Century singer and actor Harry Lillis (Bing) Crosby, a native of Spokane and alumnus of Gonzaga. Now part of Gonzaga, Crosby's childhood home was built in 1911 and still stands at its original location. The main floor houses over 200 Crosby items including gold records, trophies, awards, and… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                    Bingham-Waggoner Estate

                                                                                                                                                                                      Built in 1855, the 22 room mansion was the home of artist George Caleb Bingham from 1864 to 1870. In 1879 the Waggoner family purchased the estate. During the 1890s the house was extensively remodeled and it is being restored to that period. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                      Bishops Palace

                                                                                                                                                                                        Started in 1886, the mansion was completed 7 years later at a cost of $250,000. The interior features a handcarved staircase, jeweled glass windows, and mantels that won awards when displayed at various world fairs. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                        Black Point

                                                                                                                                                                                          In 1888, the Seipp family completed the 20-room Queen Anne-style mansion on the site, which included 13 bedrooms. Unfortunately, Seipp was able to enjoy the house and gardens for only two seasons before his death in 1890. His family and four generations of descendants, however, never abandoned Conrad's dream. The original furnishings remained in the house while each generation… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                          Blanchard's

                                                                                                                                                                                            Blanchard' s Tavern in Avon dates back to the Revolutionary War. It served as a tavern and general store through much of the nineteenth century . In 1937 it became the Avon Town Hall and in 1975 was restored as a colonial tavern offering drinks, snacks, and entertainment of the period . There is also he Captain Samuel Robbins… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                            Blanco Pioneer Museum

                                                                                                                                                                                              The Blanco Pioneer Museum opened in the Pat Ryan Building in 2009. Just a block off the Courthouse Square, the museum is used for genealogical and historical exhibits and events. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                              Blandwood

                                                                                                                                                                                              Blandwood

                                                                                                                                                                                              0.0

                                                                                                                                                                                                Constructed by Charles Bland on the crest of a hill on his wooded farm, the earliest portions of the Blandwood were completed in 1795. The simple two-story farmhouse was later purchased by Governor Morehead, and subsequently expanded according to plans drawn by nationally renowned architect Alexander Jackson Davis of New York. Davis designed additions in the Italianate style villa… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                                Blithewold

                                                                                                                                                                                                Blithewold

                                                                                                                                                                                                0.0 $$$$

                                                                                                                                                                                                  Ranked by Yankee Magazine as one of the five best public gardens in New England, Blithewold, formerly home to the Van Wickle family, is a 45-room English-style manor mansion filled with family heirlooms, framed by a series of lovely gardens and arboretum on Narragansett Bay. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                                  Blount Mansion

                                                                                                                                                                                                    One of the first frame houses west of the Alleghenies, the 1792 house is furnished with original and period pieces. The 1818 Craighead-Jackson House, next to the mansion, offers changing exhibits. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                                    Bodie

                                                                                                                                                                                                      Bodie State Historic Park is a genuine California gold-mining ghost town. Visitors can walk down the deserted streets of a town that once had a population of nearly 10,000 people. The town is named for Waterman S. Body (William Bodey), who had discovered small amounts of gold in hills north of Mono Lake. In 1875, a mine cave-in revealed… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                                      Bonnet House

                                                                                                                                                                                                        The whimsical ambience of Bonnet House is a product of the creative synergy that existed between Frederic and his wife Evelyn and the happiness and comfort they experienced in one another. Though the strictest preservation standards are practiced, the house still feels as if the owners had just stepped out. All the furnishings and ephemera on exhibit are original… Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                                        Booker T Washington National Monument

                                                                                                                                                                                                          Booker T. Washington was born a slave in April 1856 on the 207-acre farm of James Burroughs. After the Civil War, Washington became the first principal of Tuskegee Normal and Industrial School. Later as an adviser, author and orator, his past would influence his philosophies as the most influential African American of his era. Read More

                                                                                                                                                                                                          1 2 3 12